Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Fuller View Post
Isn't that interesting? Is the CRT serial number a match to your prototype, Nick?
They are one and the same.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Despite my misgivings about tampering with this set I very much want to see it operating again
No point in letting it sit around until the CRT finally goes to air and is useless.

Thinking about the historical importance of this thing is inspiring, Every one of the billions of CRT based Color sets in the world can trace it's DNA back to this set (along with the few other RCA Prototypes).
Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Administrator

One more idea, if the tube is gunned the same as a 15GP22 perhaps it would be a good idea to hook it up to a CT-100 chassis and see if it'll actually light up?
If nothing else it would be an interesting glimpse of the Phosphors used.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM

It's an idea I've tossed around a few times, trust me. I don't have a CTC-2 chassis though, only CTC-2B.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:08 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
It's an idea I've tossed around a few times, trust me. I don't have a CTC-2 chassis though, only CTC-2B.
Okay, let's work this out. I just got back from Detroit area where I picked up Bob's 1948 Moto; are you two still getting together tomorrow? (just tried calling Bob. no answer). I can probably stuff my CTC2 and the Moto in the Yaris. I for one am itching to see that tube light up w/Dorothy. What say you?

Pete
Audiokarma
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the Italians can restore DaVinci's Last Supper fresco in Milan and justify it, this box o' bulbs can get the same. Go for it. The intellectual and historic end result is seeing the intent and accuracy of the artists work...not how it got there. Think of the glowing phosphors as the canvas of the fresco and the restored, tinted plaster as the chassis.

I think intent on the part of the inventors/designers applies here. Just think of how many changes they made to this particular chassis to get what they wanted. It was not a one and done effort. And there is no hope of picking one particular version of this set. They were all failures until it worked. It was an ongoing process to get the CRT to glow in color and that should be the same here and stop at that point.

Last edited by Dave A; 06-17-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
If the Italians can restore DaVinci's Last Supper fresco in Milan and justify it, this box o' bulbs can get the same. Go for it. The intellectual and historic end result is seeing the intent and accuracy of the artists work...not how it got there. Think of the glowing phosphors as the canvas of the fresco and the restored, tinted plaster as the chassis.

I for one have to agree, especially since I have seen said fresco in person

If this is going to happen, Pete and Bob will stop by on Sat and we'll see what the result is. My hope is that we will all see what RCA had in store for the viewing public back in 1952-ish!

Quote:
I think intent on the part of the inventors/designers applies here. Just think of how many changes they made to this particular chassis to get what they wanted. It was not a one and done effort. And there is no hope of picking one particular version of this set. They were all failures until it worked. It was an ongoing process to get the CRT to glow in color, and that should be the same here and stop at that point.
Agreed, though there should be one caveat: the developmental chassis was an experiment in what was to be, insomuchas color chassis go. Let's not make any assumtions on what was TO COME, based on what we already know. That would be a mistake. Every evolutionary step beyond what I currently own is still a grand mystery. Nothing is written in stone. That said, I eagerly await the results of a developmental CRT powered by a production CTC-2 chassis. Much fanfare waiting in the wings!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Workin' Late Again

This is really, really exciting.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Interesting thing about this chassis is it may not have ever worked, at least not in the fashion we have come to expect from a Color TV.
You may get green people and orange skies for all we know, maybe it won't produce any kind of stable colors at all.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:49 PM
console lover

Maybe red apples, green grapes and blue bananas.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually it all poses a question ..if it was an experimental chassis... one designed to have changes and additions made as RCA made changes to its dot sequential system.... just which version do you restore the set to match?

But this whole exercise is one of the most exciting on this forum ever!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Throwing in my two cents; I'd restore it the way you plan on doing it, if the CRT is actually good. If it were bad, I'd have to think hard before having the CRT rebuilt. As Eric said, we don't know how functional the chassis ever was. But, it would be fun to find out.

John
Old 06-18-2011, 10:40 PM

Well, we don't have to wonder anymore!

IT WORKS!!!!

Bob and Pete stopped by today with a CTC-2 chassis, wooden CRT truck, extension cables, CRT testers (to read all the guns at one time), and of course a Wiz of Oz DVD in tow. One more test of the tube with Bob's Beltron proved that all 3 guns were indeed working perfectly, so we set about powering it in a real world situation with Pete's CTC-2. The CRT was placed in the truck, cleaned, yoke and purity assemblies installed, and Bob's anode extension wire attached. We connected my DVD player to the CTC-2 using Pete's composite input mod box, and powered the chassis through my RCA Isotap variable isolation transformer set to 115 VAC.

We threw the switch, HV spooled up, and got a bright full raster! There were a few hiccups getting an actual picture to appear which were mainly my fault for powering the DVD player incorrectly, but in the end we were able to get something on the screen. Something was amiss with the Merrill though, as it was only powering one gun at a time and so we were not able to do any convergence or get a color picture. Just proving the tube still works was a monumental success for the comminuty, and so we called it a day.

Enjoy the pictures!

Setting up the CRT for testing.

Historic first light!

Initial images being displayed. It's supposed to be the yellow brick road, but degaussing, purity, and convergence all still need to be done before anything decent appears on this tube.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP4660A.JPG (130.8 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4661A.JPG (107.9 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4662A.JPG (112.8 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4663A.JPG (118.9 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4664A.JPG (121.7 KB, 284 views)
Old 06-18-2011, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

What incredible news!

Congratulations!
jr
Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh guys ..this just so amazing ..what a find ..now you can really set out on that Yellow Brick Road... where this journey will end is anyone's guess!!
Audiokarma