Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

The amp I used literally says on it that it's for digital TV, which is why I was told it would work. I just wasn't aware it was digital CABLE TV.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did some research, and it seems that cable distribution amplifiers and antenna distribution amplifiers, aren't all that different. Even the channel master antenna distribution amp has a return path for cable services.. Same frequency range as the CommScope I'm using.

I was wrong though about the dB rating, my amp is 7.5, not 10. 10 was the other amp I had, but it was a cheap RCA brand and I opted not to use it, not with that thin power cable in the hot florida attic.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

7.5 dB gain is less likely to result in overload than 10 dB. In cable applications, you expect the input to be above the noise floor and the channels to all have similar power, so the desired operating condition is the maximum output without cross-mod / intermod among the large number of channels.

For an antenna amp, you really want only enough gain to get the weakest signal above the tuner noise, so you have lots of head room for wildly unbalanced high levels that may be present on the stronger stations. That's why the alarm about whether your amp was designated as an antenna amp.