Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM
John Q

1950 rca

Took a look at this set today. Once again the photos on CL didn't do it justice. The cabinet was delaimnating all around the top, beyond restoration. The CRT is a 16GP4B and it is dead. It's a glass metal tube probably leaked.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/2329663677.html
Old 04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is a really nice one about 40 miles from here for $24.95. Same set. I have too many consoles or else I would have it.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Get the one for $24.95 , take out the chassis and crt and scrap the cabinet ?

mike
Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

There seem to be a lot of similar RCAs in your area. This cabinet is styled exactly like my 1951 RCA(even the same knobs on the doors) but I would say a different chassis configuration since it uses a round crt rather than a rectangular. The last table model you found had the exact same chassis as mine.If I was in your area and could have got it cheap enough it would have been good for a spare chassis. But he wanted too much for it and shipping would have cost even more(a lot more) to ship that chassis all the way from California to Maryland. Too bad the ones you are finding are so beat up and with bad crts.

I think the tubes these particular RCAs used must have been especially leak prone kinda like the 15GP22 in the color sets since that one is dead and the other one you found and mine have been replaced with glass tubes long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charokeeroad View Post
Took a look at this set today. Once again the photos on CL didn't do it justice. The cabinet was delaimnating all around the top, beyond restoration. The CRT is a 16GP4B and it is dead. It's a glass metal tube probably leaked.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/atq/2329663677.html
Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
John Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCFitz View Post
There seem to be a lot of similar RCAs in your area. This cabinet is styled exactly like my 1951 RCA(even the same knobs on the doors) but I would say a different chassis configuration since it uses a round crt rather than a rectangular. The last table model you found had the exact same chassis as mine.If I was in your area and could have got it cheap enough it would have been good for a spare chassis. But he wanted too much for it and shipping would have cost even more(a lot more) to ship that chassis all the way from California to Maryland. Too bad the ones you are finding are so beat up and with bad crts.

I think the tubes these particular RCAs used must have been especially leak prone kinda like the 15GP22 in the color sets since that one is dead and the other one you found and mine have been replaced with glass tubes long ago.

I'm amazed every week to see how many vintage sets show up on CL within my driving area. I think it makes me slow to react on any one set especially when it's a fairly common one. Yesterdays set was probably not restorable in my opinion. I read a thread on Antique Radio Forum where Bill Cahill restored the same set and described it as likely to have a bad flyback and HV coil. So with the cabinet bad and the CRT bad and likelyhood of the flyback and HV coil bad I decided to pass on it even as a backup. The seller asked me if I would take it for 10 bucks. I said no..
Audiokarma