Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gawd. What a shame. And what a way to start a relationship with the new landlord.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
<----Zenith C845

OUCH!!! I'm very sorry to hear of the damage to your CTC11. That set was in a beautiful cabinet (I've seen pictures of RCA's early CTCx color sets, and yes, the cabinets are a sight to behold); now you'll have to rebuild it with new veneer and the whole nine yards. I don't know if the landlady or building owner can or will reimburse you for the damage, but I would ask anyway.

I second Ryan's (AUdubon5425) sentiments that an incident such as this is a bad way to begin a relationship with a new landlord.

Accidents happen, but there was no excuse for what happened to your TV, especially since you told your landlady no less than twice not to touch the set. She meant well, I'm sure, but she should have gotten the message the first time you told her to keep her hands off it.

Good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, Hell....
Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Mark

I was just checking the CRT and of course, that too is original w/ great emissions. The set is low hours for sure. I might be able to glue the side that is cracked, when pushed together, it's barely noticeable. Sure, I'll know it's there but you know how that goes. Luckily the top popped off in one piece, that can be glued down and all is well. The only thing that might be a real PITA is the scratches on the other side. The clear coat is scraped off but the "finish" is still there. Does anyone know what that clear coat is? Lacquer maybe? What can I apply to cover it without reacting with the remaining finish? I might be able to build it up and wet sand it smooth. I'd really, really like to keep this set as original as possible. It is a shame that it was cared for for so many years just to have someone that was told not to mess with it screw it up. I've wanted an 11 for years and well, I had a perfect one for a week.....
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Mark

I popped in a new 1V2 focus rectifier (the old one was original) And have been watching tv on it all night. I've also thought of a plan B if I can't get the photo finish looking good again. Instead of replacing the panels, I can glue them back down and put veneer over them. It should look good as new. I'm bound and determined to get this thing back to how perfect it looked a week ago. Updates to come.....
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 07-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Convergence freak!

Dude! Seriously! Sorry to hear that. I'm glad it physically works ok thou. At least we know cabinet rebuilding.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Mark

I saw it mentioned in the Zenith cabinet restoration thread, someone said toning lacquers are still available? If not, is regular lacquer still available. I'd figure I'd ask here before searching all over. It's been a while since I went shopping for that kind of thing and it seems poly is most common, I don't want to use poly. Nick, if you see this, where did you get your veneer from? I know of a place that sells it but there wasn't a whole lot to choose from. I don't remember seeing it at Menards or Home Depot.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, it's easy to find toning lacquer and clear lacquer. I use Mohawk brand lacquer, available from http://www.tubesandmore.com/ and other suppliers.

I wouldn't worry about the lacquer reacting with the original finish. The photo-finishes used on older (1930s) radio cabinets appear to have been covered with lacquer. I'm not positive what was used for CTC-11-vintage photo-finish, but practically all radio/TV cabinets were done in lacquer because it dries fast. It's also easily reversible (don't like the results, wipe off with lacquer thinner and try again).

You are right to avoid poly. Apart from guaranteeing that you will go straight to Hell along with all the people who destroy furniture for antique malls, it is pretty impossible to remove except with a belt sander. So you had better apply poly perfectly the first time, cuz you'll not get a second chance. Poly also looks wrong. Nothing says "cheap antique mall" better than a thick, slopped-on coat of too-shiny polyurethane.

Whatever you use, I would first clean the entire cabinet using mineral spirits, to remove everyday grime, furniture polish, etc.

I think a satin finish looks best on most old cabinets. If you insist on using gloss for some reason, you can buff it down a little with #0000 steel wool after it cures.

Applying a clear coat over the whole cabinet might improve its appearance a tad. My 1958 Philco Miss America TV has photo finish, and although it's in wonderful condition, it looks "dead" or lacking depth compared to a real wood finish. I have sometimes thought of adding a coat of clear just for the heck of it, but that's far down on my list of priorities.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson

P.S. If you read refinishing forums, you may hear that the formulation of "lacquer" has changed in recent years owing to environmental regulations. Although interesting to purists, that doesn't seem to matter for our purposes.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Mark

Thanks Phil! That stuff isn't very expensive either. I think that is the route I will take. I usually prefer a semi-gloss or satin finish as well but after cleaning this thing with just some dawn dish soap, you can see yourself reflecting off the sides and top, the front which is real wood is also quite shiny. It looks very pretty on this set so maybe gloss is a good choice for this particular set. Like you said, if it turns out too glossy I can always buff it down a bit.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
I popped in a new 1V2 focus rectifier (the old one was original) And have been watching tv on it all night. I've also thought of a plan B if I can't get the photo finish looking good again. Instead of replacing the panels, I can glue them back down and put veneer over them. It should look good as new. I'm bound and determined to get this thing back to how perfect it looked a week ago. Updates to come.....
show some picture's of the panels ,when i was desiding what to put on the zenith i look at lot of different choices ,do you have any restores in your area sometimes they got some high end 4x8 sheets veener panels left over from some job site ,after i started useing what i did thought about looking there if i knew what i know now i would looked there first ,sometimes they have a better sellection lowes/menards/depot all have the same stuff,i used the wood veener because i had sheet one left over from re-doing my bathroom and i didnt know how to stain nothing, i was surprised how easy it was. i still havent got to see your tv the craigslist picture expired.
Audiokarma
Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Mark,

I also didn't see the original Craigslist photo. Would it be possible to post a before & after photo of the set so we can see what you have to deal with?

Thanks,
-Steve D.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Mark

Here are the pictures I saved from the listing. When the set was perfect
She still looks pretty good despite what happened but the left side now has a crack about 7" long and the right side has two really big scrapes from top to bottom I'll take some pictures of it this evening if I get a chance.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mark,

Thanks for posting the photos. Nice set. Thankfully the chassis, pix tube and cabinet front were spared. I think you'll be able to repair the cabinet. Seems to me that you should try & refinish just the scrape if possible and use a wood tint crayon as a scratch filler. Perhaps I'm over simplifying. Hope you're still on speaking terms with your new landlady.

-Steve D.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can't believe people are that insensitive, even though she was "helping". I think the property owner should be liable, and the landlady needs to maintain a civil attitude during your tenancy, in the event she might get called on the carpet. And, it is a truly beautiful piece besides.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Here are the pictures I saved from the listing. When the set was perfect
She still looks pretty good despite what happened but the left side now has a crack about 7" long and the right side has two really big scrapes from top to bottom I'll take some pictures of it this evening if I get a chance.
man it looks like it was a new tv , i know what you mean just because its old it does have to look old and scratched up, it will drive me crazzy to have the insides working like new and outside looks rough.
Audiokarma