Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I recall from reading Wikipedia's LD article that the last LD player models also supported DVDs.
Well well.....
Old 09-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

There were three Laser Disc players that also played DVDs. Pioneer models DVL-700, DVL-909, and DVL-919. All would be considered very primitive DVD players by post-2000 standards (no progressive scan, etc.). None of those were equal to the better Laser Disc players, either.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

correct
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC the only difference between the 909 and the 919 was that the 919 supported both Laserdiscs encoded with DTS audio and DVD with DTS audio. You can still find 919's on ebay but be prepared to spend $300 or more for a nice one.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

As far as I know, all Laserdisc players with an optical toslink port, support DTS audio, even if the player came out before DTS even came out. I know my LD player supports DTS out of the jack even though it's not marked as being able to do so.
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2012, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one of the later Pioneer units that plays both DVD's and LD's and automatically flips the sides using a head that flips around. Still works fine all these years later.
It's got a neat drawer arrangement that slides out a small tray for the DVD's and CD's and a massive drawer for the LD's.
I have about 60 LD's that I didn't want to give up so the player made sense.
In most cases you cannot tell the difference between the average DVD and a laser disk and some DVD's are actually inferior due to shoddy mastering.
LD's were seen as a high end media and usually got the best attention on mastering.
Plus they produced great Videotape copies as there was no copy protection on LD's...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I spotted some laserdiscs Saturday and should have grabbed 'em: Ford Motor Company training videos. No sleeves, the seller has them hanging on the wall of his store from nails. I might have to get them next time I stop in.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

MIne has a problem I don't like. If I stop it, it stops, but, then, I can't re start, nor, reject the disk.
I have to just hit reject to get it to stop, and, reject....
I also don't like the odd smell it makes while playing. I think it's from the disks getting warm.
Other than that, It plays quite well.
Mine appears to be LCD, and, CD only. NOthing is said about being able to play DVD's.
I have the owner's mannual with it............
Got the cables from my friend a few weeks back. Sorry. For some reason, this system hasn't been informing me of posts.
Bill Cahill
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Banned

My brother is really into this format and I pick up titles for him whenever I find them. Yesterday I picked up Jim Henson's Dark Crystal for $1. Best score I've come across was last year at WFMU Record Fair I found the Japanese LD of Deep Purple @ Cal. Jam 1974 for $5. My brother, like myself is a huge DP fan.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a DVL--700 LD/DVD player. Love to use that thing in the shop for playing on the old TV sets. Don't know why, but it seems that a lot of the LDs I play don't have that irritating Macrovision to mess up the picture.

Depending on where you find them, LDs seem to be either really affordable or way overpriced. Sometimes they are thrown in with the LPs at various thrift stores.
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarTV View Post
Sometimes they are thrown in with the LPs at various thrift stores.
That was the case with the Dark Crystal LD I mentioned.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a cld-d604 which has served me well, except that a little component in the power supply shorted and took out the line fuse. It's a little part that looks like a diode, right across the primary. It is apparently some kind of surge protection device. Tried to find a replacement but could not. I just removed it and replaced the fuse, no problems since then.

I have a copy of "The First National Kidisc" which was a very early interactive laserdisc for children, unfortunately it's a laser rot victim. I also bought the Star Wars Episode 4-6 boxed set along with the Pioneer, really nice transfers and no 90s-era special effects added...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ah good old Laserdisc

have loved it since 1992 but did not get it until 2000
Currently have five pioneer players from 1992 to 1997

CLD 2950
CLD D750
CLD 1850
And the 1997 Karaoke machine

No elite players or hi vision muse players as of yet

what amazes me is how the lasers don't wear out on these players even after so many years. dvd players and Playstation 2 -3 lasers need tweaking eventually or replacing altogether

around 200 LD's in my collection including some signature collection box sets, T2 gold box, star wars special ed box, Jaws signature big box and DTS versions of Con Air and Volcano
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think the system has so much tolerance for errors and aging components that they keep going and going.

My MDP555 is still running, save for a stupid little 2" belt used to pull the tray in and out.

With regards to poorly mastered DVDs, the original release of 2001 A Space Odyssey looks so bad that I can't believe they didn't catch the issues in mastering and authoring. The CAV discs I have of this on the other hand look spectacular, especially on a PVM series monitor.

I would have thought they would have been trying to impress the crap out of the newly invested, but the video is marred by ringing in the luminance channel that really shows on a modern HDTV or pc. Heck, I can see it on a 14" BPC.

In the words of Gordon Ramsay: "Absolute F*&%ing Rubbish"
Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Ich. Gordon Ramsey. The kitchen lunatic.......

The only thing I don't like on mine is the laser must run awfully hot. After playing, and, during playing, it makes such a strong bad odor that only fades away.
Not like electrical burning. More like very hot plastic.
Bill Cahill
Audiokarma