Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Mark

A roundie found ME this time.

I got a message here on AK from a member that lives in Kenosha about a Zenith roundie that he wanted to get a new home for. This was Saturday, I didn't get the message until yesterday because I was in Appleton picking up some sets. I was sick Monday so when I finally got the message I thought man, I hope he didn't get rid of it already, I never find roundies so close to home. He didn't, his name is Joe. He is a very nice member of AK, he just doesn't make himself well known. He was also nice enough to let me come over after 9 last night to come get this thing. At first when he told me it was only 20 bucks I didn't know what to expect, but parts are worth more than that so I figured it was worth it sight unseen. My mouth almost hit the floor when I saw this thing. It has some cigarette smoke inside but I'll clean that. It also appeared to have a cataract but it is a 21FBP22, there is just smoke between the safety glass and the CRT, no biggie. It needs a convergence yoke because it is that white plastic one that is broken like those always are. You can also see that the blue lateral magnet is way out of adjustment. The set is dated 2-4-63 on the inside of the cabinet. The model is 5005-2. It uses the 26KC20 chassis. It also appears to have the original CRT that has the code of the ninth week of 1963 and an EIA code 274. The set works with a bright CRT but is in desperate need of recapping. It won't be powered up again until that is done. One of the caps popped when he powered it up the other day. There is now horizontal "snaking" and some "blooming". Joe most definitely found it a good home, I do not plan to ever sell this one. He found it at an estate sale just down the street from his house. Thanks again for such a great set Joe!!!

I move these things by myself by strapping it to the dolly then lowering it to the ground with the dolly resting on the tailgate{very bad for the 'ol spine but good for the tv!}

There always seems to be an unwanted surprise inside these old sets! This time it was gum. LOL!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wow...Somethin' about those "Plain Jane" sets, too that appeals to me over their somewhat "overboard" big brothers... EXCELLENT find...Can't wait to see the Glorious Lollipop Color on it....(grin)
Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

excellent save! Another zenith lives on. I like that model very much. I dont think Ive ever seen a zenith roundie that didnt have a broken convergence clover of that design!
As for the lateral magnet, on these early sets, they are actually supposed to be at about 2 o'clock position like its shown. If you were to move the lateral magnet to the top like most other sets, you would notice that it would move the blue lines vertically as opposed to laterally. you can see the blue pole piece through the neck at the 2 oclock, just center the magnet over it.

The 26KC20 is zenith's 3rd generation TV chassis. Ive actually got one in a metal woodgrain cabinet like yours. I dont think anyone on the forum has or has ever seen a 27KC20, which is the next chassis after the 29JC20.

As for the "cateracts" on the 21FBP22, its very typical. There is a rubber gasket between the CRT and the lens. You will have to pull the CRT out of the set like you would expect and the lens will simply spearate from the CRT once you remove the mounting bezel assembly. The rubber gasket breaks down and will be very oily. You will notice a pool of oil between the glass and the lens at the bottom of the CRT when you pull it apart. There will probably also be some oily residue inside the cabinet beneath the CRT. The cateract appearnce is oil vapor residue. It cleans off really easy. I clean the gasket, which in my experiences have always been very flexible and not dry rotted with alchohol to dry the gasket of the oily fim and remove the residue. soap and water really doesnt do it too well. Good luck with it!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice...I always though the black finish sets looked the best of all, wonder why they seem to be less common?
I have a black enamel finish CTC-10 or 11 and it has that kind of fake speaker type base too but with casters...would be nice if some actual speakers were put in there.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:06 PM
AK Member

Nice set. It has been very well be taken care of.

I hope to see working pics of it soon.
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2008, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

now THAT'S a roundie's roundie. Are those Zenith tubes original? You're a lucky guy to have that in your collection. How much is a NOS cloverleaf worth? Keep us posted, please.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

now THAT'S a roundie's roundie. Are those Zenith tubes original? That damper surely can't be as clean as it is. How much is a NOS cloverleaf worth? You're a lucky guy to have that in your collection. Keep us posted, please.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

I'm jealous. That's a real beauty of a set. I'm glad its in the hands of someone who will restore and enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Gizmo Nut

Great score, and I love those black finished sets.
Dan
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had one close to yours. The only difference was mine had the bass and treble controls for the sound mounted just above the adjustment door and had power tuning. I havent seen that set-up in a black metal cabinet since. I used it for years until the flyback burned up and that was way before forums like this were around to let me know there were parts for these. I cant wait to see pictures of it when you get it playing again Zenithfan! Nice tv !!!
-Tony
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a similiar set with the 25MC30 chassis-the same kind of finish; mine has metal legs. These were a great way for somebody to get into a Zenith color set on a budget back then. Excellent sets.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Mark,

That was twenty bucks well spent. And with the rare optional base to boot. Great local find makes it easy on the gas tank.

-Steve D.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

I agree with the Spiteful Old Cuss; the black metal TV on that pseudo speaker-cabinet makes a very sharp looking set.

Pete
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
excellent save! Another zenith lives on. I like that model very much. I dont think Ive ever seen a zenith roundie that didnt have a broken convergence clover of that design!
As for the lateral magnet, on these early sets, they are actually supposed to be at about 2 o'clock position like its shown. If you were to move the lateral magnet to the top like most other sets, you would notice that it would move the blue lines vertically as opposed to laterally. you can see the blue pole piece through the neck at the 2 oclock, just center the magnet over it.

The 26KC20 is zenith's 3rd generation TV chassis. Ive actually got one in a metal woodgrain cabinet like yours. I dont think anyone on the forum has or has ever seen a 27KC20, which is the next chassis after the 29JC20.

As for the "cateracts" on the 21FBP22, its very typical. There is a rubber gasket between the CRT and the lens. You will have to pull the CRT out of the set like you would expect and the lens will simply spearate from the CRT once you remove the mounting bezel assembly. The rubber gasket breaks down and will be very oily. You will notice a pool of oil between the glass and the lens at the bottom of the CRT when you pull it apart. There will probably also be some oily residue inside the cabinet beneath the CRT. The cateract appearnce is oil vapor residue. It cleans off really easy. I clean the gasket, which in my experiences have always been very flexible and not dry rotted with alchohol to dry the gasket of the oily fim and remove the residue. soap and water really doesnt do it too well. Good luck with it!
Thanks for the tip on the lateral magnet, I'm just used to seeing it at the top. Ditto on the oily residue in the bottom of the cabinet. Hopefully I can get to work on these sets soon, I have 6 roundies to restore now and no time to do it, but a little done at a time is better than nothing. This one shouldn't take too long as it should only need a good cleaning and a recap. I am trying to decide which sets to do first. This one might be done soon, right after my current project which is still that Admiral roundie. That thing is taking forever, the cabinet is still nasty and I will more than likely need a CRT or rebuild the one it has at Hawkeye. That set has about a million hours on it! I am also going to replace most or all the higher voltage resistors in the power supply as well as the rest of the mylar caps and the 'lytics, I've already put about 40 caps in it so far. It's got a lot of bad ones. This set WILL work if it's the last thing I do!! I just recieved the NOS Thordarson FBT the other day. I will be putting that in Friday since we are working half days on Fri. and 9 hour days the rest of the week. The middle of the summer will be nice, we work 4 10 hour days with Fri. off. That is when I will get caught up. It's hard with having all these damn "responsibilities", I give a good 'ol Archie Bunker raspberry to those! Oh and thanks for the compliments guys, they always make my day!
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 06-19-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Mark

I was just reading over what Doug did to his chineese provincial Zenith, the CRT in his was made in '63 with the EIA code 274, mine is the same. Does this mean my "Zenith" CRT was also made by RCA like his? I would assume so but figured I'd ask anyways.
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma