Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Poor use of REAL cameras on recent period drama

I just caught the recently aired "DR Blake Mysteries" produced by the ABC in assosciation with ITV.

Interestingly they used real cameras for the period studio scenes, I beleive the cameras originally came from the Bob Phillips shortlived tv museum which was sold onto ACMI and never seen again. The sale caused a lot of controversy because much of the equipment was "on loan", I know who loaned the MK IV and was told it was also on loan...but he never saw it again.

Anyhow, i am rather annoyed at what appears to be common on australian tv dramas now, and its this sloppy approach to authenticity when dealing with period scenes.

As you can see the cameras have had both added a non original top viewfinder, purely made up for this program - obviously because they needed them to look produce images, i cant understand why this stupid add on was done, why not add a small LCD in front of the real CRT's or add in in later in post like all the other tv shots do. Its destroyed any authenticity the scene started out with. You'll also note that in a close up the cable is clearly not connected, and in another shot, the camera is on a currently used vinten fulmar pedestal, which didnt come out until much later, and was NEVER used on these cameras in australia.

They also appear to be using a marconi CCU monitor for a floor monitor

So many mistakes in the movies we are producing, and so easily overcome had they actually asked someone (I was never contacted about this film, I'd have answered those questions for free).

Oh and the valve televisions in later scenes turn on instantly, (with realistic static and vertical hold computer added image to the screen later).

I dont understand why they go to such lengths to make effects and alike realistic but forget to research other elements, which then defeat any realism or historical accuracy a scene had...if they are going to destroy it, why dont they just make it all up from scratch, it just looks sloppy effort to me.

Also for the record, the station depicted in the program was Ballarat television BTV 8 , in reality it was BTV6 and didnt start on the air until around 1962, the studio scenes are shot obviously at the ripponlea studios of the ABC where all period scenes are shot now, but no attempt is made to hide the iconic features of the studios, so exterior shots are instantly recognisable as the ABC studios, it'd be liked shooting an exterior scene out the front of the BBC and saying its a hollywood backlot.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Are you saying they made Big holes to mount the view finder on a Marconi Mark IV & !!!((IT MAKES ME CRY). Why don't you chase up the prop man , as they might be dumped shorty .Were have these come from ?

Last edited by XDCAM; 03-23-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Speaking of TK41, they have a pair on cranes in Jailhouse Rock (1957) but no pictures on viewfinders and no monitors in mock"control room". Looks like they were borrowed from NBC and their weight seems to be no problem for the camera cranes.