Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Why did others drop out of early color manufacturing?

Initially just about everybody was at the starting gate for the beginning of color. Then suddenly just about everybody dropped out execpt RCA? Does anyone have a definitive answer as to why?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:18 PM
AK Member

Not an expert by any means, but I thought I read once that RCA owned many or most of the patients on color circuits and other manufactures had to pay a royalty to use them. That might have hurt their profit margin to compete... Anyway thats one theory....

Lefty

038° 00' 58.68" -122° 15' 39.54"
134.84 ft
Old 11-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Frenchy

Even RCA wasn't making money in the early days of color, maybe the low sales and slow takeoff of color was to blame, the first sets were just too expensive and not enough programming. Makes me think of the quickk internet boom and bust which weeded out a lot of companies.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:04 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

In the case of Zenith, they claim it was because Color TV wasn't "ready" for the Zenith name until 1962. This kinda sounds like hype, but then again, they didn't introduce their first TV set until '49 for the same reason.

I sure wish they had... a mid-50s Zenith color set woulda been awesome (Porthole anybody?). By the time '62 rolled around, they were almost too refined.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:39 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

It was a combination of small market and RCA stranglehold on patents. RCA was traken to court for requiring other manufacturers to buy a full bundle of patents, while the others wanted to develop their own circuits and pay ony for the essential system patents. RCA was eventually forced to unbundle. If the market had really taken off (which would have required much lower prices), then everyone may have agreed to pay the RCA royalties. As it turned out, the prices of color sets stayed almost constant in dollar number, but decreased in real terms as inflation gradually raised the cost of basics and the salaries that people earned. The turnover in color growth was about 1965, and by then the patent dispute had been settled and other manufacturers were back in the market. 1964 or so was when the first 21-inch sets were advertised for under $500. The '65 models also included the first rectangular sets. These temporarily kept the console pricing up, but smaller rectangular "portables" and table models were introduced at lower prices and the flood gates opened.
Audiokarma
Old 11-13-2005, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhere I saw a great book with photos of early color sets from nearly everybody in the radio/tv business in the early '50s. I'm sure some of those here know the book; some of you guys probably own the very sets pictured! Anyhow, I guess after dumping tons of money into building a limited production (to satisfy orders from big distributors/dealers who wanted sets to display) they all saw the sets just sit on the showroom floor. I've read of NOS CT-100s still being unsold later on in the fifties & finally being sold at a hefty discount. I'm sure the smaller makers had similiar results.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith Color TV

Zenith did make a small number of 15" color sets in later 1953 and early 1954. But in their 1953 anual report, they state that they did not feel color TV was mature enough technology for them to take it to maket. They probably made the right decision.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:48 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I know Zenith made some early color sets, but I don't think they were sold to the public... Rather "leased" to dealers, then recalled by the company to be scrapped. Kinda like GM and their EV1 electric cars.

Were there any designs besides the one you have posted?

And from a financial standpoint, I agree... Probably the right decision not to mass produce. Then again, I'd imagine their sets to be more robust and therefore reliable, might have helped public acceptance.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Does this means all different brands used RCA chassis.
When did magnavox start producing their own chassis (If they ever did) I can see from some RCA brochures that Magnavox had the same chassis lay-out in the beginning of the 60's
Old 11-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Another thing could have been the bitter animus between Sarnoff & Cdr. Eugene McDonald of Zenith. McDonald was a patrician WASP & Sarnoff was a Russian Jew who was, well, I guess "abrasive" would be about the kindest way to describe him. RCA could afford a lot more technical staff than Zenith could, & I think Sarnoff enjoyed getting the good Commander's goat as often as he could.-Sandy G.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Damn does run fast…

I wonder if RCA's taking full credit for color TV also was a factor. I'm sure Philco, GE, etc were more than happy to see RCA take credit for their efforts..... (not!)

On the programming side - RCA sold studio gear, NBC was RCA. Why bother spending money to go color with your competitior's product to sell your competitior's product?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Color TV Buyers Guide

[QUOTE=bgadow]Somewhere I saw a great book with photos of early color sets from nearly everybody in the radio/tv business in the early '50s. I'm sure some of those here know the book; some of you guys probably own the very sets pictured. (QUOTE).

I think this is the book Bryan is refering to:

importD10.jpg
Address:http://community-2.webtv.net/stevete.../importD10.jpg

Among the 1957 color models featured are: RCA, ADMIRAL, EMERSON, GENERAL ELECTRIC, HOFFMAN, MAGNAVOX, MOTOROLA, PHILCO, SYLVANIA. All 21" models. The 22" Westinghouse rectangular (2nd from top) is pictured on the cover but not listed. My opinion on why color tv stumbled in the 50's can be found on my site.

-Steve D.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon1308
Does this means all different brands used RCA chassis.
When did magnavox start producing their own chassis (If they ever did) I can see from some RCA brochures that Magnavox had the same chassis lay-out in the beginning of the 60's
Interesting question --
In terms of copying - some places copied RCA (after paying for the right, of course), others not. Zenith built their early prototypes in an "Erector Set" sort of frame, then changed out circuits as they developed new ones. They were very fond of the gated-beam tube that they had invented, used it for both color demodulation and the burst gate tube in that chassis. Continued using it for color demodulation for a long time. Admiral, on the other hand, was one of the copiers.

In terms of buying complete chassis or sets from RCA, I don't know if any brands may have done that. Maybe someone else here does. I think it was more common for some manufacturers that copied RCA to then private-label sets for department stores, etc.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom
Zenith did make a small number of 15" color sets in later 1953 and early 1954.
Now THAT is one cool looking color tv set!

On the proposition of a 'porthole' color set, I used to wonder if that would have even been possible... did the tubes require that the top and bottom areas be reserved for supporting structures or mounts for the mask? Heh, like converging those suckers wasn't hard enough back then, let's throw in the top and bottom edges! 8: )

Last edited by frenchy; 11-14-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old Tv Nut knows his history. I was told R.C.A. made so many round tubes , that was why it took so long to come up with the rectangular tube in 1965. We could of done it sooner but like you said patents & the fact that R.C.A. thought every body would come up pay $ 1,000 for a color set,made to many round tubes......frenchy, Like the first B & W TV they could make round tubes faster like oscilloscope tubes. So Color same way. They just added the flate top & bottom, well don't know why can anybody help ?

Last edited by G.B.; 11-14-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Audiokarma