Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

crt rejuvenator tester

im hopeing to aquire 2 crt testers but im not sure which one would be better suited for 1960s round crts one is b+k precision model 466 and the other is b+k model 440 does anyone have an idea which is best. there is another that is b+k 400 that i was not looking at.the 440 seems to have a heater adj but the 400 i dont see that adj on it. thanks all.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 PM
RCA 741PCS

I'd definitely go for the 466. It's newer and more advanced than the 440 or 400.

Here's my 440. I only use it for checking if a CRT has any life left.

Here's a 466 for comparisons sake.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

oh yes those are the same as what im looking at now maybe ill pick up both, thanks tim
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

I use a 466 for complex testing (gas, H-K leakage, etc) and like it alot. I used to have a 440 that was great as a simple emissions tester.

Might not hurt to get both.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

yes im going to try and get them both although im not 100% sure how to use them but the books are with them and i learn quick. im more familiar with the newer sets but have some knowledge of the old ones. besides i wouldnt risk a crt thats possibly good by me trying to test it and over doing the heater voltage or blasting shorts that may not be there,lol...
Audiokarma
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up an old Jackson CRT checker. I looked at the setup chart and made sure that it checked a 7JP4. There's a lot of settings on it, as it checks every element on an e'stat. tube. NO rejuvinate function.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

woulnt it be better to have the rejuv feature?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you plan to rejuvenate tubes, go for a B&K 467 (or higher) model number. The models before the 467 were rather crude when it comes to rejuvenation and they will often do more harm than good. The newer models have a better controlled rejuvenate function that will be less likely to ruin the CRT.

Those models in the 44x series are from the '50's and early '60's. The 465 came out in the mid '60's and was around until the early '70's. The 466 was made during the early-to-mid '70's period. The 467 and 470 came out in the late '70's and were made until the early '90's. The 480 and 490 models came out in the early '90's and may still be in production. The 470 and 480 have a single meter and are basically identical except for some cosmetic differences. The 467 and 490 models have 3 meters, one for each gun, and will check the focus electrode. Again, these two models are basically identical except for cosmetics.

I see many B&K testers in the 400-466 model series; but, many of their owners have "pie in the sky" ideas as to what they are worth. The fact is that these testers are obsolete and would not be considered for use by anyone who services modern equipment. And, since TV collecting is still a small hobby in comparison to other hobbies, the demand for these older testers is small. I probably wouldn't pay over $25 for any of these older testers and the $25 figure would be for something like the 466, not the 440. I got my first CRT tester, a 465, back in the early '90's for free from a TV shop who was all too happy to get it out of his way. The 467 and newer models ended up costing many hundreds, if not over a grand, when new. However, you should still be able to pick up one of these for under $100, if you look. Since CRT TV repair is going bye-bye and since most remaining shops already have test equipment, the demand for even these later CRT testers is going down.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
woulnt it be better to have the rejuv feature?
That unit was built long before the B&K and others came out.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

well im searching for this particular sears set and hope to find it and this is why i am getting these crt testers because i hope that one of these units will be able to check safely the crt if and when i find the set which i think it may have been from 66-67, if they are not compatible well then i guess ill put them on ebay,lol then hope for the best as far as the crt because this set was well known for crt problems and im sure many others of that time.
Audiokarma