Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

I was thinking, the only American electronics company that has a 4 letter name is Dage, I once had a industrial video camera made by them. They still are in business. Here is their history page on their website.
http://www.dagemti.com/?page=about_us
If it is an American, it made might be by them.
I found a page on early television dot org , on dage monitors and history. they never made tv sets just monitors and cameras
http://www.earlytelevision.org/dage_650.html
Actually i found another American company that uses 4 letters GRAY research
here is a link on them
http://www.earlytelevision.org/gray_monitor.html Logan
Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 AM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
I was thinking, the only American electronics company that has a 4 letter name is Dage, I once had a industrial video camera made by them. They still are in business. Here is their history page on their website.
http://www.dagemti.com/?page=about_us
If it is an American, it made might be by them.
I found a page on early television dot org , on dage monitors and history. they never made tv sets just monitors and cameras
http://www.earlytelevision.org/dage_650.html
Actually i found another American company that uses 4 letters GRAY research
here is a link on them
http://www.earlytelevision.org/gray_monitor.html Logan
thanks you very much for the research, but the two names suggested by you do not seem to have made a similar model. in a moment I had come to mind BARCO a factory of belgium that produced precisely minitor professional, but with wooden furniture as for color TV consumer. But BARCO it is 5 letters, no 4. and then I think that in the era BARCO did not exist yet. To that time there was the BUSH, PYE and Philips that began to produce color TV manufacturing, is perhaps the English, and perhaps really BUSH?
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
What vintage is that scope and when did what I call "camera bars" (non-SMPTE) appear?
I think full field bars were one of the earliest electronically generated test patterns, so I'd say they go back to the 50's. I know before SMPTE bars there were RCA bars which were different. I only had one machine, an old Telemation from the 60's that generated that type of bars, but they were also electronically generated. I think earlier than that and you're talking slides and camera cards for the test patterns, since the monoscopes were only suitable for b&w. Although, I suppose you could theoretically use a 3 tube monoscope to generate a color pattern, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

David
Old 08-11-2008, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Which encyclopedia (brand and year) and what article?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Scope is late 50's early 60's. Tektronix.
Audiokarma
Old 08-12-2008, 01:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenzeprima View Post
[p.s. looking at the front bezel, it looks like a 4 letter name or abbreviation, it looks like TMFR, TBFR or TBFM?[/QUOTE

the photo is taken from an encyclopedia of the 70s.
i do not think that is european tv set.

you are right. there are 4 letters,

the first is not identified _
the second seems an E
the third seems an A or C
the 4th seems a M or H

- E A M perhaps TEAM ? or TECH???? or BEAM?

in attach one pics magnified
Two electronics companies come to mind that may fit your four letter logo , starting with "T". "TERK" made video monitors and I believe "TEAC" also made/makes video monitors.

-Steve D.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Two electronics companies come to mind that may fit your four letter logo , starting with "T". "TERK" made video monitors and I believe "TEAC" also made/makes video monitors.

-Steve D.

TERK uhhmmm ... IT is American company? TEAC instead should be Japanese, I would not understand that TEAC has produced color monitors in those years. they were more in the manufacture audio equipment. now a little navigate the web and see if there is material with the initials approached me cite.
Yes the vaweform it is TEKTRONIX is recognizable by the red knobs.
the photo belongs to a printed encyclopedia (1973) in Italy and the article spoke about the birth of colour TV. There were other photo cameras with 41 TK and TK 42. I public below
Fernando

Last edited by firenzeprima; 03-10-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

My first thought is that this is not Zenith - I don't believe they ever had any chassis like the round tube ones, and their early rectangular tube would have been used in a large floor model cabinet that contained a girder-system mechanical chassis for easy modification they used for their experimental 15GP22 inch sets, I think. The one in back seems to be a monitor rather than a developmental chassis - very interesting, but hard to say for sure. The indian headress boy slide was one we had at Zenith, but right now I can't recall what the source of the slide was. It is not one of the original Kodak NTSC test series. I don't recogniz the flower slide. An amazing thing about this picture is that it appears to be of real TV pictures, not mechanical cut and paste. Note that you can see a shadow of the bezel on the flower picture, and both pictures have the proper perspective distortion for the angle of the sets. This has to be a carefully lighted and exposed shot by a photographer who was used to making such pictures for publicity and advertising.

This is the kind of picture that could have been shot originally for inclusion in an annual report of a company.

Please tell us the name of the journal and post copies of the whole article if you can.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 08-13-2008 at 11:49 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 PM

Another thought - this lab apparently had two simultaneous sources of video! You would not find that at Zenith or Motorola, I believe, only a really rich place like Philips or some place associated also with broadcast equipment.

Also, I don't recognize the piece of test gear the man is touching.

Could this be French or Canadian?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 PM

AHA! I think the badge says SECAM!

EDIT: I looked again and I'm not so sure
Audiokarma
Old 08-14-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
AHA! I think the badge says SECAM!

EDIT: I looked again and I'm not so sure

uuhmm .. is really difficult, I believed that it was easier to identify which brands were 2 color TV SET. on label you read SECAM? uuhhnn no there are only 4 letters I, for example, now a coup eye we read SEAM. images are extracted from a book for children called "Tell me how it works." In language original; "Dis, comment ca marche" Translate in italian "Dimmi come funziona" I found the book, and I went to see the press. is the library Hachette Paris years 1972 and all authors of the book are French, then you might think that the photo is taken by a French laboratory. In attach some new picture

Last edited by firenzeprima; 03-10-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:02 AM

I found a paper on the business and political history of the development of SECAM, PAL etc.
http://www.h-net.org/~business/bhcwe...0062-p0068.pdf

It says that initially there were 40 French manufacturers of black and white TVs, but that the expense of developing SECAM eventually resulted in many mergers until there were only 2. None of the steps mentioned along the way would have the initials SEAM, so it is still a mystery.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

The cooling vents on the top look very Philips/Normende. Like the vents on the European radios from the 50's/60's.

Dave A
Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The rectangular set has a very European style. My guess is that the round sets are partially RCA (crt and maybe the basic cabinet) with a chassis pieced together by someone in Europe. Could this have been a comparison of different systems for color?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The whole thing looks VERY "staged", to me. And the pics on the CRTs are almost certainly "matted" in. Still, it would be nice to know who/what/when, wouldn't it ?