Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

First-generation Apple TV units will also support at least component, if not composite. They are ultimately more flexible/hackable than a disc player. It may be easier to find one than finding a specific player, but finding a composite-capable streaming player of some sort seems easy, too. So, you have options...

Chip
Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found a number of HDMI to composite analog with audio converters on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE.../dp/B008FO7PQA

I bought one earlier. The ting you need to look for is to find correct aspect ration translation eg 16x9 to 4x3 letterbox or 4x3 center cut. Unfortunately the one I found only does 16x9 source HDMI to 16x9 composite. This means that you will get an anamorphically squeezed image on a 4x3 display.

But that was some time ago and perhaps there is one that now facilitates the prefered aspect ratio.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not saying it's necessarily the cheapest option, but I use my PS3 for youtube, netflix, dvd, and blu-ray playing. I believe it s a Gen 1, and can output as composite with the right cable.
Just a suggestion, for all I know you might have one in the next room...
Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another device you could use for streaming and playing local media files is the WD TV Live, made by Western Digital. It includes YouTube and other streaming sources, but also has the capability to use a USB stick or USB hard drive and play media files (pictures, audio, and movies) directly from it. Or, you can point it to another PC/server on your network to play files from that. And it has composite and HDMI outputs.

I have one of these and it is very useful. Mine is actually a model that has a built-in hard drive, but that one is, sadly, discontinued.

I also have Roku players, which are also very nice, but more tailored for streaming services. They do support playing local files from a USB device, but aren't as versatile in that regard as the WD TV Live.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Administrator

The Roku 2 & 3 still have analog outputs: http://www.roku.com/products/compare

$50 for the cheapest one and they have a terrifically simple user interface.

You can also pick up first generation Rokus on ebay cheap, I know they will work well with an r.f. modulator because I've used mine on several old sets including a Predicta.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roku-TC2N100...item3cdf572f37

The Roku is still my favorite streaming device because of it's super easy to use menu, I have a TV and a Bluray player with streaming and the Roku is by far the easiest to navigate.
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, the Roku does work well with an RF modulator; I had one hooked up to my PortaColor until the latter quit working. I have the Roku 2 XS, which is one generation older than the current models. If looking for a used Roku, I strongly suggest the 2 XS, because it has Ethernet, WiFi, and analog output. The current models which have analog output don't have Ethernet.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:26 PM
RCA 741PCS

The Roku 3 is HDMI only according to their website. Also, it's my understanding that YouTube only works on the Roku 3.