Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I thought a little diesel wouldn't hurt a gas car. When my step dad got his Peugeot 505 (gas) he accidentally put diesel in it (his previous car was an 80-something Volkswagen Quantum/Passat Diesel) We just pumped most of it out and put gas in, no problem. That car also has a low compression engine, so I don't know if that is a factor.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
I thought a little diesel wouldn't hurt a gas car. When my step dad got his Peugeot 505 (gas) he accidentally put diesel in it (his previous car was an 80-something Volkswagen Quantum/Passat Diesel) We just pumped most of it out and put gas in, no problem. That car also has a low compression engine, so I don't know if that is a factor.
A little diesel won't hurt a gas car, it'd just make it smokey. I suppose if you ran it too much, the soot might foul the catalytic. It's the other way around you have to worry about. Gas in a diesel engine can detonate rather violently. Detonation is when the fuel charge instantly explodes in the combustion chamber, as opposed to just burning from top to bottom, which is what you want. Detonation (or "knock") is never a good thing in any internal combustion engine, but diesel engines have a very high compression, so gas detonates with much more force.

If the amount of gas mixed into the diesel isn't that much, it doesn't do much damage usually. Draining the fuel tank is usually all it takes.

The only time I've dealt with this was with a BRAND spanking new 2018 Sprinter van. Hadn't even got its first oil change, and the guy driving it filled the tank to the brim with E85. It did still run, but wouldn't take any throttle. I believe the computer knew something was wrong and refused to do anything but idle. I also think it was fortunate that it was E85 instead of gas, as ethanol doesn't like to detonate nearly as much as gas does.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Gas in a diesel engine can detonate rather violently. Detonation is when the fuel charge instantly explodes in the combustion chamber, as opposed to just burning from top to bottom, which is what you want. Detonation (or "knock") is never a good thing in any internal combustion engine, but diesel engines have a very high compression, so gas detonates with much more force.
That's what I figured with diesel being less volatile
Old 02-07-2020, 08:46 AM
M is for Memory

A little diesel in the gas isn't much different from an engine with worn rings that let a little oil into the combustion chamber.... except once all the diesel is out of the gas the engine goes back to normal which don't happen with bad rings...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-21-2020, 08:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I believe the last Cadillac to offer a manual transmission would have been a 52 or 53. I'm nearly certain they all had autos by 55.

I think the last full size Chevy (Biscayne - Bel Air - Impala - Caprice) to have a manual was probably around 73, certainly the last of the manuals would have been in the 71-74 era (and this probably would have been some rare stripped down 3-speed column shift model, I don't think they put 4-speeds in after 1970 or maybe even 69 - I've never seen one with a 4-speed newer than 68). I don't think they made any 75-76s with manuals at all.

Full size Buicks only offered a 4-speed from 63-65, but the 3-speed manual continued as a rare option into the early 70s.

Oldsmobile seems to have made a few full size 4-speed cars in 65-66, and also continues the 3 on the tree as a rare option into the early 70s.

Pontiac offered 4-speeds in their big cars as early as 1960, but probably discontinued them in '68 (I've never even seen a picture of one newer than 68 with the 4-speed). I think here also the column shift 3-speed continued as a rare option until at least '71.

If I could go back in time and special order any car I wanted, I'd be a 60 Buick Invicta 2 door hardtop with the 401 nailhead and a 3-on the tree (I think the only 60 Buicks they really made with the 3-speed were base model Le Sabres with the 364 - 2 barrel engine). Actually, I'd love to find any of the 59-60 GM full size cars, especially one with the 3-speed.
old thread but fwiw GM A bodies 78-81 still had a 3-tree or 4 floor option, my dad had a 79 century wagon with the v6 3 tree and I found a 81 malibu 2 door 305 4spd at Carlisle 3 years ago and was pulling out the checkbook ($2200) when the owner discovered he left off a zero....

These were all RWD cars, the FWD cars kept a stick well into the 90's and some later.

PS: if you have a Grenada ESS (or not) with the 302/SROD - call me

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You missed the words SEVERAL and COLLECTIVELY in the post you quoted. I'm fully aware an Escalade is an up trim Suburban....A new suburban costs around 60k. For that money I could get atleast 3 decent used Escalades (possibly as many as 8) and 3 used Escalades would collectively out last 1 new suburban...the same way 3 Suburbans will outlast one if you only have one of them in service in a given season and the rest stored.
And I was also thinking used Suburbans and used Yukon XL by the way here. As in those are also often cheaper than the Escalades, and simpler.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
And I was also thinking used Suburbans and used Yukon XL by the way here. As in those are also often cheaper than the Escalades, and simpler.
I know. There's nothing wrong with wanting a simpler vehicle. Depending on the year used escalades aren't much more complicated than a Yukon Denali. Given even my simple suburban has needed it's fair share of of maintenance on all fronts stuff will need to be fixed no matter what you drive. The nice thing is the common parts on the drivetrain and chassis of all vheicles in that family are pretty good solid designs...the luxury features I don't regularly use or need to use can sit broken till/if they ever become important enough to bother...my suburban came to me with an AC leak that would bleed it out in a week or two. Being used to Florida summers but living in Wisconsin now I only would charge the AC for long hour+ drives or on the worst day(s) of summer (windows down is usually all I need to feel fine) and 3 years of using 134 with stop leak has gotten it to the point it will now hold charge for months. I honestly don't know if the rear headphones based radio even works since I never had a desire to use it.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 PM
Collector of heavy things

Getting almost) back to the subject of this thread, I'm surprised that I haven't seen much mentioned in the way of pushbutton controls for the early automatic transmissions. Here's the unwieldy-looking button panel for the mid '50s Packard Touchbutton Ultramatic:

First Row: Neutral, Low, High
Second Row: Park, Reverse, Drive

Probably the most famous was Chrysler's pushbutton-controlled PowerFlite and TorqueFlite transmissions, offered between 1956 and 1964. Here's the button panel from a PowerFlite-equipped car:

(the parking brake was engaged using a separate lever)

Less well-known was the Teletouch system used in the ill-fated Edsel line. Inexplicably, they chose to place the pushbutton controls smack dab in the center of the steering wheel, which probably caused some interesting transmission acrobatics when someone not well-acquainted with the system tried to honk the horn as you would on most other cars. Here's a photo:

Closer view:

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 07-20-2020, 09:57 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
Getting almost) back to the subject of this thread, I'm surprised that I haven't seen much mentioned in the way of pushbutton controls for the early automatic transmissions. Here's the unwieldy-looking button panel for the mid '50s IMG]
I wasn't familiar with the Packard push button control for the ultramatic (you don't see a lot Packard's outdoors in my neck of the woods). I wonder what Packard used for a linkage?

The Edsel used an electronic pushbutton system and supposedly some cars developed steering dependent shorts in the shift wiring causing the transmission to freakout on turns...That had to be fun. IIRC horn rings not on the hub of the steering wheel we're more common up to the time of the Edsel so there probably we're more accidental honk shifts when the got to be a few years old than when new.

Chrysler used a standard shift cable with the push buttons pulling the mechanical shift cable to the same points a shift lever would. It was a very reliable system from what I understand. Mopar had atleast one other bezel and button mech during their pushbutton automatic days.... one of my favorite big fin cars is the 60 Plymouth Furry and they have the that other style. Coldwarmotors on YouTube rebuilt the pushbutton mech on the 60 furry he is splicing together.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:06 AM
Collector of heavy things

Quote:
I wasn't familiar with the Packard push button control for the ultramatic (you don't see a lot Packard's outdoors in my neck of the woods). I wonder what Packard used for a linkage?
According to Wikipedia article I linked to above, Packard's pushbutton Ultradrive, like Edsel's Teletouch, used electronic methods to select gears. Unfortunately, the motor they used (a modified starter) was not well-suited for the task, often having difficulties shifting the transmission out of park while the car was parked on a steep hill, popping its circuit breaker and leaving the driver stranded.

Quote:
The Edsel used an electronic pushbutton system and supposedly some cars developed steering dependent shorts in the shift wiring causing the transmission to freakout on turns...That had to be fun. IIRC horn rings not on the hub of the steering wheel we're more common up to the time of the Edsel so there probably we're more accidental honk shifts when the got to be a few years old than when new.
Yes, contact issues were one of numerous issues Edsel ran into with their pushbutton transmission, including many of the same problems Packard had had with their system (Ford used a modified wiper motor instead of a starter, which didn't prove much better). One of the oddest aspects of the Teletouch system has nothing directly to do with the transmission itself, but the promotional mask seen at the bottom of this page. I have no idea what they were thinking..........

Quote:
Chrysler used a standard shift cable with the push buttons pulling the mechanical shift cable to the same points a shift lever would. It was a very reliable system from what I understand. Mopar had atleast one other bezel and button mech during their pushbutton automatic days.... one of my favorite big fin cars is the 60 Plymouth Furry and they have the that other style. Coldwarmotors on YouTube rebuilt the pushbutton mech on the 60 furry he is splicing together.
Yeah, Chrysler's system worked far better than the electronic method Packard and Edsel/Ford tried. There are many theories as to why it went away for the 1965 model year, including that government regulations regarding standardizing driving controls made them illegal, though some folks dispute this. Anyway, this is probably my favorite version of their pushbutton panel:

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors

Last edited by AdamAnt316; 07-21-2020 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Just had to add that mask..........
Audiokarma