Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Why your next TV must be a 4K

You need a 4k display to properly render the payload of a 1080x1920 source!
Just like they need an 8k camera to properly capture 4k cinema
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-F65RSPAC1/
Old 04-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator

It will no doubt look incredible, true film quality in your own living room!
I doubt there will be many sources though, the bandwidth required would break the internet, Netflix struggles as it is to deliver 1080p, but there's always Disc or Flash Drive for content.

I would like to see a resurgence of physical media, at least you actually own and control that compared to streaming.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:39 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
It will no doubt look incredible, true film quality in your own living room!
I doubt there will be many sources though, the bandwidth required would break the internet, Netflix struggles as it is to deliver 1080p, but there's always Disc or Flash Drive for content.

I would like to see a resurgence of physical media, at least you actually own and control that compared to streaming.

Physical media hasn't disappeared yet. It is still possible to get DVDs and CDs; Netflix still ships physical DVDs in addition to its streaming video service (not to mention DVDs of older shows and past seasons of shows still running on the networks still selling well), and audio CDs are still available in stores.

As to "true film quality in your own living room", who needs it? This is just another attempt to reinvent television yet again (!), and eventually put movie theaters out of business. It is bad enough the FCC forced people to throw out their old TVs and replace them with flat screens; who can ever forget the pitch that was made here in northern Ohio (and likely elsewhere as well) for "The Big Switch" from analog to digital TV in 2009? There was one TV station in Cleveland which pitched that technology switch every chance it got--during commercial breaks, station breaks, during the evening news . . . as if anyone watching really cared. As has been mentioned by others, much of today's TV programming was garbage in 4:3 standard definition; it is still garbage and worse in 16:9 HD. That won't change if and when 4K becomes the standard for video transmission; the technology may change, but until the TV studios in Hollywood start making better programming, television will still be as bad as it has always been if it doesn't get worse, as it will.

Hollywood is running out of ideas for TV shows anyway; most programming today is, at best, 1950s-'60s programming warmed over or made over with the addition of violence and indecent language (think remakes of classic TV series such as "Ironside" which lasted only one or, at best, two seasons). The sometimes extreme violence on today's TV shows has caused the television industry to require content ratings on all shows except news and sports, in an effort to shield children from sex and violence, which is also why the FCC forced TV manufacturers to incorporate the so-called "V-chip" in all televisions made after 1993.

These efforts are not doing the job. Children are exposed to off-color language and violence every day of their lives on the streets, in public places, and so on; eliminating or curbing so-called "blue" language and violence on television is not going to "shield" children from what goes on in the real world. The V-chip is not working out because most people don't know how to use it, or even that it is present in their TVs; most people just take the set out of the box, connect it to a signal source, plug it into the wall, and enjoy (?) the garbage that passes for most 21st-century TV programming. There are a few good shows, many of them on ABC, but the other two major networks, NBC in particular, still program largely garbage, which is one of several reasons why NBC is still in last place in the ratings--good grief, I can remember when NBC was the top-rated network in America, but that was before VHS, DVD, streaming video . . . I see NBC going out of business before long if this trend continues any length of time. They are going down the tubes as it is since Microsoft got into the act.

Please don't get me started on the problems the upstart video service Aereo is having as of late. I recently read online, in a TV-industry newsletter I get in my email daily, that the very future of the CBS television network may depend on the success or failure of Aereo as a TV program source. Indeed, the other networks could be forced into oblivion as well if Aereo wins its court battles and CBS disappears.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh! What a mess.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-24-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:

As to "true film quality in your own living room", who needs it?.......

.........As has been mentioned by others, much of today's TV programming was garbage in 4:3 standard definition; it is still garbage and worse in 16:9 HD. That won't change if and when 4K becomes the standard for video transmission; the technology may change, but until the TV studios in Hollywood start making better programming, television will still be as bad as it has always been if it doesn't get worse, as it will.............

.............Children are exposed to off-color language and violence every day of their lives on the streets, in public places, and so on; eliminating or curbing so-called "blue" language and violence on television is not going to "shield" children from what goes on in the real world.............

..........Please don't get me started on the problems the upstart video service Aereo is having as of late. I recently read online, in a TV-industry newsletter I get in my email daily, that the very future of the CBS television network may depend on the success or failure of Aereo as a TV program source. Indeed, the other networks could be forced into oblivion as well if Aereo wins its court battles and CBS disappears............

I have to say I agree with Jeffhs on this stuff, TV programing sucks. And seeing it in higher definition will just give people other stuff to talk about. As in Did you see that actor's hair replacement..? It's so obvious in 4k ! ! !

I think Airieo Is a scam... I've seen the micro dime sized antennas Funny, how many of us would get good reception with a dime sized antenna even if we lived next to the transmitter...? Wavelength anyone....? I think it's a representation of an antenna for each user, and does not take the signal off each antenna and route it to each individual end user.... I think they are a scam in that respect. They need to pay for the signal like any other mass distribution network that is not OTA from source to single end user.

As for kids, I drove a school bus for 3 years, Elementary and high school... Let me tell you those elementary kids are all X and R rated, and their parents all think they are G-Lite. This country needs to wake up to reality with everything that goes on here.... Very few live in any remote level of reality.....

Now, back to Two and a Half Men......
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Administrator

I'm not going to beat this Horse to death again, watch what you like, or don't.

Personally I'm very happy with HD, probably won't be buying a 4k anytime soon but by the time my current set dies I'm sure it'll probably be the norm so I'll be happy to go with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I'll stay in my own little low-tech world while the rest of it crumbles, thank you very much. The only hi-def capable device I have is my boring digital camera, but I have it set to record in standard def now. Recording in hi-def really sucks up battery power anyway.

BTW, I heard that CDs are losing ground to vinyl now. I guess technology can only go so far... before the truly intelligent people start to hate it anyway.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:39 PM
Administrator

CD's are losing ground to downloads which now account for more than half of music sales.
"Vinyl" is selling better than it has in years but is still only about 3% of sales.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
..seeing it in higher definition will just give people other stuff to talk about. ......

But I'm now thinking better source acquisition and displays will make present 1080 actually look more natural (smoother) as now 1080 can be harsh due to base-level sampling & display pixels (a mistake now being addressed) (I can do my part by buying a big 4k)(after prices moderate)

Last edited by NewVista; 04-25-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I barely watch TV anymore.. it's full of filth and negativity.

BTW, New vinyl is still too expensive to purchase. If it was under $10.00, I can see sales gaining strength !
Old 04-25-2014, 08:00 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

You need it so all your real world DTV will look like a trainwreck. And you can see your Cable and Satellite providers compress the bloody heck out of it and downrez it and guarantee it looks horrible. They can't even give us present HD without ruining that. Work on real world improvements within what we have now.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:56 PM
The lead ear.

I just want 4K to replace my PC monitor.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here's two more reasons:
Good Blu-Ray transfers are mastered at 4k , so a similar overpixelated display would be nicely complementary

And the LG 3D system (the best) needs double the H pixels ( for 1920 R & L) - thus 4K
Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

The big thing that gets missed in most discussions of high-technology displays is this:

MOVIE watching (at home) is one thing;

TELEVISION is another thing entirely. Entirely.

4K displays and other high-performance video equipment are mainly bought (and appreciated) by those who want to come as close as possible to the movie-theater experience, in their homes, within the necessary compromises. In this world, big screens and high detail, plus careful adjustment and attention to room lighting and other factors, make all the difference for a very enjoyable experience. Live sports events on video can be included in this type of system to some degree, as well.

Television, in contrast, is not at all even intended to be used or experienced that way. The one and only purpose of TV is to attract and keep the attention of viewers and to get as many of them to stay and watch the commercials. NO other purpose for the television industry, with rare exceptions (public television and pay-TV channels). In that world, quality (of either program content or the technical presentation itself) is only pursued to the degree that it will get more people to watch the commercials. HDTV, surround sound, stereo sound-none of these technologies have probably done much if anything to help sell soap and pickup trucks. Their only purpose in the television world has been to attract attention ("This is NEW! You should buy it!"... Hmm, just like the "New and Improved" laundry soap in the commercials, right? ) or to get ahead of/keep up with the other broadcasters/channels.

In the home-movie-watching world, though, every improvement has made a big difference in the experience. A good, large 1080 HD display with the Blu-ray version of, say, Casablanca, totally mutilates and crushes the DVD of the same movie. It just puts you there, as if you were sitting next to Humphrey Bogart himself. The best movie theaters in 1942 already did that, too (and have done so ever since); until HD displays and the Blu-ray format existed, nothing at home even came close.

4K displays have the potential to make the home experience even better, but only for those using very large displays (my 1080p screen is 92 inches diagonal) and sitting much closer than most of us are used to doing (I sit eight feet away from that 92-inch screen and would not want to be any further away from it; a 4K display should be much bigger if you sit eight feet away). NO, there is no point to use such equipment to watch a remake of "Green Acres", or "Survivor".

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Old TVs are better!

I've read that a 4K image is actually sharper than what our own eyes can perceive. Who needs it?
Audiokarma