Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:48 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Just a thought. Is there anything like Freesat or Free-cable in USA? Or do you always have to pay a subscription? When I was in USA (Miami) 20'odd years ago I had a rabbit ears antenna on top of the TV, almost perfect pictures (apart from a bit of ghosting) on the VHF channels, all UHF ones were fuzzy..
IIRC there is free to air satellite in north America, but the programming is mostly garbage that is below OTA programming quality (IIRC it's used mostly for remote broadcast links between stations and remote program trucks/facilities)....Almost no one knows it exists and even fewer actually watch it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Yes, I agree. That is why terrestrial broadcast is still successful in Europe and Asia and is such a mess in the US and Canada. The North American governments should listen more to the public interests rather than selected business groups.
I agree 100 percent.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I probably mentioned before.Don't forget the $5 dollar broadcast TV fees the cable company tacks on our monthly bills.

Maybe the broadcasters can soak their advert clients for more cash instead of its viewers.I agree with Penthode on adverts .We get soaked with the 5 minute adverts in the programs every 8 minutes.The programs are getting shorter with more ads inserted in them.The killer is that we get stuck paying them $5 bucks a month on top of it.

Back to the original topic of producers.

With the crap that airs today here.There is not much producing going on with these reality shows.Just set up the cameras and let them roll.Cheaply made productions with some those shows will make the local access cable channel productions look like top pro productions.

Better off to watch amateurs on Youtube then what is produced on the networks.The sitcoms suck and not funny.The classic game shows like Jeopardy,the Wheel and The Price is Right are still good to watch.Drama shows like the CSI collection and other cop type drama shows are good but getting cropped for more ads..
Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Without addressing subjective quality issues, the average reality TV show is a bear to produce. Instead of having a written, presumably efficient plan that cast and crew follows, reality TV relies on multi-camera coverage to the extreme. This over-shooting results in tons of footage that has to be screened and logged (by producers -- the non-financial, non-decisionmaking kind ) in order to be edited together to produce the desired story line. (The story line is not left to chance as much as would be expected.) Reality show low-level producers are subject to extremely long hours with very low average pay, as there is always someone standing by in the wings to take their place as a "producer on a national network TV show". I would guess that reality shows shoot and log at least four times as much footage as a scripted multi-camera show does.

Chip
Old 03-05-2016, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Without addressing subjective quality issues, the average reality TV show is a bear to produce. Instead of having a written, presumably efficient plan that cast and crew follows, reality TV relies on multi-camera coverage to the extreme. This over-shooting results in tons of footage that has to be screened and logged (by producers -- the non-financial, non-decisionmaking kind ) in order to be edited together to produce the desired story line. (The story line is not left to chance as much as would be expected.) Reality show low-level producers are subject to extremely long hours with very low average pay, as there is always someone standing by in the wings to take their place as a "producer on a national network TV show". I would guess that reality shows shoot and log at least four times as much footage as a scripted multi-camera show does.

Chip
Thanks Chip for the info and explaining it .Yes .OK Low paid producers.I'm surprise with the unions they can get away with it. I figure they had to sort of hours of video in order to edit the show together.Theres room for error for wrong scene call ups.I wonder how many hours of the Kardashian's over shoots on the cutting room floor.

Yes with script shows.Everything is organized with the script and the storyboard.The cast should cruise through it with a couple of takes.
Audiokarma
Old 03-05-2016, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Speaking of UK TV shows.I enjoy these shows.Post other when I think of them.

Keeping Up Appearances (S15 E5)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFBuA4aCibU

As Time Goes By Season 7 E03 The New Neighbors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0zrEbYDzw

These are will produced shows and very funny.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

BBC Licence used to be 10/- ($1) a year!
CPB (usa) gets 100X the Fed money it got in the late-60s!
Why are Bankrupt countries throwing money at Broadcasting?
(Bankrupt: borrowing just to pay the interest on Debt)
(which both countries are doing)
Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

CPB more likely is getting less Fed dollars today then years ago.I have notice PBS is having more pledge drives in the resent years.

Running programs on TV is not cheap after everybody gets their cut with the royalties it makes.I have no idea how much does PBS have to pay for a classic movie or series like Sesame Street ,Nova and other popular shows.The inside shows are probably cheaper but the outside shows are more likely expensive.

Maybe somebody here in the biz can shed some light on it.Thanks.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

We need to put a Scotsman in charge - But not John Reith!
Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

10/- was $2 in 1925. For many years it was $4 to the pound.

This website is invaluable for working with historic amounts of money in both the US and the UK. Their methods are well researched and use the best available data sets. Some comparisons are available back to the 13th century!
https://www.measuringworth.com

Putting in 10/- (ten shillings = 50 pence in current usage) and getting today's value gives a set of numbers from £25 to over £200 depending on which comparison method you use. If you look at the income comparison, a good measure of affordability, it's £143, close to the present day licence fee. You get rather more for your money from the BBC now than then.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Pound was way more 'Sound' than I thought;
4:1 would have given England very strong purchasing power for imports.
Shows you how decimated the US Dollar has been by a century of [Gov-engineered] inflation!
The worst is yet to come after they discover their latest desperate maneuver -
- GDP-expansion-by-immigration - fails to deliver growth & deceive creditors.