Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I mean for those of us dependent on OTA, how long until I hafta scrapall my converter boxes?
There's been a few messages on some of the channels, that a re-scan has to be performed this coming Monday, Jan. 8th.
I hope that a few of my favorites wont be relocated on VHF, especially the low VHF band. VHF is harder to receive 40 miles or so from the transmission point, even with digital.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

If they scrap OTA TV I'm gonna finally have to pick up hulu..... I think they have 90s sitcoms and anime. I already do netflix, and I can feed that to my old TVs........
Old 01-07-2018, 08:21 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
If they scrap OTA TV I'm gonna finally have to pick up hulu..... I think they have 90s sitcoms and anime. I already do netflix, and I can feed that to my old TVs........
I'm sure OTA TV will be around for quite a while yet. ATSC 3.0 is simply a new technical standard for broadcast TV, as I was informed via a post in this forum from VK member Andy in Texas some time ago. The future of OTA television does not concern me one bit, as I no longer have cable, having switched to Roku streaming video over a year ago. The picture quality from video streams is excellent, rivaling that of OTA TV (due to better resolution), and Roku offers other services besides your area's local channels (if your cable operator offers an app for that purpose; not all do--yet), including Hulu, as you mentioned. I watch Hulu and Netflix myself, and am very pleased with both services; I wouldn't give them up at this time.

I'm glad to hear you can feed Netflix to your old TVs, probably by using a modulator to convert the output to a VHF TV channel, as has been done by other VK members. (I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with Hulu, should you decide to subscribe to that service.) This sounds like a great alternative to OTA TV, unless you want to see your area's local news and the networks' national newscasts, in which case you would still need an antenna; however, if you use a streaming video player such as Roku and your cable company offers the app for local TV, you can use that player and leave OTA behind for good. I did just that over a year ago and did not look back.

Switching to IPTV is, without a doubt in my mind, one of the best things I ever did to improve my television viewing experience; it is the wave of the future of TV. I am enjoying television more now than I ever did at any other time, and I can remember as a kid just having three NTSC channels from Cleveland to watch, in 525-line b&w of course. My 19" HDTV delivers a picture that runs rings around the NTSC CRT TVs I grew up with, but that is to be expected since 16:9 HDTV operates at a much higher resolution (720 or 1080p, to say nothing of 4K which is 2160p, IIRC) than NTSC ever did.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Motorola Minion

Early channel jump here: One of the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton stations WVIA, shut down their RF channel 41, and piggy-backed onto WNEP's channel 50, which already had 3 subs.

The powerful transmitter for WNEP is on 2000-foot Penobscot Mountain along I-81 but still over 80 miles away, yet 41, 45 and 50 are stable using a 4-bay or moderate Yagi on my garage. My Samsung SIRT-451 STB automatically added 16-4,-6,-7 as soon as I punched in "50".

Jeff, Maybe there is hope for WOIO abandoning their troublesome VHF in favor odf one that reaches out better.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 01-12-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Early channel jump here: One of the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton stations WVIA, shut down their RF channel 41, and piggy-backed onto WNEP's channel 50, which already had 3 subs. ...
What is the picture quality like? The concern is that piggyback feeds will not be allocated enough bit rate.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
What is the picture quality like? The concern is that piggyback feeds will not be allocated enough bit rate.
Very good question. I need to see how this played out for WVIA , which alone has 2-3 subs. WGTW in Philadelphia has 8 sub-channels and some are very grainy.

The big-time "network channels" with mostly HD content, such as WGAL locally, still has only one sub.