Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > International Vintage Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Not mine, but very interesting set

Never knew this existed until now - Invictus was the first company to manufacture TVs in Brazil ( 1952 ) and I have a few sets made by them but this model is the first time I see. Must be around 1968-1970. They stopped making TVs in 1972, and survived a few more years making car radios. TV is working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-XuHL6wyE
Old 07-24-2021, 05:18 AM
I love old stuff

What other brands manufactured tv in Brazil?
Old 07-24-2021, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

At the heyday of TV manufacturing in the late 50's and the 1960's we had some 60 companies making TVs, maybe more. Most were very small business who bought parts from big companies and assembled TVs of their own circuit design ( sometimes those circuit designs were simply pirated from big manufacturers, it was easy to get away with such a stunt in those days ).

Some of the brands I can recall: Invictus, Semp, Windsor, Admiral, Indústrias Reunidas Max Wolfson ( manufactured American Emerson TVs under license ), Colorado, Standard Electric ( subsidiary of the American company ITT ), Teleunião, Empire, General Electric, Philco, Philips, Aurora, ABC, Zenith ( in the 1960's and early 70's ), Bomarc, Telefunken, and the list goes on and on... it was an interesting mix of Brazilian, American and European brands.

Most of those were crushed with the arrival of color TV in 1972. With the exception of Semp ( who in 1977 sold part of it's shares to Toshiba ) the Brazilian brands all but vanished. As for the American brands the only one I can recall that survived thru the 1980's and beyond was Philco ( who became Philco - Ford ). Color TV was very good for European and Japanese brands ( those arrived here in the 70's ). Well, at least in the 1980's and 1990's the TVs were still really manufactured here. Now... they are only assembled with parts coming from China. So we can say that we really went backwards. Unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:16 PM
I love old stuff

But the color tv caught up so fast in Brazil that brands that manufactured or assambled only black and white sets gone up so fast?
I asked you about a Brazilian movie in the past. This is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yEGgdiReyo
It was put in cinemas during Ceauşescu's time... that's why probably they brodacsted it on the state television in the '90's.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

These brands tried to compete making color TVs and couldn't build them in the same scale as their foreigner competitors.

I do not know all the details of what happened, but the government gave incentives and benefits that favoured the foreign companies ( some of them like Telefunken were the ones that created the Brazilian color PAL-M system anyway ) while deniyng the same to the native brands. Keep in mind that Brazil in the early 70's was ruled by a corrupt right - wing military dictatorship.

And dictatorship was in a hurry to give color TV to the country as soon as possible. It was all part of the short-lived economic "Brazilian Miracle" that lasted for so little ( it started in 1968 and ended with the Oil Crisis of 1973 ). Color TV was important to the regime for propaganda purposes.

Another blow on native manufacturing TV business was around this period, when the government moved the electronic industries to the Manaus Free Trade Zone in the state of Amazonas, on the far-North of the country. Prior to this the factories were - mostly - in the state of São Paulo, on the Southeast. The native brands didn't have the resources to make the move, while for the European and Japanese this was not a problem.
Audiokarma
Old 08-05-2021, 07:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

In Spain at least there was a lot of political dirty tricks going on in the background. Spain actually chose SECAM as their color system, then in 1969 there was a sudden switch to PAL, Germany gave a lot of aid to the Spanish government, and Thomson was sold General Eléctrica Española for next to nothing, as a consolation prize. Within a year all of the small Spanish companies who had been building TVs, either their own (pirated) designs or under license, just disappeared. Philco, Emerson, Sylvania, GE(E), Inter, Koster, and a bunch others. The only one remaining was Zenith, who adapted their NTSC sets and sold them here through the mid 1980s. Other than those, you had to buy a German or Dutch set.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds similar to what happened here.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:13 PM
I love old stuff

German and "Philips" sets, to be honest where very good set. Good performance, some lasted even 20 years or more.
But beats me how Brazil, a country that need growth destroyed it's own brands. Brazil, like Romania haves a lot of ponetial... but both countries suffer from bad ruling and "i don't care" poeple.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can't quite point out what are the roots of the problems of Romania, but Brazil just started wrong since when the Portuguese set foot here in 1500. They were not like the settlers of the Mayflower in America, who wanted to build a new home free from the persecutions they suffered in England. The Portuguese just wanted to take as many riches they could and go back to Portugal. The whole colonial History of Brazil was like that. Not at all different from the colonial History of the rest of Latin America. This created a very corrupt culture, that is really difficult to get rid of.

We had a few good moments during the 20th Century, most of those in the 1950's but those were short-lived dreams.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:48 AM
I love old stuff

And you get that stupid president now.
Argentine and Chile are doing a little bit better.

In Romania, bad thing are in genetic it seems. But they where exagerated by the Phanariote rule. During the Phanariote period, prince rulers (the title king was only introduced in 1881) of Wallachia and Moldoavia (small Romania appeared in 1859) had to pay money to the Ottomans to rule. And you can guess what that means. Not all where bad guys, some did reforms, wanted to improve thing, but such regime creats a lot of corruption.
And in communism in the '50's we got one of the wort communist terrors (plus only at the end of the decade some goods becamaed more avaible) and in the '80's we got nasty again. Not so much terror, but sometimes even black and white (not colour) tv sets couldn't be found. You had to pay bribe sometimes even to get domestic made products...
The Romanian brand created after 1989 in tv manufacturing where killed by incompetence or cheap import.
Audiokarma
Old 08-06-2021, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Argentina and Chile have better educational systems, their local peoples tend to be a bit more vigilant over those who are in power. A complete madmen like the current president of Brazil would not get elected in those countries.

As for local brands of TVs, did any survived somewhere in the world? I get the impression that China and South Korea killed almost all of them. Even the might Philips is out of the TV manufacturing business now ( they licensed the use of their name to some other company ).
Old 08-06-2021, 05:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video View Post
Argentina and Chile have better educational systems, their local peoples tend to be a bit more vigilant over those who are in power. A complete madmen like the current president of Brazil would not get elected in those countries.

As for local brands of TVs, did any survived somewhere in the world? I get the impression that China and South Korea killed almost all of them. Even the might Philips is out of the TV manufacturing business now ( they licensed the use of their name to some other company ).
Philips is out of everything except medical equipment (MRI, X-ray, EKG, medical cloud AI, etc) and medical personal hygiene (electric shavers and electric toothbrushes, etc) ...when I was working for their MRI anatomy coils division I read about how they had gotten out of lighting and and we're in the process of spinning their laundry/kitchen appliances division off into it's own independent company... Even before they axed the facility I was working at and fired most of their employees (myself included) their woke green agendas and intention to dump non-medical divisions disturbed me. A large company needs to stay diversified. If someone else (or a group of companies collectively) creams them at medical and steals all their market share then they are finished...If they still had lighting and consumer appliances/electronics even if that isn't making a killing it will give them revenue to survive on if medical gets in trouble.

I think Vizio or some other TV makers is nominally American owned and has manufacturing facilities here...how much of it is actually made in America from American materials is questionable.

Zenith supposedly still exists in some broadcast equipment manufacturing capacity (but handed their consumer electronics off to LG).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 08-06-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Zenith is a wholly owned subsidiary of LG. They exist as a small research lab and holder of the Zenith patents for digital TV broadcasting.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

To me personnaly it is sad to see Philips out. I have a fondness for the brand since I have a lot of TVs and a radio-phono combo made by them, not to mention this cool lamp sign from the 50's ( it is atop a Philco TV, lol ):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (49.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-07-2021, 01:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Video View Post
I can't quite point out what are the roots of the problems of Romania, but Brazil just started wrong since when the Portuguese set foot here in 1500.
I've just been reading "A death in Brazil" by Peter Robb.Explains the situation very well.
https://books.google.pt/books/about/...on&redir_esc=y
Only goes up to about 20 years ago so
the latest "happenings" are not mentioned.
Audiokarma