Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2022, 09:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
I have a Heathkit High Voltage Power Supply, IP-17 which I have totally restored. It has voltage and current meters so it would be easy to do.

I have a working T100 that came up on all original electrolytic capacitors. But I have not turned it on for about 8-10 years though. It was rather easy to get going.
8 to 10 years off, if the capacitors were previously good, I dont think will be a problem. I think it is a problem when it has been off for 40 or more years with a sudden power up..

If you use the DC HV power supply across the B plus line to reform the capacitors, I will be interested in your results.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

The set has now been running faultlessly since July 2020. That is two and a half years still running on the original electrolytics. Still no sign of failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221208_171315.jpg (52.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20221208_171319.jpg (40.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-09-2022, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Great to see this update and you have given me an incentive. I have an RCA 630TS that is in excellent physical condition and has all of the parts. The GE CRT, no doubt a replacement, tests NOS. I will start with replacing the paper capacitors in the sweep sections and audio and see how the electrolytic capacitors reform. Carefully, slowly! Thanks.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

It has now been three years since I resuscitated this set. Recall all of the original electrolytics except for a replaced 40uFd axial lead unit are original. Most of the paper dielcetric capacitors were changed. I left a few units which were bypassed by resistors less than 100Kohm. And a few resistors which I found drifted when it affected performance. I then decided to run the set regularly and report from time to time on it's performance over the years. It is well past 1500 hours.

The set has developed two problems:
1. The original KRK2 tuner fine tuning has a bad back lash which make it difficult to fine tune. I believe it has to do with the slop in the shafte which I have to address. The second is a horizontal sync issue which causes the horiztal oscilaator phase to shift briefly and jump back. It is very momemtary and occurs rarely. Have no idea what it may be and keeping an eye on it.

But this set has been incredibly reliable and delivers a very good picture for a set which is 76 years old. Here are a few snapshots from over the air CHCH TV channel 11 this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I Love Lucy 1.jpg (121.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg I Love Lucy 2.jpg (129.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg I Love Lucy 3.jpg (141.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-20-2023, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Latest update on the 721TCS.

From the original 2020 restoration:

All the original can electrolytics are still fine with no problem That makes them 76 years old!

I left many of the original wax capacitors which pose no threat due to leakage. The ones I left are shunted by resistances 1M ohm or less and pose no DC threat.

Only two resistors changed asthey affected performance (horizonal plate resistor and video amp plate resistor.

An axial lead 40uF capacitor changed due to leakage.

Recent service:

KRK2 tuner fine tuning problem - slop due to wear in the brass tuning wand worn making it hard to tune for best sound (recall this is a split sound set). I made a new brass wand and attached it to the original tuning shaft disc. The repair fixed perfectly the fine tuning issue.

Horizontal jumping. the picture would jitter horizontally due to what appearred to be a time constant change in the circuit. Changed 6SN7 oscillator tube which fixed the problem.

Set remains working fine after regular 3 1/2 years use on all original electrolytic capacitors.

Here is a screen shot from this morning with the signal from an over the air signal via an ATSC set top box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 721TS_231120a.jpg (143.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Penthode; 11-20-2023 at 06:43 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-20-2023, 12:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Here is a screen shot from this morning with the signal from an over the air signal via an ATSC set top box.
Beautiful!
Old 11-21-2023, 07:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
Latest update on the 721TCS.

From the original 2020 restoration:

All the original can electrolytics are still fine with no problem That makes them 76 years old!
Interesting.

I recently restored (But did not align) my 630TS and found that half of the original electrolytic capacitors tested good (out of circuit) for leakage; the other half were no good. I restuffed the bad ones and reconnected those testing good. I could see that those which tested good were a different manufacturer (or design or whatever, just different). Sure made things easier.

I guess they may be from the same era/manufacturer?
Old 11-21-2023, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvflyer View Post
Interesting.

I recently restored (But did not align) my 630TS and found that half of the original electrolytic capacitors tested good (out of circuit) for leakage; the other half were no good. I restuffed the bad ones and reconnected those testing good. I could see that those which tested good were a different manufacturer (or design or whatever, just different). Sure made things easier.

I guess they may be from the same era/manufacturer?
The capacitors in this 721TS initially looked bad. But the set had been stored away and left dormant for 55 years when I bought it. I slowly reformed the capacitors over the course of four days. The key is to limit the current to just under 10mA and slowly bring up the voltage until it meets or slightly exceeds the maximum rated voltage. I would then let it sit at the maximum voltage for a few hours and notice the current continue to drop until it was no more than 200uA at maximum voltage. All of the capacitors came back that way.

However, I have a Canadian market RCA CTC5 color TV. The set was manufactured in Camden NJ and in Montreal it was modified for 25Hz power. The modification included replacing the power transformer on the main chassis with a 25 Hz filament only transformer and then adding a separate small additional chassis with a massive B supply transformer, an additional filter chole plus two Canadian mad Sprague 80uF 500v electrolytic capacitors. The main chassis had Camden installed Mallory capacitors.

When I restored the set in 2014, the Mallory capacitors reformed dielectrics were very low leakage 100uA or less. The Sprague's were close to 1mA leakage at 500v. I left them in and 8 years later one shorted and destroyed a pair of 5U4 rectifiers. I felt at the time the Sprague's were marginal. But the Malloys remain fine.