Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Chad thanks for that info. Looking through old H. Sams catalogs I see some very obscure brands. Catalina was among them.

As much as it hurts to admit, me and my buddies have destroyed many sets which naturally includes imploding the " kine " . Once we did an -85 Sylvania Superset tabletop (n.a.p.) and the front glass literally expelled towards us after throwing a cinderblock through the screen. lucky we were at a small distance with the video cam Would I do it again? nah. that set had a decent pic still. Stupid.

But yeah it takes a considerable striking force to break the screen on a crt.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

From what you describe, that sounds like a WG built set. It should be fully modular; yet, still uses some tubes. That same set was also sold under the Truetone, Bradford, and other house brands.

I think the newest photofact that I've seen on a tube set was from '77 and was on a 12" Sanyo B&W.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
Catalina was a house brand of White Stores which I know had locations in Texas. Here is an ad for the chain with some Catalina products.
I love that ad. Get your color TV, four new tires, and a shotgun too!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Living in Texas, I have an early to mid 1970s Catalina portable color set. This one is solid state and I think made in Japan. Other than a somewhat weak red gun and dirty switch contacts(on the auto color switch), it works ok. I think I also have an earlier 19" tube type black and white set. I have not worked on it yet.