Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Mark

Talking Picking up a CTC-11 tomorrow!

The owner just called and the deal is made. Finally, I found a CTC-11 locally and not expensive. The cabinet is photo finish but it is MINT, non-smoker and the labels are all pure white and present. The only thing that worries me is my truck has expired plates because it was broke down for a while, it's fixed but the plates are not. Keep your fingers crossed that I find a vehicle to borrow for a few hours. I'm also getting an apartment to put it in tomorrow too, it looks like things are finally starting to get better for me. On another note, a CTC-24 is being delivered to me tomorrow. My back hurts already but at least I'm smiling
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 06-29-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Hope it ain't a ZILLION effin' degrees where you are to have to hoss them big ol' Roundies around in...103 or 4 here in NE Tin-Uhh-See today..
Old 06-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Mark

Not 100+ but's supposed to be 91, I'm just happy to have finally found a nice 11 to play with. They say it MIGHT rain but the've been saying that, any drier around here and were gonna have fires like the west. EVERYTHING is turning brown and crunchy....
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
The owner just called and the deal is made. Finally, I found a CTC-11 locally and not expensive. The cabinet is photo finish but it is MINT, non-smoker and the labels are all pure white and present. The only thing that worries me is my truck has expired plates because it was broke down for a while, it's fixed but the plates are not. Keep your fingers crossed that I find a vehicle to borrow for a few hours. I'm also getting an apartment to put it in tomorrow too, it looks like things are finally starting to get better for me. On another note, a CTC-24 is being delivered to me tomorrow. My back hurts already but at least I'm smiling
I'm happy for you that you found an apartment and the CTC11/CTC24, but I think you'll probably be plenty busy for weeks, months or even longer (!) just getting settled in your apartment once you get there, with little time to think about TV repairs. I remember when I moved to my small apartment 12 years ago, it took me all of a year to get settled -- mainly because I had brought a huge pile of stuff with me from where I formerly lived; most of that (almost all of which was odds and ends for which I had no room in my then-new apartment) got put out for the trash. (I'm still throwing out junk, mostly outdated paperwork, from years ago to this day.) Thank goodness my new furniture had arrived (I bought all new furniture when I came here) and was in place in my apartment when I finally moved in.

BTW, I hope you get both TVs working when you find the time to get to them. The CTC11 dates to the '60s, IIRC, while the CTC24, again IIRC, is probably from the early '70s, with UHF. Unless your area has one or more LPTV or translator stations on UHF channels, that tuner will be just about useless, of course, with the VHF tuner being set on channel 3 or 4 to receive the output from either a cable box or an ATSC->NTSC OTA converter box.

Good luck.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Mark

Thanks Jeff, I'm very excited things are getting better, I've been kinda depressed lately. Two phone calls in one day sure made me happy. The 11 is a '61 or 2 and the 24 is a '67. The seventies started with CTC 40 I think, somewhere in there anyways.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma
Old 06-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

Congratulations on your new apartment and your new TV sets. When you get the time, we'd like to see photos of the sets
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Convergence freak!

Congrats Mark! That's awesome man. Glad things are looking up for you.
Can't wait to see that CTC-11!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Mark

Well, shit. My paycheck didn't come today and the lady said she'll hold it for me, which is very nice of her. I told her I'll throw in a few more dollars to hold it as well. I don't want her to think I'm blowing her off. I also have to wait a day or so to move into the apartment. Sooo I guess it's a few more days of the crap I've been living in. I've spent all my savings for an apartment on motels waiting for picky bungholes to call me back on apartments and do credit checks which also cost money. Hopefully everything works out by tuesday. It really sucks because I make GOOD money (20+ hr) and I still can't seem to get ahead.....
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Not 100+ but's supposed to be 91, I'm just happy to have finally found a nice 11 to play with. They say it MIGHT rain but the've been saying that, any drier around here and were gonna have fires like the west. EVERYTHING is turning brown and crunchy....
The grass and under brush is like that out in Pewaukee/Delafield as well. Infact some of the trees are starting to turn yellow. It is getting so dry I worry that come Independance Day the state is going to stay lit red after all the other colors go dim.....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
It is getting so dry I worry that come Independance Day the state is going to stay lit red after all the other colors go dim.....
I've been wondering that myself. I am sure the pro's take precautions against fires, but I bet the "billies in the fields" around here won't. They'll be shooting roman candles into the crispy-dried wilderness...
Audiokarma
Old 06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Have you checked into renting a pickup from Lowes or whatever home improvement store you have in your neighborhood? I haven't had to do it myself but they rent by the hour, might be a good option.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

show some pictures of the tv [ in detail ] when you get settled.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Mark,

As I write this, 12:50 pm CDT. The Weather Channel is predicting a huge storm heading for Chicago in the next hour. 100 mph winds, hail and certainly much heavy rain. Be careful if you travel to pickup your CTC-11. Or anything you do outside today.

All the best as things improve for you.
-Steve D.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:37 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

First I heard of it. Apparently it was well south of us, it's been nice all day where me and Mark are at.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Mark

Thumbs up Something finally went right!

I still don't have my check yet, hopefully it comes in the mail tomorrow. But, my mom was nice enough to lend me a few bucks to get a truck and the set. The resale shop in Racine was closed today but she said it would be ok to come get it, I called her and got no answer but already had the truck, I only had her home number. I thought she might be at the store moving things around like she said she might do Sooo we went up there and no one was there. But luck struck big time because we just so happened to get there and be standing in front of the shop when some drunk guy started yelling that the store was closed. I thought oh sh*t what's with this guy. He came over and said he and his sister in law own the store, he asked "are you the guy that wanted the tv" I said YES, and was then thinking "thank God for the drunk guy" (I think his name is Larry) Anyways, he got on the phone and got ahold of his sister in law, then we find out the set is not at the store but at her house in the garage. So, he was then riding in the back of the truck slurring out the directions though a really rough neighborhood, it was pretty funny actually. He had us going in a few circles and we actually passed the house we were supposed to stop at LOL! he then told us "nah this is too far turn around" After an un-scheduled tour of the area, we made it there. It was sitting in the driveway and I thought YAY! this is really gonna work out after all. In the end, I paid for it loaded it, then realized in the haste of all the days activities I forgot to bring a tie-down and blanket. I then rode in the back of the truck with it so it wouldn't move. After all that craziness I wasn't about to have it tip and neck the tube or eff up the cabinet. For now, it is safely sitting in my storage locker. I will take good pictures of it ASAP. I have a few on my phone, if they look ok on the computer I'll post them. About the set, it looks almost new with only a few minor nicks that can easily be fixed, the photo finish is perfect however. All knobs are present, from a non-smoking home. It appears to be quite low hours and probably came from the original home. The cardboard tube cap looks to never have been bumped into anything. It even has the white label on the back of the chassis for the controls that is almost always missing or damaged. All three clips are present as are all the back screws that look to not have been removed more than twice. So, all in all, all the BS was totally worth it. This is the cleanest roundie I've picked up since my Director 21 and Wingate and looks just as new as they do. Thanks all you guys for hoping things get better for me, if my check comes tomorrow I'll also have a permanent address of my OWN! YAY!
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma