Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello! I'm 18 and all my friends think I'm weird because I shoot on VHS and Hi8.

The truth is, I just love the warm, imperfect qualities of analog videotape. It yields results that look totally different than something shot on a DSLR. Not "worse" as many people claim, just a totally different take on things. And no ugly digital compression artifacts!
Old 03-21-2015, 02:21 PM
M is for Memory

Yeah, I time shifted/archived TV on S-VHS until about 3 years ago when most of the cable channels started digitally compressing their video rather noticeably, then switched to DVD-R since it did not add worse artifacts than what was already coming down the pipe live. There are some things like subtle motion and light changes that digital may never get right (or at least invest the bandwidth/memory to get right). If you like a decent amount of pre-Y2K movies you might want to look for a used LaserDisc video player...It is perhaps the best consumer analog video format in existence.

Welcome to the empty state TV repair man's net forum.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 03-21-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

Welcome to the empty state TV repair man's net forum.
I like that. I've also heard it called "hollow state."
Old 03-21-2015, 03:01 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Old TVs are better!

Glad to see someone your age taking an interested in the old analog stuff. I still watch a lot of movies on VHS, and somehow playing music off the web just isn't the same as putting the needle on a vinyl record, or playing an 8 track as it clicks tracks right in the middle of a song. There never was nothing really wrong with VHS, analog, Beta, records etc, except the manufacturers just want people to keep buying and spending more money. I love repairing the old stuff. I hope you develop an interest in keeping the old technology alive. I am 64 years old, and I was " weird" too, when I was young, recording on an old wire recorder, cutting records on my old Recordio, and watching a B&W TV. I remember taking videos on a VHS camcorder when my 2 sons were in school of their events and track meets, etc. Made me feel important having that big old camcorder up on my shoulder shooting video. I still have it and it still works, but the 2 batteries I have for it are dead, so unless I'm taking video within range of a outlet or extension cord, it's kind of useless now, but those were the days when taking and watching your own videos were actually fun. Now everyone has cell phones that can take video, and do nearly everything, but that just isn't as much fun as it was when you put in a VHS tape and actually watched your own movies.
Audiokarma
Old 03-22-2015, 05:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome !
Nice to see a young'un appreciate the way thing were. Nothing
like audio from a tube Hi-Fi or the picture on a roundie or
a first generation solid state console. The warmth is like
being in your mothers arms..........
Dont forget the other old stuff like cars, fans, can openers
and appliances that work for 50 yrs often. The list is LONG.

73 Zeno
Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've heard there was a cult following of amateur filmmakers using the Fisher-Price PXL-2000, but this is the first I am hearing about VHS!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Nice one. I have a full-size RCA VHS camcorder that I got about a year ago. I haven't used it but that's because I don't yet have regular filming opportunities.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-120 View Post
The truth is, I just love the warm, imperfect qualities of analog videotape. It yields results that look totally different than something shot on a DSLR. Not "worse" as many people claim, just a totally different take on things. And no ugly digital compression artifacts!
Yes!! Couldn't agree more. To me, the Hi8 was the last 'Real' camcorder. In addition to the warmth, 'Real' means it has a full frame or 'global' shutter as opposed to the 'scrolling-line' shutter. The scrolling-line is what produces the banana-ing or 'venetian blind' effect on rotating objects, and the 'wavy-jello' effect from any vibration of the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=ro...shutter+effect
Whereas the full-frame correctly renders things like fans and propeller discs, and doesn't do the wavy-gravy thing from vibration.

Last edited by old_coot88; 03-24-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome aboard T120.I agree 100 percent.That makes two of us.I still record TV on VHS. I will continue until the VHS supply runs dry.

I always say digital is great with a computer but when digital without a computer in stand alone stuff .Its crap.

I still have all of my old pro video tape equipment along with my turntables and vinyl.

Last edited by centralradio; 03-24-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
I've heard there was a cult following of amateur filmmakers using the Fisher-Price PXL-2000, but this is the first I am hearing about VHS!
Yes Thats true.I have two of those here.I have a friend into making movies with the PXL2000.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Good to have some youngn's here ! !

Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was just thinking when I was 18.VHS and Beta were fighting with each other say who was better plus the movie industries Betamax case was starting up. .The machines were $1000 or more.The VCRs weight like a ton.The blank tapes were like $8 bucks a piece.Prerecorded movies were like $40 to $75 bucks.Rentals were not happening yet.

At that time there were no camcorders so we had the two piece setup.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Stuck in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Welcome !
Nice to see a young'un appreciate the way thing were. Nothing
like audio from a tube Hi-Fi or the picture on a roundie or
a first generation solid state console. The warmth is like
being in your mothers arms..........
Dont forget the other old stuff like cars, fans, can openers
and appliances that work for 50 yrs often. The list is LONG.

73 Zeno
I agree with that! Everything was built to last where now, everything is built to fail so you'll run out and buy again. I just picked up a refrigerator as a spare that was built in 1984 and still runs, got cold real quick.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:46 PM
i <3 my Denon

I'm in your boat. I love the look of analog video when I'm watching movies. It just...feels more like "i'm watching it at home" on a telecined analog format.

I get my analog fix from Laserdisc.
Audiokarma