Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also serviced Magnavox.

YES, they were hard to get manuals from.

As soon as it was all official, I started getting packages of Maggie literature, advertising stuff, offers for inexpensive things to hang in the shop. I didn't hang it all. I've still got a couple of my little electric signs...

Parts were easy AFTER I joined the company. I believe I too got about a 20% discount on parts... Certain parts, like deflection tubes, could be bought at some nice prices about twice a year.

When looking for flybacks for older tube color chassis, they would often be out of stock for months until they got enough orders to have some made. They didn't last any longer than the OEM's did.

My favorite thing about working with them was going to the Training Center outside Knoxville, TN right after it opened. Learned lots of tricks, and several times, brought home a pick-up load of tubes that had been discovered in a crate... (They were building the SS chassis by this time.) When Philips took over, I started pulling away.

Lots of people that I had worked with there for years were suddenly gone. No real warning, either.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Motorola Minion

I worked for one then another Magnavox dealer (1980-82, 84-86) right when the modular sets - T809 chassis 19" sets, most of which had knob tuners - and T815 consoles most with touch-tune keyboard tuners remotes were coming in for their first repairs. Lots of cold module pin solder joints on the main board, lots of failed PS switching modules p/n 703744-1,2...... ad infinitum, the critical safety caps p/n 250663-x. These knob tuners were still a PITA after the tube sets of the 60s, had to put the wiping pads on the shield to wipe the turrets w/tuner lube or it's snow-city a month later, even on cable - just cant forget this as I did sooo many.

These made Mag's earlier "vertical chassis" modular T995 look better in comparison and I had a touch-tune version as my main set for 18 years after replacing the 25VCZP22, with a "magnachrome rebuilt". By 1984, Mag had taken a "NAP" pun intended, and we stopped selling them after support got poor with sound problems in sets that had MTS. Could have been sensitive to the local cable system's channel conversion of MTS signals too but the RCA's and GE's were not behaving that way.

I ended up with the guts and CRTs to many of the 1966-68 color combo sets because there was an old fella (non-tech) in our shop that could install an RCA Colortrak 2000 monitor and it looked like it was made for it. The customer retained their beloved Astrosonic console HiFi and got a decent cable-ready remote TV.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:56 PM
I love old stuff

Wait a minute, he took and old tv set, put it into a new case and then put in the old case a new tv?