Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

veg-o-matic If you haven't found the problem with laura check c43c 40 uf @475 volts It is in the vert out circuit. My sams may be diffrent so look around and trace the wires off the vert output transformer. One should lead you to the cap. a red or blue wire. My zenith combo did that. pic had bends and rolls up from the bottom.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Huh?

Here's another new wrinkle

Just for the heck of it, I turned on the set last night to watch my favorite program (How Clean is Your House? ) and not only was the picture really wavy (with worse-than-normal retrace lines), but now it hums, too

And here I was, looking forward all year to watching Rudolph on my roundie.

veg
Old 11-30-2004, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your best bet is to go ahead and recap all the filter lytics. Once that is done, all the problems are solved. Good luck-Doug
Old 11-30-2004, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-08-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Huh?

Okay, I just ordered the SAMS for the set. Guess I'll have to bluff my way through "understanding" it. Just hope I don't blow up anything (Village Idiot, remember...)

Coupla questions, tho. Will the SAMS specify which of the caps are the filters? And if they're that kind in the cans, will it spell out all the different values inside?

This is supposed to be fun, I keep telling myself...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:28 AM
Huh?

Step One...

Okay, I got myself a copy of the SAMs for this set. Looks like there are 10 electrolytics in there, three of them are those multi-part ones in cans.

Where's the best and cheapest place to order caps? I was looking at Mouser, but they seem kinda pricey. Or am I just cheap?

Also, I wasn't finding all the exact values. I know it's okay to use a higher voltage, but what about the capacitance values? Can one go higher? Like from a 40 to a 50 or an 80 to a 100?

Thanks! I'm dying to get Laura back online
Bob
Old 12-06-2004, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bob A 47uf cap at 450 v should run about 2.00$ I get mine at radio equpment here in buffalo. As far as value figure around 5 % higher or lower no more. When you figure out were the caps are in the chassis look at the bottom of them see if goop is leaking out of them. Do them first. Do one cap at a time and check the picture on the set. That way if something goes wrong you know were to go to correct it. When you connect the new cap DO NOT leave old one connected into circuit. Good luck ED
Old 12-06-2004, 08:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its ok to use a higher capacitance (such as 100uf in place of 80uf). Try to keep voltages the same. Obviously dont use a 250volt cap in a 450 volt place.
Its not advisable to use a higher voltage cap in a lower voltage circuit (such as 450 volt cap in place of a 250) Reason being, when a capacitor is not used to its full potential, it has the tendancy to dry out sooner. Best way to describe it, the capacitor is not being saturated with enough voltage.

Some caps in the cans are rated at 475 volts, its ok to use a 450 volt in its place. Voltage doesnt reach that high. The 24MC32 (your chassis) only has B+ voltage of 350 at the highest. (B+boost is different and generally lot higher voltage around 800volts. That doesnt apply here but just wanted to let you know)

If I remember correct, your TV is a 24MC32?????

In that case, these are the filter caps:

these two caps should not be grounded directly to the chassis:
160uf@250v
160uf@250v

These next two caps are grounded to the chassis
80uf@475v
100uf@475v

Im reading numbers directly off a factory zenith schematic. Look at the power supply section of the schematic and you will notice the B+ voltage can be read directly off the terminals of the filter caps.

Measure voltage on the lug of the 100uf@475 with the set on, reading should be 250v
Measure voltage on the lug of the 80uf@475v with set on, reading should be 350v

Small voltage variation is no problem. Check voltages in DC mode and see what you come up with first. This way we can pin point where the trouble is. This is the best we can do w/o an oscilloscope handy.

Last edited by drh4683; 12-06-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

You can mail order caps from www.radiodaze.com or from Just radios (I can't remember if his address is justradios.com? should be a link around here, or on antiqueradios.com) Radio Daze offers quick service; Just Radios carries a wide range of values. Both have competitive pricing.

For the 160mfd caps, I use a 100mfd in parallel with a 68mfd. I haven't found any new 160mfd caps. I've recapped a similiar Zenith and it wasn't too bad; you may have to be a little creative with where you mount the new caps so that you have enough room under the chassis. If you don't have any terminal strips see if you can order some of those when you get the caps. These make it a lot easier than just having things "up in the air". I have another similiar Zenith that is ready to recap and I thought about doing it now and posting the photos for you, but I'm not sure if I'm good enough to set any kind of example!