Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

GTV9 Melbourne 1981 Control Room live-to-air tour

Gudday fellow TV broadcast hardware enthusiasts

Just chanced upon this gem on YouBoobed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B82cu0voM8Q

Fascinating memories. I spotted the Fernseh CCU gear, not sure what cameras they were running with them. These CCUs are older than those that go with my KCU-40Bs. However I seem to remember the Don Lane Show used KCUs

Enjoy
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

On the second part, the studio host is sitting on the set with what is probably the strangest Sony I've ever seen.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodronics View Post
~spotted the Fernseh CCU gear, :
GTV Melb/Vic : Fernseh Sophistication.

Unlike 9 affiliates in Convict Colonies of Syd / Bris with Philips crap
Old 07-02-2011, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, thats the GTV9 tour video i uploaded some time ago - GTV9 used KCU-40 cameras over the whole station from the early 70's, including the fernseh flying spot 16mm telecine i had here for a while.

GTV9 has just moved and sadly pretty much the whole place is currently in the process of being demolished despite the history of the place. A large apartment complex is set to be built on the site.

Its unknown what happened to all the old equipment there, many of the KCU-40's were reportedly junked into the skips, (still working cameras) They were in use until at least 1993.

The original PYE cameras were surviving, at least one has gone to a museum, and another two were hanging around GTV9's backlots and OB shed for some years, including an old camera crane. What happened to these are unknown but there were one unconfirmed report of the crane with camera smashed up in the skips prior to the demoliton works starting. Sad as it is it wouldnt surprise me as the network seems keen to eliminate as much of its past as possible in this regard, starting with a new slate at the new premises, which is sad as the network is struggling and its past was its success.