Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-20-2020, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I mean, if the inductor was shorted between windings you'd know of it pretty quickly as that's high current 120v.

I am assuming you have the relay bypass jumper installed when testing? Otherwise your circuit breaks at the relay.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I mean, if the inductor was shorted between windings you'd know of it pretty quickly as that's high current 120v.

I am assuming you have the relay bypass jumper installed when testing? Otherwise your circuit breaks at the relay.

You shouldn't assume. I'm just a step or two above novice. :-P

No, I am not shorting the pins. So, I should do this when the board is not installed in the unit and I'm testing? Should I short it when the board is plugged in to the wall? It's just something I'm not familiar with and I apologize for coming across so ignorant. If I'm wrong here, would you mind explaining to me the process of using this shorting pin, and when I would use it? Also, where did you get that diagram? I did not see that in the service manual. I guess I could have missed it though.

Also also, thank you for taking time to converse with me about this. I'm just excited about owning this, and really want to get it working. I'll short those pins and then report back what I find.

The MotoDork

Last edited by cornponious; 05-22-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not a problem. Any pool of knowledge is better than seemingly yelling into the void.
The diagram is near the back of the service manual mixed in with the PCB layouts.

The jumper bypasses the need for the CO-V300 or similar to be attached. It delivers the voltage which closes the relay and allows the autochanger to power on. Without the controller attached or powered on the relay can't close so the jumper just bypasses the relay entirely.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Not a problem. Any pool of knowledge is better than seemingly yelling into the void.
The diagram is near the back of the service manual mixed in with the PCB layouts.

The jumper bypasses the need for the CO-V300 or similar to be attached. It delivers the voltage which closes the relay and allows the autochanger to power on. Without the controller attached or powered on the relay can't close so the jumper just bypasses the relay entirely.
Ok, now wait a minute. Let me add this little tidbit of information. I do not have the CO-V300 commander. I only have the LC-V300. Uh... is this my problem?? :-|

Do i need to have that jumper on to make this thing work since I don't have the commander? Am I this much of a dumbass?

The MotoDork
Old 05-23-2020, 01:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, the commander is required both to turn the LC-V300 on AND to command it to operate, otherwise it has no way on its own to be manually operated as a standalone device.
This is why I had to cave in and ship a commander from the opposite corner of the pacific.

One thing I found out is that unless you are doing nothing but karaoke the commander is not really all that useful otherwise as it's programmed to handle LaserKaraoke discs and lacks most of the standard commands you expect from a laserdisc player, like pause and frame select.

The service manual however states this is not something hard-coded to the autochanger. Pioneer also had a service tool that let someone completely substitute the commander in a technical service perspective and it includes all the standard laserdisc commands. I have never seen the tool and don't know what its part number was but presumably if you crack its secrets suddenly you can make the LC-V300 be a 72 disc laserdisc player and the possibilities stem from there.
Mind you, a serial interface may also already exist as well since the LC-V300 was also available in an industrial package. The closest thing I can find is the Pioneer LC-V330 which on the outside is visually identical to the V300 aside from the laserkaraoke badging and front window removed, there are conflicting reports on how many discs it can hold and while I DO have the MS-DOS software that lets you control one over a serial port (you can find it here), that I can tell it uses a different commander interface with the more standard 15 pin connector instead of the 25 pin port the V300 uses. There's still a lot of presumably Pioneer documented but not available online mysteries.

Edited: Pioneer lists that the service manual for the LC-V330 does exist but is not available for download - http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=ARP1666

Last edited by MIPS; 05-23-2020 at 01:30 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2020, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yes, the commander is required both to turn the LC-V300 on AND to command it to operate, otherwise it has no way on its own to be manually operated as a standalone device.
This is why I had to cave in and ship a commander from the opposite corner of the pacific.

One thing I found out is that unless you are doing nothing but karaoke the commander is not really all that useful otherwise as it's programmed to handle LaserKaraoke discs and lacks most of the standard commands you expect from a laserdisc player, like pause and frame select.

The service manual however states this is not something hard-coded to the autochanger. Pioneer also had a service tool that let someone completely substitute the commander in a technical service perspective and it includes all the standard laserdisc commands. I have never seen the tool and don't know what its part number was but presumably if you crack its secrets suddenly you can make the LC-V300 be a 72 disc laserdisc player and the possibilities stem from there.
Mind you, a serial interface may also already exist as well since the LC-V300 was also available in an industrial package. The closest thing I can find is the Pioneer LC-V330 which on the outside is visually identical to the V300 aside from the laserkaraoke badging and front window removed, there are conflicting reports on how many discs it can hold and while I DO have the MS-DOS software that lets you control one over a serial port (you can find it here), that I can tell it uses a different commander interface with the more standard 15 pin connector instead of the 25 pin port the V300 uses. There's still a lot of presumably Pioneer documented but not available online mysteries.

Edited: Pioneer lists that the service manual for the LC-V330 does exist but is not available for download - http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/...uctNum=ARP1666
HOLY SHIT thank you so much for this information! Ok so I will try the jumper thingy and report back what happens. I was so upset when I plugged this thing in initially and there was nothing at all. But now I know I either need the CO-V300 or the jumper.

The unfortunate part is I broke off one the pins on one of the Murata KC103P ceramic capacitors (it bent too much and broke right off). Fortunately I found a 25-pack of them in england (new old stock) and they are on their way. So I'm at least going to replace all three of those little capacitors.

Again, thank you for your time and assistance!

The MotoDork
Old 05-23-2020, 02:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you REALLY want to be desperate and just verify the thing actually works, read the service manual again and find the section on performing local diagnostics. There's a listed but complicated way to manually select, load, clamp and play discs but it is not the most ideal way to operate the autochanger manually.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
If you REALLY want to be desperate and just verify the thing actually works, read the service manual again and find the section on performing local diagnostics. There's a listed but complicated way to manually select, load, clamp and play discs but it is not the most ideal way to operate the autochanger manually.
I shall! Thank you, sir!

FYI, I really did enjoy your video on these devices.

The MotoDork
Old 06-08-2020, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I just wanted to report back that the changer is now functional! The jumper did the trick and I can't thank you enough. Now to find a CO-V300 (or V50).

The MotoDork
Old 02-19-2021, 02:41 AM
DIGITRON

Location: MULTIPLEX TV SOUND CATV;AIR;MTS;PCM;XDS-cc;vps;pdc;txt
Smile

Quote:
https://youtu.be/mUyC4ZmQbSk
http://www.videokarma.org/member.php?u=71610

Last edited by svhs; 03-15-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-21-2021, 03:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pioneer Laserkaraoke

Not sure if there is anything I can help in this discussion which has been going on for a few years.

I own one set of Pioneer LC-V200 and one Autochanger Commander CO-C200, Remote Control Unit CU-V132 and user manuals. The unit has been working perfectly over the past 25 years.

The Remote Control Unit CU-V132 has the buttons Play/Start, Stop, Number keyboard 0 to 9, A, B, Clear, Enter, Skip and Scan backward & forward, pause, mute, display, audio, Digital/Analog (meaning No Vocal/with Vocal in Karaoke).
Old 04-21-2021, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well that confirms for me that the remote I brought back from Tokyo is the correct remote. Most of the functions worked however since I don't have the extra audio effects and amplifier modules the pitch controls and the likes don't work.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Well that confirms for me that the remote I brought back from Tokyo is the correct remote. Most of the functions worked however since I don't have the extra audio effects and amplifier modules the pitch controls and the likes don't work.
I am using a Pioneer CLD-V840 (with a remote) for pitch control with 3 buttons
"low" "Normal" "High" - the pitch can go up or down to 5 levels and returns to normal with the "Normal" button. Just connect the left and right audio out from the changer to the "AUX in" jacks and then out through the "Audio out" jacks to a Sony TA-E2000ESD Pre-amp (with remote) and then through a Mackie Profx8 mixer before the signal goes into the power amp to drive the speakers. The Sony Pre-amp and the Mackie mixer has all the audio effects.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Guys and Gals. So I have a LC-V330 and would love to be able to operate the darn thing.

Can I hook up to a PC with a 9 pin to 25 Pin RS-232 cable ?
Anyone know of a " Autochanger Commander " going ?

Somewhere I read a Ru-V101 remote can operate the machine, so of coarse i bought it and it has a earplug jack on it which no matter how many beers i have, will not fit into the 25 pin serial.

HELP !