Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tuner Hookups Mod

Everytime I've worked on color roundie sets, and having to remove/install the chassis hundreds of times which includes removing the tuner also and having to maneuver around all the wires, I've always encountered tuner issues with wires breaking off, and even the coaxial cable that runs from the chassis to the tuner. Question is has anyone ever thought of cutting each wire and crimp connectors to each wire (to make it more plug and play) so every time you remove the chassis from the cabinet you'll have less of a chance destroying the tuner.. Also if the set has a degaussing coil, that's another thing to make more plug and play friendlier... Just a thought. I wonder if people have made a mod like this before to make things a hell alot easier..
Old 07-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Followin' the Rules...

I find that I can service about 90% of my CTC16 set with the chassis still in the cabinet - either through the bottom ventilation area, or with the chassis "hung" by one screw and rotated out to access what I need. A bit of aluminum guy wire allows me to secure it well enough to work where I need.

Unless it is a combo, I try to always keep the chassis in the TV for servicing. Even then, take advantage of the chassis mounts for the tuner to keep it from flopping around. Starting with the CTC11 or 12, RCA made slots where the tuner could mount to the chassis for transport or bench servicing on a jig.

I use an old Magnavox console cabinet as a rolling workbench - the empty chassis area is where you'll find my CRT checker, meter, and other test items. The top is covered with indoor/outdoor carpeting and the base is casters mounted to plywood. It is just perfect for setting a console on end for servicing. I can roll it around where needed for use or storage. On the end I've got a surge strip for the extra outlets for my soldering iron. On the other end, I have plans to mount a fold-away extension to hold my Kikusui scope or VA62. Honestly, the whole setup is a copy of what my Dad used for his last 25 years in his TV shop, although he had two, and both were boxy Zenith cabinets.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like a neat setup.. My house is basically the size of a small apartment.. The only bench I have room to work on is the kitchen table, and that's only to get the chassis up to where I can sit down at a chair instead of on the floor.. The the size and amount of stuff I have in the house too won't allow me to have a workshop.. I do have an extra bedroom which was my mother's at one time, but this house is only a rental, and I don't know how much longer I'll be living here... We've been renting this house since 2002.. Money is tight, and I don't own the house, so I don't want to get too carried away if all of a sudden I have to up and leave, and I have all this stuff that I have to find a place for.. I'm trying to get out of paying $400 monthly for storage lockers which raise the rent every 6 months to a year $25 or over..
Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Have you ever tried standing the chassis behind the cabinet and hooking things up? Worked with these RCA sets, anyhow. You can operate the TV normally while accessing most anything for measurements, etc.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvcollector View Post
Sounds like a neat setup.. My house is basically the size of a small apartment.. The only bench I have room to work on is the kitchen table, and that's only to get the chassis up to where I can sit down at a chair instead of on the floor.. The the size and amount of stuff I have in the house too won't allow me to have a workshop.. I do have an extra bedroom which was my mother's at one time, but this house is only a rental, and I don't know how much longer I'll be living here... We've been renting this house since 2002.. Money is tight, and I don't own the house, so I don't want to get too carried away if all of a sudden I have to up and leave, and I have all this stuff that I have to find a place for.. I'm trying to get out of paying $400 monthly for storage lockers which raise the rent every 6 months to a year $25 or over..
I fully understand the lack of space.

As to the rental lockers, sailors here use them - and rotate between them, taking the "first month free" offer, staying a minimal amount of time, and then moving to another. The storage place never has a chance to jack up the rates. Of course, moving out of a 10X10 space vs. a 16x20 space are two different animals.....

Audiokarma
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm trying to get out of paying $400 monthly for storage lockers which raise the rent every 6 months to a year $25 or over..
Just curious, how much space do you get for $400? I have three 11 by 28 foot units that I pay $55/month each for here in NE Wisconsin. They've only gone up $5/month over the last 8 years. When you add it all up, the rent I've paid far exceeds the value of the items I have in storage!

Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM
M is for Memory

Some makers did a better job of making tuner/chassis clusters serviceable than others....Zenith and Admiral (once admiral started makin' their own color sets), Setchell Carlson and others made the tuner/control sub-chassis as unplugable modules. IIRC some RCAs used RCA jacks on the IF cables (GOOD move in my book).

Others were not so kind....I've got a Silvertone RCA CTC-15 clone where every line including IF is hard wired and the IF is the easiest to break. My solution: use zip ties as strain relief by binding the wires tightly to the tuner/control sub chassis with a little slack at the chassis. Whenever I service that set I bolt the tuner sub chassis to the back of the main chassis* and I leave it there until the set works %100 and I'm ready/about to install the back (this moves the wires the absolute minimum necessary). I always use a service mirror so I actually like it better having both the front and back controls at the back while servicing.

*On the CTC-15 the mount point is by the power interlock and you may need to add screws to the holes for them.

Have you considered setting thick cardboard on top of the console, setting the chassis there and running chassis extension cables down to the CRT? It should not be hard or expensive. Most sets use an octal or molex convergence plug which is easy to make an extension for (although the stock one might reach if you position the convergence board in the right place), a CRT socket extender can be made from a brightener (remove the heater step up transformer) by extending the leads, Yokes are usually Octal, Molex, or spade (easy), CRT metal frame to chassis ground can be done with a long clip lead, and HV....At that length you probably want to buy 3'-4' feet of 40KV (or higher) rated HV wire. I've heard bulk spark plug lead from any auto parts store will work. Add an HV suction cup from a scrap set to one end and a clip lead to the other. For safety stuff the connection between the chassis HV lead and your HV extension cable ~3" into a glass jar or cup.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-19-2017, 01:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Just curious, how much space do you get for $400? I have three 11 by 28 foot units that I pay $55/month each for here in NE Wisconsin. They've only gone up $5/month over the last 8 years. When you add it all up, the rent I've paid far exceeds the value of the items I have in storage!

I have a 10x20 that's $315 monthly at Cubesmart, and another unit at Publicstorage that's a 5x7 for $56 a month, when I got the 5x7 back in 2008, it was only $25... The 10x20 when I got that back in 2012, I wanna say was only slightly above $200..

The 10x20 has alot of stuff and shelving, it would take alot of work to keep moving to avoid rate hikes..

If I could find something local that isn't too corperate, I could probably find something cheaper that won't keep giving rate hikes..
Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's a shame that storage costs so much. We have a lot of competitors around here building hundreds of units per year. That's what probably keeps the costs low for me.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are many places around here.. The big unit happens to be less than a mile from me.. Yes, very convenient, but very costly.. They all do the same thing.. It's what you call dirty business.. They want you out, because the next person will pay higher costs to store things just for a few months in between moving, when the demand is higher they raise your rent, and it happens too frequent.. Funny how I get letters in the mail on the same day from both Public Storage and Cubesmart about the effective rate increase.. They are all tied in to each other some way...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
It's a shame that storage costs so much. We have a lot of competitors around here building hundreds of units per year. That's what probably keeps the costs low for me.

You live a lot further from large population centers where the rent is a lot higher! It's high in Milwaukee and you can't imagine how high it's in Chicago, where everything is expensive.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
You live a lot further from large population centers where the rent is a lot higher! It's high in Milwaukee and you can't imagine how high it's in Chicago, where everything is expensive.
I wouldn't trade living in an agricultural area for anything. I rent a 35 by 15 garage on an Amish-owned farmstead a mile up the road for $100 cash an month. I wait until the upstairs tenant is away to blast my old radios.

Most folks would be happy to rent an unused space to any of us TV guys. Many local garage renters work on cars late into the night, make noise, generate trash, puddles, etc.

Those storage "farms" are popping up all around the suburbs here but there is a reason its profitable use of land, they write the rules to take full advantage of all the typical scenarios.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 07-24-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found a warehouse which has businesses in front and ware houses and office spaces in the back that houses an auto garage attached to it, and there are 10x20 units that are meant for overflow storage from the other businesses on the property.. There are pros and cons though.. The pros is that the rent is only $220 plus tax monthly, and there won't be a rate hikes.. The space has high ceilings and a mezzanine, so the space is almost double.. So I can move all stuff out of my Public Storage unit 5x7, and my cubesmart 10x20 and save around $136 monthly.. I have 24hour access.. Now with the cons, the unit is not climate controlled, though I do have an option to purchase a portable $14000btu Ac/Heat unit, landlord may raise the rent if the unit is running all the time.. The place is 7.6 miles from my house compared to being 8 blocks away like my 10x20 is.. Also of course the move, and how am I going to move all my stuff there.. Option one would be to rent a truck, and hire friends for a days worth of moving, or pay another months rent, and slowly sort out stuff and use a friend with a truck to move stuff that won't fit in a car.. And also use friends in general to take loads to the new spot.. The place is a lease like renting an apartment.. First, Last and security, and he said he can work with the security as for paying that slowly.. So in the long run, I will be saving money, but I got to at least come up with $478 to move in... What do you all think?
Old 07-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
I found a warehouse which has businesses in front and ware houses and office spaces in the back that houses an auto garage attached to it, and there are 10x20 units that are meant for overflow storage from the other businesses on the property.. There are pros and cons though.. The pros is that the rent is only $220 plus tax monthly, and there won't be a rate hikes.. The space has high ceilings and a mezzanine, so the space is almost double.. So I can move all stuff out of my Public Storage unit 5x7, and my cubesmart 10x20 and save around $136 monthly.. I have 24hour access.. Now with the cons, the unit is not climate controlled, though I do have an option to purchase a portable $14000btu Ac/Heat unit, landlord may raise the rent if the unit is running all the time.. The place is 7.6 miles from my house compared to being 8 blocks away like my 10x20 is.. Also of course the move, and how am I going to move all my stuff there.. Option one would be to rent a truck, and hire friends for a days worth of moving, or pay another months rent, and slowly sort out stuff and use a friend with a truck to move stuff that won't fit in a car.. And also use friends in general to take loads to the new spot.. The place is a lease like renting an apartment.. First, Last and security, and he said he can work with the security as for paying that slowly.. So in the long run, I will be saving money, but I got to at least come up with $478 to move in... What do you all think?
Payback seems like 4 months or so, and more room? Winner.

As to friends, a case of beer waiting at the end of the move does wonders. I moved an entire house once for a Hardee's meal. (Ok, she was young, newly single, and cute too, but the burger was pretty sweet....)

Also, some triage may be necessary - I got rid of a bunch of stuff when I had to vacate a rented storefront once. Three loads to the scrapyard for $13 bucks total - all steel shred or lowest aluminum price, as it was all mixed together, and January to boot...it paid for gas and a happy meal.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!