Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have 4 working Betamax VCR's SL-8200 1977 Beta I/II Mono(could use some new belts), SL-2001 1982 portable Beta II/III Mono special effects, SL-100 SuperBeta Mono beta II/II no AV input, SL-HF750 SuperBeta Hifi Beta Is/II/III Special Effects 4 head.2 S-VHS decks both JVC, Sony EVO-5000 Hi-8, And a Quasar Great Time machine currently being restored once that happens I have some 1978 Superbowl tapes that i hope have commercials on them.

Panasonic NV-2030SD EIAJ 1/2" B&W, Sony AV-6800 EIAJ Color.

Pro formats Sony VO-5800 U-Matic, Sony PVW-2800 Betacam SP, Sony BVH-500A 1" portable, Panasonic AU-65H MII Editing recorder.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have 4 Beta decks, 2 working and 2 needing repair: Working: SL-HF360 SuperBeta hi-fi, SL-HFT7 SuperBeta hi-fi (the one with built-in amplifier)... Needing repair: SL-HF 2000 (won't successfully load a tape all the way) and my prize, a SL-HF 2100 which accepts tapes, FFs and REWs with all LED lights working fine but immediately stops whenever I try to PLAY a tape. :-(

Last edited by Tom Biddle; 04-02-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:36 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Biddle View Post
a SL-HF 2100 which accepts tapes, FFs and REWs with all LED lights working fine but immediately stops whenever I try to PLAY a tape. :-(
Odds are that is a bad surface mount capacitor on the capstan motor board. I have a Sony SuperBeta Non-hifi model that would randomly stop advancing the tape in play mode, then stop (though with the cover off one could 'help' it out of that condition before auto stop occurred). Replacing that surface mount cap fixed that problem, but I should have removed the rotor when I did the soldering....I ended up melting a spot on the plastic edge of the rotor which has magnetic servo control control track on it, and now the video has constant tracking noise from the motor running wrong, built in....I wish I could find another rotor, or a way to fix it....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Cassette Collector

Came home with a Sony SL-5400 from the thrift store today, a $10 investment. Pretty dirty on the outside, but I know better than to pass up an old VTR for cheap.

Opened it up, and it's only mildly clean inside. More importantly, it doesn't do much of anything - it lights up, turns on, and ejects, but doesn't play, FF, or rewind. Bad belts?

Oh - and it's a TANK. Really huge and heavy!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenham View Post
Were there any 50 HZ VTRs or VCRs that were made for 405 line British TV?
I'd like to find one of either flavour for a project I'm working on. Actually any 50Hz unit will do.

I'd like to try to run one on 48Hz power and record CBS sequential color on it. There were no video tape machines in 1951 when CBS color was the US Standard. Cliff
Power frequency is not related with the scanning frequency on VCRs. The motors use DC from the power supply, and their speed is controlled by the servo circuits. So the drum is going to keep running at 25 Hz no matter what the power frequency. Even if the CBS sync is similar to the EIA sync (I have to look it up) and the sync separator works OK, 24 Hz is 96% of 25 Hz, and I am not sure that the modern servos are designed to work with such a frequency offset. Even the cheapest cameras of the Betamax era had crystal-controlled sync generators, so the VCR designers would not expect the input vertical frequency to be ONE FULL Hz off.
Audiokarma