Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
WTWW is on 5.085 mHz, but from the west coast, IIRC I heard the program better most evenings on WBCQ 7.490 and/or 9.330 mHz. After the shooting drama in December and his recent illness, I doubt that Art will ever return to the air.

jr
Are you guys talking about AM radio frequencies?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Are you guys talking about AM radio frequencies?
No, the two that I listed are shortwave stations... they *are* amplitude modulated but are transmitted in the shortwave broadcast bands. The frequencies are indeed, in the mHz range as I listed. In recent years SW broadcasting has seriously declined, but it is still in use.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave_bands
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 07-11-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add link to sw broadcast band allocations
Old 07-11-2016, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

ahh that makes sense. I haven't checked out shortwave in years, should give it a try
Old 07-13-2016, 05:06 PM
David Thomas

6 meters was open yesterday, with plenty of sporadic-E east of the Mississippi. I worked a dozen stations on sideband (using a wire antenna), and on FM I worked stations in Canada, Florida, and Maine from here in East TN.

When the sporadic-E season is in gear, it's amazing what you can pick up.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 PM
electronics packrat

I've picked up a station in Window Rock, AZ a few times from here in N.E. Arkansas. I also pick up the Chicago and Dallas stations fairly regularly using only the receiver in a cheap Juliette all in one in my workroom.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 AM
M is for Memory

Today may be a VERY good day to DX FM in the midwest. I just got to work in Menomenee Falls Wi from Pewaukee Wi, and the whole commute with occasional static drop outs I was getting 87.7 METV FM (LP analog TV Ch.6) coming in clear out of Chicago!

I wish I had a small TV with me...I really want to see if the video carrier is making it here! When I get home if the band is still open I'm going to scour the TV, FM and SW bands.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-29-2016, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Indeed! it looks like there is a bit of moderate tropo enhancement in the great lakes region today... good catch!

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

jr
Old 08-29-2016, 05:52 PM
TV DXer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
Just the other day I picked up WNMU 90.1 FM from Marquette, Michigan, in the Detroit area for a solid five or six minutes before it faded away. It was surprisingly clear; there must have been some crazy tropo-ducting...
Well, if you want to try it again 5 years later check this web-page for when conditions are good...

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nat.html
Old 08-29-2016, 07:09 PM
M is for Memory

I was still getting it about an hour ago with diminished strength....Seems the visual carrier ain't making it. Quite a bit on FM presently. I got 2 new DTV carriers too. Next on the scan list is SW and AM.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-30-2016, 12:05 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I bet the DTV carriers didnt ever come in strong enough to properly see them do they?
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

A few years back I picked up WOAI 1200 (clear channel frequency) in San Antonio, up here in Calgary, listened to probably close to a quarter of a Spurs game in and out, 1700 miles away.

Myself picking it up in Calgary, pales in comparison to this person and him receiving it:

http://capedx.blogspot.ca/2010/07/wo...0-khz-qsl.html

Last edited by baursam; 08-30-2016 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
I was fortunate to receive the above QSL card in response to my reception report.
He is lucky he got a response!!

Today ppl dont give a damn where you are when you hear them.... I have tried to email a station on FM I got on a band opening last year..... NO RESPONSE TO MY EMAIL!!

People today suck..........
Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I bet the DTV carriers didnt ever come in strong enough to properly see them do they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sometimes yes, but not like the old days. Several times a year, I get solid lock on WMBC DT-18 in Montclair, NJ. that's 140 miles away but its also 1000 kW ERP.

My CM DT7000 set top box has scanned in two VHF channel 7's just weak enough they don't lock in. WBNG in Binghamton and WJLA in Washington DC.

The wackiest reception I recall on TV was in the mid 1970s, late summer - like now. I was fooling around in the yard with a smaller VHF log-periodic JFD LPV-6 and a 1963 GE 19" BW in the yard one day, I got channel 2 which I thought nothing of since we were 75 miles from WMAR in Baltimore. Then I noticed it was PBS, WPBT from Miami!

Sometimes channel 3, (now WFSB) in Hartford Connecticut would stomp out KYW - a solid local from Philadelphia, no small feat! The antenna was aimed 60 degrees AWAY from it.

Once, I saw WGAL 8 Lancaster, via cable about 60 miles upstate, one of the few "local" channels in that area, then WTNH-8 from New Haven Connecticut cut in with the familiar white lines and co-channel beat screeching in the sound.

I miss watching our 1971 Zenith console those summer mornings and evenings after a storm rolled through when you could get ALL the NYC channels 2-4-5-7-9-11-13, rotate the mid-sized JFD LPV about 180 - degrees and get 4-5-7-9 from DC along with the usual channels from Philly, Baltimore and Lancaster. After that, having cable when I moved away did not seem very epic.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:04 PM
Still Y2K Compliant!

Many years ago, perhaps 25 or so, late one winter night, I picked up station XEW from Mexico City on a Philco model 90 Cathedral radio! I was at my house in San Diego. The antenna was simply a piece of wire connected to an aluminum window frame. Even more amazing was that we have a local station at 910, and XEW is located at 900. The fact they are a 250,000 watt station probably helped too.

www.galaxymoonbeamnightsite.com
Old 10-20-2016, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good deal!