Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Testing caps with freeze spray .

I was watching a video of a man fixing a flat panel television and He got a tip from a tech that used freeze spray to freeze the cap if it was bad it would unfreeze fast and the one's next to them would stay frozen or cold . Has anyone heard for the techs doing this . I bet the final way to test them would to use a oscilloscope with component testing capabilities . Im wanting to service a VCR with a audio channel that comes in when warm and is out when cold . Im thinking theirs some kind of short in the FM audio board So I want to use this approach in serving her .

Let me know if this will work for me to test the caps by freezing them is see or find the problem . Old caps are the first place I would like to look at .But there's many of them and small too on the FM audio board too . Oh by the way I have a post on the repair , but haven't fixed her at this moment . I going to try to get a member to sell me his old vcr the same model as mine so I can get her going .
Old 01-12-2014, 01:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

That only works as a leakage test, and only then if the leakage is substantial. You can do the same thing by touching the capacitor. If it's warmer than the others, it's bad.

But capacitors have other failure modes, so it's not a very good test. A decent capacitor tester is fairly cheap.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

When you have a symptom of a cold start problem where the problem goes away as it warms up, you can track that down to a particular cap with freeze mist. Conversely you can sometimes make a device, power supply etc., work when it won't start or work properly cold by heating the capacitors with a heat gun or hair dryer.

That was my troubleshooting technique until I bought an ESR meter.

This computer I am on now will not start when it gets cold. I found that out when we lost power a month ago for 10 hours and the house got down to 45-50° F. Got out my heat gun, warmed up the puffed up caps, see attached, and got it up and running. Arrow points to one that vented with a little hole in the top. Haven't powered it off since! I have the replacement caps ready to install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compaq-bloatedcaps.jpg (77.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes I know you can get a cheap cap tester off ebay . But there's so many caps on the audio board that will spin your head around . I thing theirs about 50 caps or better on that board and there kind of small too . That's why I was thinking of freezing the board . I have already used a hair dryer on that board and no luck so far .

I was also think of using a oscilloscope with lissajous curve patterns . I see people having luck that way also you can test diodes and transistors too and I think some IC's too .But in my case My caps are smaller that pictured above too and I have many of them on the board too .
Old 01-18-2014, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I bought A ESR Meter from eBay For 30.00 used . Ill post a picture of it . So far I found about 10 bad electrolytic capacitors in the circuit . My next buy is a oscilloscope Maybe a sencore sc-61 .
Audiokarma
Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wouldn't buy a Sencore anything. I always prefer mainstream units, or occasionally a special Asian unit. I have a couple of extra 'scopes in case you are near the west coast.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

No Im not Im in the Chicago area . But im on hold for now The stupid Illinois Ipass fort there crook toll roads are fining me 120 buck for passing thru it without one . So I cant afford one right now , what crooks they are That's Big Government for you .
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 AM
RCA 741PCS

They aren't supposed to send out a notice until you have more than 3 violations and then it's a $20 fine. You can file a dispute here.

Last edited by bandersen; 01-21-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have like 5 or four . from the same time or day .I tried to pay online but couldn't see my plates so How can I pay for it , If I send them a money order they will say I never sent it . That's been happing to a lot of Wisconsin people . I think Illinois is trying to soak Wisconsin drivers on toll fines . I didn't even kind of know what that was I never travel the tollways anymore .
Old 01-21-2014, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

You can use freeze but keep in mind it often causes
changes with a good cap especially in a tuned circuit.
Also its not 100% on anything. Tracing with a scope usually
the best bet on something like this. If IC's are involved
you can look them up & find the block diagram if you
dont have a manual.
As far as tolls go in NH we are down to 3 I think. All on roads
that have to be expanded constantly due to too much growth.
When they take your $$ they usually smile & wave !
In Maine they have told me Maniac jokes a few times when
its slow..........

73 Zeno
Audiokarma
Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
M is for Memory

Illinois tolls suck! They have what...Quintupled in the decade or so since I lived there? Now that I don't live there anymore I kind of want to cover my license plate in mud, wear an Obama mask, drive through the open road tolling(the cameras snap the plate and drivers face) and get them back for all of that highway robbery they do. My dad once said that when Illinois introduced the tolls some decades ago that they were supposed to be a 'temporary' means of paying for some road projects....Yeah they outlived their temporary status LONG ago.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM
RCA 741PCS

Have you driven I-90 through Indiana or Ohio lately ? It's hardly just Illinois that charges steep tolls.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:33 AM
M is for Memory

We try to stay off the toll roads when going to the ETF (which is basically the only reason besides Web's we have to go out that way). It saves a fortune, the right routes on rural two lane highways tend to be faster/more direct, and the sights along the road tend to be more interesting. Though I do vaguely remember the tolls in Indiana being comparable to Chicago.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-23-2014, 01:23 AM
RCA 741PCS

You get a ticket when you enter the state and you present it when you get off the tollway. They charge you based on how far you traveled. Something like $8 to cross Indiana as I recall.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
they do. My dad once said that when Illinois introduced the tolls some decades ago that they were supposed to be a 'temporary' means of paying for some road projects....Yeah they outlived their temporary status LONG ago.
When I was little they built a bridge at Hampton Beach. It
was called either the nickel or the dime bridge. When it was paid for
the tolls ended the next day & booths were gone within weeks.
When I was getting married my OM told us to get the hell out of
Mass, it was out of control spending wise. He was right.....

73 Zeno
Audiokarma