Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Player for VF-50/VFD-50 2" video floppies

I have a binder filled with 2" floppies used for broadcast video still-store duty.
The floppies themselves are typically Canon "Xapshot" VF-50 and Sony "Mavipak" VFD-50 discs.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to dig up any model numbers for equipment that would play these back -- just links to a couple of sites that offer to do transfers.

Does anyone have anything on what models would play back these video floppies?
Old 12-11-2023, 12:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

This?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4G_1uy_7B5w

jr
Old 12-11-2023, 03:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think I have seen a Sony player but the internet seems to have lost it. I remember it being a smallish beige box. Below is what I have to do for my collection.

Here are both versions of the cameras. You need a working set of either to play back...but. Both have a video (480i) output only. No digi output as the only thing digital on these were the image chips. NTSC after that. Think VHS on a 2" floppy. They are the Sony Mavica MVC-C1/MAP-P2 and the Canon RC-250/BA-24P. They both seem to have universal problems among each.

The Mavica camera probably will not take a photo. 30+ leaky caps but if a disc loads, it may play via the adaptor which usually works. I had my camera rebuilt and it does take pics but has a pixel streak. The camera cannot take a pic on the adaptor. Battery only (NiCad) and they are long shot. I am working on a battery rebuild using 1/4AAA batteries (thank you Andy for the design). They fit in the case. This rig is my playback.

The Canon camera seems to be a better image and their batteries (NiCad) are also gone but the camera will take a pic on the AC adaptor but my adaptor is not showing video on the connector. You need the little module on the end of the charger to get the video. This is my camera rig.

If inclined, I shoot on the Canon and play back on the Sony. Now to capture. You need to get NTSC in to your computer. I use an old WinTV7 stick which has a NTSC dongle. It can't make the pic any worse than it already is. There are more modern adaptors on Amazon which can capture on VLC. Good luck and ask away with questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231211_152037b.jpg (89.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
They are the Sony Mavica MVC-C1/MAP-P2 and the Canon RC-250/BA-24P. They both seem to have universal problems among each.

The Mavica camera probably will not take a photo. 30+ leaky caps but if a disc loads, it may play via the adaptor which usually works. I had my camera rebuilt and it does take pics but has a pixel streak. The camera cannot take a pic on the adaptor. Battery only (NiCad) and they are long shot. I am working on a battery rebuild using 1/4AAA batteries (thank you Andy for the design). They fit in the case. This rig is my playback.

The Canon camera seems to be a better image and their batteries (NiCad) are also gone but the camera will take a pic on the AC adaptor but my adaptor is not showing video on the connector. You need the little module on the end of the charger to get the video. This is my camera rig.
Thanks, I really appreciate the breakdown. I've tracked down a couple of Xapshot cameras with adaptors, it'll be interesting to see whether they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Yes! Thanks for the video since it includes pictures of the playback units. It looks like there were four main models to choose from:
  • Sony MVR-5300 (looks like it may have been aimed at the TV production market)
  • Panasonic AG-810 (looks like it may have been aimed at the medical market)
  • Canon RV-301 (looks like it may have been aimed at the photography market)
  • Konica KP-400 (looks like it may have been aimed at the photography market)

I see the MVR-5300 at least has S-VHS output, that's promising. I have a Matrox MXO2 capture rig so as soon as I have a working player I'm in business.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
I am working on a battery rebuild using 1/4AAA batteries (thank you Andy for the design). They fit in the case.
I see there's someone on eBay right now advertising a rebuild of the Sony battery for $35, in case you're interested.

Here's where I am right now on my journey:

I've gone through four RC-250s on eBay. None of them play back.

I picked up a Sony MVR-5300. The electronics seem to be good but the head seems to be stuck.

I picked up a Canon RV-301 and it works with nice S-Video output -- at least 2 of the RC-250s take pictures since I can finally see the test shots I took.

So, progress!
Audiokarma