Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

'65 Sylvania roundie steel cabinet color TV

Here's the '65 Sylvania roundie that I brought back from SC. This set uses the D01 chassis and appears to have the original CRT. All I've done, so far, is plug it in and it does work. But, it's going to need some restoration work to bring it back to 100%. The CRT test very strong and it uses the orange flyback, which looks decent. This set also has provisions for screw on legs in order to make it a console TV. Anyone remember these?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow! Can I have it?

Sylvania sets usually had some nice wood cabnets so that metal one is kinda unique...nice shape too.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Mark

That's a kick ass set Bryan! I really like the metal cabinet roundies and that one is in great shape. Are there some knobs missing down at the bottom or do you have them off? Regardless, great save! I think that trip was worth it for the two roundies 'ya got.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Me Likey ! Me likey Very Muchly !!!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

That was a neat set. I took one of the other Philcos and a bunch of round crts. The Philco needs to only need a focus diode.
Audiokarma
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually, those knobs are there. They just look like holes where knobs should be.

I do need to fix the bottom control door, as the hinge pin is broken off.

I watched it a little more and it looks like the two biggest problems I need to correct are poor focus and a general convergence, purity, and grayscale setup.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, and did I mention that set is HEAVY? I need to stick that picture of me and Ryan carrying that set so I can prove that I exert manual labor at least once a year, LOL!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Convergence freak!

Beautiful set! Makes me miss my metal Cabinet CTC-12 I sold Jpdylon a couple of years back..
Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

that is a great looking set. I always enjoy seeing the other brands of sets other than zenith and RCA. If I could have one TV collection of one kind of set - it would be metal tabletop color sets.

Don't worry Shawn, that set will always have a good home here. You're welcome to see it whenever you like when you're in the neighborhood.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 AM
Convergence freak!

Oh I know it's safe and sound. No worries, If im down that way, sure thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdylon View Post
that is a great looking set. I always enjoy seeing the other brands of sets other than zenith and RCA. If I could have one TV collection of one kind of set - it would be metal tabletop color sets.

Don't worry Shawn, that set will always have a good home here. You're welcome to see it whenever you like when you're in the neighborhood.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Oh, and did I mention that set is HEAVY? I need to stick that picture of me and Ryan carrying that set so I can prove that I exert manual labor at least once a year, LOL!
Yeah, I really didn't want to pause for that picture at the time - heavy is right!
Old 05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Metal cabinet set

our first family color set was a WARDS Airline set in 1964, a CTC-15 chassis; this one was a metal cabinet ; your photo brings back memories. It had 4 spindley legs. I put a new CRT in it but acquired a CTC-11 set in the early 1980's that needed a new tube and since it was a real nice RCA wooden cabinet I put the CRT in that set where it remains to this day. I put the old metal cabinet in a storage shed along with its chassis and junked it 6 years ago when we moved--kinda sorry I did but when you're moving things tend to happen.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yea, I know that moving thing too..That's how I parted with my black metal cabinet CTC-12..
Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM
<----Zenith C845

I had a 1964 Sears Silvertone 21" roundie color set in a metal cabinet, with provisions for screw-in legs, in the early '70s, a trash find in my old neighborhood around 1970. It didn't work really well (convergence was off and I didn't have a generator to reset it, the picture developed hum bars, the color sync went haywire, etc.), but I used it for three years until a circuit board cracked. I missed it for quite a while after that (was watching b&w TVs, of various makes except Magnavox, until I found my next Sears color set in the trash in the mid-'70s) but when I bought my first new color set in 1979 I realized how much of a difference a modern set can make. The picture on my 1979 Zenith color portable (on the attic antenna in my home at the time) was much, much better than either of the two second-hand sets I'd had previously. I bought a Zenith 13-inch portable with one-knob varactor tuning some four years later; the picture was as good on that set as it had been on the '79 portable. I had these sets for close to 20 years, then I moved and bought a new (at the time, late 1999) RCA CTC-185 XL100 19" table model, the TV I have now as a daily watcher. The picture on this set is excellent! I have Time Warner basic cable (broadcast channels only), and I swear the picture on my now decade-old RCA (and a 14-year-old Zenith Sentry 2 in my bedroom) are better than any of the color sets I had owned previously.

I was thinking tonight as I watched the evening news how much TV has changed since I got that 21" Silvertone roundie in 1970, and am glad I don't have that set anymore. Not that I don't like vintage TVs -- my basement was full of old trash-picked sets 40 years ago, and goodness knows I enjoyed working on them and actually getting a few of them to operate well -- but since I now live in a small apartment, I no longer have the room for such things. Anyway, I got to thinking how much more stable color TV signals are today, how much more reliable the sets are since they are (and have been since RCA's first XL100s) solid-state, and again, I found myself actually happy that the old days of tube TVs and analog signals are behind us. Digital TV had problems during the transition (and still does in some areas), but I think it is actually better now than it was when all television was analog. Remember when UHF first appeared in the US, and all the reception problems some areas had, even areas in supposedly prime-signal locations for VHF? And who can forget the problems a lot of viewers encountered with weak signals, etc. when color arrived?

One of the best things to happen to TV, IMHO, was the arrival in the '70s and '80s of cable in cities and their suburbs. With today's DTV standard, many viewers have such problems getting decent reception using a converter box and an antenna that they have given up on outdoor or rabbit-ear antennas altogether, turning instead to the cable with its rock-solid, stable signals. Even if a viewer cannot afford the high rates most cable companies charge for digital or expanded basic cable, basic (what I call "bare-bones" basic) cable service, at least in my area, costs under $20 after the initial installation, and with all digital broadcast signals converted to NTSC for viewers with older analog sets, there is no need for the viewer to rent a digital converter box unless he or she actually wants the extra channels -- and most of the programming shown on cable movie channels, to say nothing of older TV series from the '90s back to the '50s, is now available on DVD. I'm saving a lot by having gone that route (downgrading to basic cable and watching older shows on DVD and/or VHS), which is important to me since I live on a fixed income, and simply did not want to pay through the nose for expanded basic any longer when it exceeded $50 per month.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cable is not the blessing it seems. You are at the mercy of a monopolistic company that will do whatever they can to drain your wallet. I have had three analog channels stolen from my analog cable package and moved to an area where I would need to pay more to see them again. Did they discount my bill? Of course not!. This is theft, the same as if Ford came and took back one of the wheels on my truck and did not pay me for it.

Another issue is how cable treats the local broadcast channels. My over-the-air reception of these with DTV(when the weather is ok-most of the time) is far better than my cable signals for these.

Now, the phone companies(and I am sure cable also) are trying to kill broadcast TV. I am completely against this!!. In fact, I would like to see broadcast TV send some of the channels now seen only on cable/satellite over the air via the DTV sub-channels, reducing the cable/satellite monopoly.
Audiokarma