Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

B&K Television Analyst

In another thread, it was recommended to me to use a B&K 1076 Television Analyst. I do not have one, and have looked on eBay at the various listings. I see models 1076 and 1077B; is one more desirable than the other? It seems that the difference is that the 1077 is a later update of the test set, but I wonder if one is nicer than the other in terms of usability, etc.

Also, as with anything on eBay, I know the buyer must beware. So, I'd be concerned about getting one that works and that I'd be able to trust to give accurate results. What do you guys typically do when getting test equipment from eBay? Are there any resources for getting the test sets tested & calibrated? Or, are there better places to look for purchasing test equipment?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

The usefulness of the B&K is that it has various signal outputs (like positive and negative video) that can be injected into a vintage TV to isolate a dead stage of circuitry.

However, as an accurate video test pattern source for setting size and linearity, it is not as good as a good test pattern DVD or an electronic cross-hatch generator. The TV Analyst is a monochrome flying spot scanner, so you can put large test pattern slides in it - but their accuracy will depend on the size and linearity settings of the B&K scanning CRT. It also contains a gated rainbow color generator, but you can get that pattern from an all-electronic generator too.

EDIT: here's a good page about it:
http://antiqueradio.org/BK1077BTelevisionAnalyst.htm
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

one thing to keep in mind as you start getting line operated test equipment, make sure you get an isolation transformer for hot chassis sets. Use of line operated test equipment on hot chassis sets will have you yelling great balls of fire now and then. You MUST use the isolation trans when ever servicing a hot chassis (and make sure you never plug in two items into the isolation at the same time).
Old 02-24-2014, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

B&K Television Analyst

Sage advice. I'll certainly be sure to do that. Would a variac type transformer be appropriate, or would it be better to get something like a Sencore PR57?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

sencore is great, but all you really need is a isolation transformer. Most variac's are autoformer type which do NOT provide isolation.

If you get an isolation transformer make sure its up to the task, I am not sure how they rate them, but figure you want something that can handle 4amps that should cover pretty much anything that you may ever come acrosss.

I have looked at the sencores PR57's they look nice but are not cheap. My rig is a homebrew with a isolation trans that is connected to a variac, with AC volt and AC amp meters so you can monitor both volts and amps while adjusting the voltage.
Audiokarma
Old 02-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

This may have been covered elsewhere, but what exactly are the differences between the 1077 and 1077B?

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

the 1077B is a later version, has solid state sweep on it. You can probably get a great deal on ebay for a sencore Va62. Also, I have sencore equipt for sale. Pr57, RCA isolation transformers, etc. I am on the verge of donating all this equipt and taking a tax credit. I have to clean out the shop. I just don't want the hassle of packing stuff up. I also have microfishe readers...and the BIG one at that along with Zenith, RCA, And NAP service literature on fishe for TV's and VCRS.