Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Another new member

Hi Everyone, I am also new to this forum. I grew up with early color my Dad brought a Zenith color set around late 1963. I still remember watching that set as a young child and shows like Flipper, Disney, Bonanza and Batman in color. We lived in the Los Angeles broadcast market and just about all broadcasting was in color around 1966. I think it was that set that got me interested in electronics and broadcasting.

In the late seventies I worked for a Zenith dealer, back then people would have their sets repaired and it was common even to change CRTs. I would fix up roundies that were trade-ins and sell them to friends. In 1974 my parents bought a new solid-state zenith with the 25EC58 chassis. Just by fate and a lot of luck I still have the round Zenith I grew up with. The chassis is 25MC33 with space command in near mint condition. I’m going to recap it someday soon it’s starting to have problems with color sync and showing it’s age and I need to change the CRT but the other jugs I have don’t match the color of the bezel. This set still has its original CRT. It has only had needed parts replaced to keep it running. When the shop closed in the eighties my old boss let me save parts to be able to keep this guy running for many years. I have a few 21”sets at work as well.

I also like tube HI FI, radios and nothing is better to work on old televisions then tube test equipment but I do use a modern color bar generator. I could not stand using the tube RCA unit I had.

I learned a lot from the old timers at that shop and I still remember a lot of the tricks they taught me. Hope to be able to help others from time to time. I’m glad there are other people interested in our electronic history. Most people my age have no idea how tubes work. They do get a bang out of my sets.
I will try and post a picture of one of them where I work.

Steve