Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Engineer View Post
...It is the same equipment that I read of folks working on now. However, it is rarer and not so easily repaired or replaced if inexperienced, untrained hands begin chopping away at it. And every time a set ends up on the unrepairable pile because someone that didn't really know what they were doing got to it, to me, is very sad. It's also a part of history that doesn't exist any more...
My counter-argument would be this: How many people attending tech school today understand or are even aware of older technology? Life before the IC and even the transistor? I'd say very few. In fact, the few times I've bothered to stop at a TV shop and seek a part or schematic from a professional technician - well, I've generally been chided and sneered at for attempting something ridiculous like trying to repair a worthless p.o.s. fifty-year-old color TV.

My point being that if non-professional people who have an interest in this old junk and the capacity to learn aren't helped and encouraged, it'll all be lost history in thirty years because no-one will know what to do with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
...Be ready to swap the ends of its primary if the video looks low passed.
You might want to parenthetically say "if the video looks smeared" for the benefit of the more noobie-esque.
oc
Old 04-13-2011, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
You might want to parenthetically say "if the video looks smeared"
Duh! You're right, I should have said "smeared" as "low passed" is not that clear to non engineers. Good point.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, i thought this thread was supposed to be about a filament transformer, and not a pissing match between the technically-challenged and experts?

My 2 cents:

As far as "unrepairable", Take a TV thats a throw-away, say a cheapo LCD TV. Lets say the panel is bad, and the TV is not under warranty. Lets say the TV is a 32" the panel costs say, $700 bucks shipped from china.

Is the TV worth it? nope, so technically its "unrepairable"

Thats just one scenario, there are many others.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
Wow, i thought this thread was supposed to be about a filament transformer, and not a pissing match between the technically-challenged and experts?
Eh, don't sweat it. Since I belong to the "technically challenged yet perfectly willing to take a 50/50 shot of blowing it up" crowd, I don't think that anyone's going to bash anyone too hard. I think that those in my club have made a valid enough point in this thread....
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

hehe. I am in the same crowd too. Ive blown enough stuff up and learned from my mistakes. i keep making them sometimes too, but at the same time, in most cases i know what im doing as well, and still make mistakes and blow shit up.

Eh, gotta love it.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
John Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
If you want free or cheap old TVs, come up here to the Pacific Northwest. Most common are the nondescript 21" B/W consoles. Combos might as well be listed in the Free category under firewood. I suspect that most of these TVs do not get sold, even to fishtankers. The unanswered craigslist ad is their last stop on the way to the landfill.

I'm as eager as anyone else to preserve rare and unusual things, and to treat them carefully. Not everything fits in that category. I suppose the common, boring sets are part of our history, but I don't have an empty gymnasium to warehouse 5,000 unwanted TVs until some distant era when they might become interesting to somebody.

So, yeah, it depends on the set in front of you. If someone burns up a scarce or historically significant TV, that's bad. If they burn up a craigslist reject that they rescued from the curb . . . not so much.

The risk of inexperienced hobbyists wrecking significant TVs seems pretty remote. If you watch these forums, every now and then some Joe Schmoe will pipe up saying, "I found Granny's TV in the basement and it makes a white line. What now?" The first thing you'll see is a chorus of people waving their hands, telling Joe not to turn it on anymore, and to find someone experienced to help. And that advice is given even when the TV in question is a common, boring set that wouldn't fetch $25 on craigslist.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson

Phil, It's hard to agrue with anything you've said and to a degree I know your right. I also know your saying them tongue in cheek. The thing that make this hobby what it is is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I know I have some sets that wouldn't amount to much with a serious collector but the fact that I like them is enough for me. If I was only interested in the rareness or monitary value of an item I wouldn't be collecting old TVs.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUdubon5425 View Post
My counter-argument would be this: How many people attending tech school today understand or are even aware of older technology? Life before the IC and even the transistor? I'd say very few. In fact, the few times I've bothered to stop at a TV shop and seek a part or schematic from a professional technician - well, I've generally been chided and sneered at for attempting something ridiculous like trying to repair a worthless p.o.s. fifty-year-old color TV.

My point being that if non-professional people who have an interest in this old junk and the capacity to learn aren't helped and encouraged, it'll all be lost history in thirty years because no-one will know what to do with it.
When I took electronics at the local community college from '99-'01, we probably spent a total of 10 minutes on tubes. The first 5 minutes were discussed in solid state devices & circuits class and the discussion pretty much went like, "This is a tube, this is what was used before transistors, nobody but Bryan messes with them anymore, and they are obsolete technology that you don't need to be concerned with". The other 5 minutes was by another instructor in Electronic Communications class. He did talk briefly about how a tube operated; but, not much time was spent on the subject. Contrast that to the early '70's, when a friend went through the program with one of the same instructors. Back then, he said that tubes were the main topic of conversation and that little time was spent on solid state devices.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thats pretty much the way it was when I was in collage as well. from 04 to 06. But on the flip-side, there was a team trying to restore a hallocrafters electrostatic set, and a philco 39-140 radio as a capstone project.