Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Changes in TV broadcasting

It's funny how network daytime TV has changed in a few short years. Most of the primary it was always a morning show, game show, and the afternoon news, then soaps and talk shows. Now the shows that ran for decades are becoming fewer and fewer and the replacements (usually some chat show like The Talk) don't last long.

I don't even watch daytime TV much as I'm not home, but from what I've seen this is the case.

I also notice PBS airs fewer children's programming than they once did. I recall as a kid there were several in the mornings such as Shining Time Station, Mister Rogers, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, etc. and then several in the evenings. Now it's just one or two shows in the evenings.

There are a lot of things I miss about TV as a kid. It seems everything stayed pretty strong until about 2005/06 and that's when all of the changes started. I remember my mom watching all of those soap operas and during the time I was in college they all started going away one by one. lol I wonder if there are fewer women at home to watch them or they were just too expensive to produce.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes indeed .It changed for the worse.The tele dont go on here like it used too these days.I got rid of the extended basic cable years ago. I'm glad to see The Price Is right is still going on CBS.Its like AM radio went to news talk back in the 70's and 80's so no more AM gold.Whats left of the viewers are dumped down to the current crap on the air like no brainer reality crap shows,BS talk shows.Proctor and Gamble has to give up their soaps to this current rubbish which is on now.I have no idea how the local stations keep up with the FCC's rules with Childrens E/I programming these days.I never see them air kids shows anymore.Late night is not funny anymore since all the good late night hosts retired.Jimmy Fallon is great but the rest are not as funny.I rather see a late night movie or a drama show like CBS on CBS late Saturday night.
Another thing is today is the networks and locals got carried away with their news programming taking over the schedule like 4 am to 10 am and 4pm to 7pm.
Thank God for the internet and Youtube.I can watch my favorites all day for free.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I seldom watch TV and then only "oldies" or educational (and cars!). I listen profusely to AM radio and can still hear music on my long-range modified radios, especially at night.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fully agree on that. And Fox network has news from 10-midnight now, along with 4-10am.

Not to mention most networks showing mostly infomercials during the day on weekends now.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:27 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
It's funny how network daytime TV has changed in a few short years. Most of the primary it was always a morning show, game show, and the afternoon news, then soaps and talk shows. Now the shows that ran for decades are becoming fewer and fewer and the replacements (usually some chat show like The Talk) don't last long.

I don't even watch daytime TV much as I'm not home, but from what I've seen this is the case.

I also notice PBS airs fewer children's programming than they once did. I recall as a kid there were several in the mornings such as Shining Time Station, Mister Rogers, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, etc. and then several in the evenings. Now it's just one or two shows in the evenings.

There are a lot of things I miss about TV as a kid. It seems everything stayed pretty strong until about 2005/06 and that's when all of the changes started. I remember my mom watching all of those soap operas and during the time I was in college they all started going away one by one. lol I wonder if there are fewer women at home to watch them or they were just too expensive to produce.
I've noticed that too. I keep thinking back to the 1970's when I was on summer vacation from grade school, grandma used to come over to live with us to watch me since Mom had to work and being divorced, she was a single parent. We used to watch TV together, from game shows, the noon news (in Pittsburgh, local legendary host Bill Burns anchors the show, it was popular to say, "turn on Bill Burns.") and then she'd go into her soaps. By then I went out to play. I remember game shows like "Joker's Wild," "Let's Make a Deal" (IIRC I think Monty Hall is still alive) , "Concentration" (with Pittsburgh born Bill Cullen, IIRC,), "Gambit" and later, "Tic Tac Dough" with Wink Martindale (he's still around too) and many others. Of course, there was the Price is Right and as the decades progressed, "Press Your Luck."

Oh yeah, can't forget "Match Game 7x" either. Gene Rayburn had class. I liked the joke Bob Barker made one time on the Price is Right where a person spun the wheel so hard, that id he got caught and went under, "he would appear on the set of Match Game on the other side. I remember the prizes then too, Chevy Vegas, one time a small Cessna airplane, Commodore PET computer (on Let's Make a Deal) and of course, the Buick Opels.

When we came in outside for a snack and a break, we would watch the Afternoon movies or cartoons, usually WPGH and WPTT in Pittsburgh ran cartoons and WKBN out of Youngstown ran "The Money Movie" where htey call people and if they were watching, if they guess the amount of the jackpot correctly, they'd win the money. They would play movies like the grade b sci-fi ones, the old Planet of the Apes TV series and so on. We'd also watch things like Lost in Space and others on the local channels. I remember on Sunday nights, "The Wonderful World of Disney."

As we went into the 1980's, summer vacation, sometimes I'd watch the CBS Late Movie. Back in 1981, I had swollen glands and was on meds from the doctors. I could not sleep so I watch the CBS miniseries on Jim Jones and the People's Temple all through the night that summer. Powers Boothe wa awesome, then on, he became my favorite actor.

I was born in 1966. I turned 50 a few weeks ago (July 8th). I feel I grew up in one of the best times and last good time to be a kid. There are times I wish I was 20 or 30 years younger, like most of us do, but if I had to give up all those experiences, both bad a good, I would say no.

BTW, I heard some characters from Sesame Street, even some from the beginning, got the boot. I bet Jim Henson, and his son now, are rolling in their graves.
Audiokarma
Old 07-30-2016, 03:31 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Yes indeed .It changed for the worse.The tele dont go on here like it used too these days.I got rid of the extended basic cable years ago. I'm glad to see The Price Is right is still going on CBS.Its like AM radio went to news talk back in the 70's and 80's so no more AM gold.Whats left of the viewers are dumped down to the current crap on the air like no brainer reality crap shows,BS talk shows.Proctor and Gamble has to give up their soaps to this current rubbish which is on now.I have no idea how the local stations keep up with the FCC's rules with Childrens E/I programming these days.I never see them air kids shows anymore.Late night is not funny anymore since all the good late night hosts retired.Jimmy Fallon is great but the rest are not as funny.I rather see a late night movie or a drama show like CBS on CBS late Saturday night.
Another thing is today is the networks and locals got carried away with their news programming taking over the schedule like 4 am to 10 am and 4pm to 7pm.
Thank God for the internet and Youtube.I can watch my favorites all day for free.
I know, I remember when Saturday Morning cartoons were king when you were a kid. I remember Beaver Cleaver said, "Saturdays are the only good day to be a kid." Well, that has gone down the commode too. I keep thiking back, even when I was in high school, getting up on a cold, winter Saturday morning and sitting on the couch with a robe on and a cat on my lap watching "The Smurfs" as Mom made breakfast. Well the cartoons are gone now and so is Mom but I treasure those memories.

If you want oodles of cartoons and anime (I'm into anime too). try www.kisscartoon.com
Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I know, I remember when Saturday Morning cartoons were king when you were a kid. I remember Beaver Cleaver said, "Saturdays are the only good day to be a kid." Well, that has gone down the commode too. I keep thiking back, even when I was in high school, getting up on a cold, winter Saturday morning and sitting on the couch with a robe on and a cat on my lap watching "The Smurfs" as Mom made breakfast. Well the cartoons are gone now and so is Mom but I treasure those memories.

If you want oodles of cartoons and anime (I'm into anime too). try www.kisscartoon.com
Thanks for the anime link.Yes I remember the Saturday morning cartoons in the mid 1970's when I was a kid.Also I enjoyed those CBS "In The News" segments with the late great Christopher Glenn. Also stations used too run cartoons after school around 3pm after the soaps also with the ABC After School Specials.Now they have court shows,Talk shows ,Infomercials, and early evening news in the time slots.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crt89 View Post
Fully agree on that. And Fox network has news from 10-midnight now, along with 4-10am.

Not to mention most networks showing mostly infomercials during the day on weekends now.
I think they want to try to compete with cables CNN,Fox News,MSNBC and others back when they started to take over the non news time slots.Now they have to compete with the internet.

Yes .I agree.i forgot to mention about the infomercials in my previous post.The only ones I do enjoy are the Time /Life music collections with some classic pop /rock/country artists hosting the show.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:28 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I literally cannot stand to watch TV for more than 1/2 an hour to an hour. We have Charter cable, and I absolutely despise it. Nonstop commercials on every channel. All 2000 of them. On top of that, almost everything is in letterbox. When I get my first roundie in a couple of months, it will probably be like shoving a square peg in a round hole.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I literally cannot stand to watch TV for more than 1/2 an hour to an hour. We have Charter cable, and I absolutely despise it. Nonstop commercials on every channel. All 2000 of them. On top of that, almost everything is in letterbox. When I get my first roundie in a couple of months, it will probably be like shoving a square peg in a round hole.
Letter box is actually a bit nicer on a roundy since almost half of it gets hidden by the corners of the mask...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2016, 11:21 AM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks for the anime link.Yes I remember the Saturday morning cartoons in the mid 1970's when I was a kid.Also I enjoyed those CBS "In The News" segments with the late great Christopher Glenn. Also stations used too run cartoons after school around 3pm after the soaps also with the ABC After School Specials.Now they have court shows,Talk shows ,Infomercials, and early evening news in the time slots.
I remember those too along with Schoolhouse Rock. BTW, you're welcome. One thing I wish MeTV would do is run classic cartoons/kid's shows from the 8 AM to Noon slot on Saturdays.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:35 PM
M is for Memory

I bet the decline of kids shows on networks has to do with the dedicated kids channels now on DTV...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I bet the decline of kids shows on networks has to do with the dedicated kids channels now on DTV...
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is the case. Cable TV itself has several kids' channels (Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., TeenNick, et al.); this could well be one of many reasons why the broadcast networks don't have kids' shows on Saturday morning anymore. I can remember when the networks had an entire block of time on Saturdays (usually 8 a.m. to noon, local time) reserved for childrens' programming, but that was before cable and, later, DTV.

NBC still has kids' programming on Saturday mornings, but it's nothing like what it was in the '60s and '70s. NBC's childrens' shows come from Sprout, a kids' cable TV channel, and are distributed over the network under the "NBC Kids" branding.

BTW, cable, satellite, DTV, Roku ... have changed the landscape of American TV forever. There is nothing we can do about it; it could well be a cost-cutting move on the broadcast networks' part or some other reason, but whatever it is, that's how it is nowadays, like it or not.

One thing I've noticed on cable lately, however, is the return in reruns of some kids' shows such as Saved by the Bell, a live-action show aimed at teenagers which aired in the late '80s and nineties on NBC Saturday mornings. The program is now on MeTV on Sunday afternoons. It is rated "e/i", which means it is educational and informative.

For decades, childrens' programming on Saturday mornings was mostly animated cartoons; however, in the early part of this century, I think the FCC may have pressured the networks to put more educational shows on TV during this time period so that kids would actually learn something while sitting in front of the TV, instead of watching those animated shows which were not educational in the least.

One other problem with some of the animated shows was they were (or might have been) too violent for kids, although this was not an issue in the '60s-'70s. It is much more so today, with all the gun violence going on in this country; the last thing kids need to be exposed to on Saturday morning TV is scenes showing cartoon characters being shot or killed by guns. One serious problem with this type of cartoon is that the character(s) who were supposedly shot and killed would get back up again in the next scene, which gives children absolutely the wrong idea about killing; in real life, of course, when a person is killed, they do not get up--EVER--regardless of what the kids may see on TV.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 07-31-2016 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-31-2016, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I remember those too along with Schoolhouse Rock. BTW, you're welcome. One thing I wish MeTV would do is run classic cartoons/kid's shows from the 8 AM to Noon slot on Saturdays.
I forgot about Schoolhouse Rock.That would be a great idea for MeTV channel.

Quote:
Yes I agree.Disney,Cartoon channel and others took over the job as the same as the cable news channels like I said before is or has been eating away from the nets and the locals.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Yes .They are shrinking the running times or speeding up of the programs to stuff more adverts in to get more cash to pay the programming and its staff wages.Also now the locals are stiffing us cable users with the Broadcast TV fees of $3.50 to $5.00 buck a month per subscriber to pad the stations broadcast rights fees and keep their channels on the cable.I cant blame the cable companies for those charges.They are just covering their ass to keep the stations in their line up without having the stations pull out .I figure the stations should be just happy they are to be carried on a cable systems these days since todays current DTV OTA coverage sucks big time.

Quote:
Letter box is actually a bit nicer on a roundy since almost half of it gets hidden by the corners of the mask...
The letterbox thing does not bother me like it did years ago .I'm now glad they are doing it and not cropping to 4.3 for us analog TV fans .
Audiokarma