Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

A '48 GE with a lot of plaskon

I found this post-war AA5 1948 GE model 115W at a local antiques mall. Normally it's a little too late for my tastes, but the thing is the set is truly NOS inside and out and the solid plaskon version is a bit uncommon. For a menial outlay I had to get it. The cream-colored bold cabinet with the caramel knobs, brass accents, and bright gold perforated inset grill give it a very classy post-war modern look. The only let down for me is they eliminated the dial lamp on this model. The absolute virgin chassis is on the bench now getting a recap. Looking forward to hearing how this one performs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1948 GE 115X.jpg (53.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Celt; 05-07-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:11 AM
The Resident Brony

Noice.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Peanut Head

Very cool. My dad's mother had one very similar to that.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice set. If it were me, and I wanted the dial light even if it wasn't authentic, I'd do a totally-reversible mod to add one. Unless you have OEM style light/mount from another set, I'd probably do it with LEDs to keep the temps down, volts low, etc. If you make it removable without a trace, I'd see it as 'no harm, no foul'.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
Nice set. If it were me, and I wanted the dial light even if it wasn't authentic, I'd do a totally-reversible mod to add one. Unless you have OEM style light/mount from another set, I'd probably do it with LEDs to keep the temps down, volts low, etc. If you make it removable without a trace, I'd see it as 'no harm, no foul'.
Thanks for all the nice comments. It is an elegant, modern (for the times) set with nice warm tones. I thought of the same thing Chip. My local repairman has it on the bench and I'm tempted to have him do just that. It would need two - one on either side. I'll mention the idea to him.
Audiokarma
Old 05-07-2018, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Go for it. DC only though, no switching power supplies, etc. to make sure it's actually usable when finished... And diffusion will be your friend, optically. Search through audiokarma.org for stories of LED dial light retrofits, with regard to color temperature, diffusion, filtering, etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
I found this post-war AA5 1948 GE model 115W at a local antiques mall. Normally it's a little too late for my tastes, but the thing is the set is truly NOS inside and out and the solid plaskon version is a bit uncommon. For a menial outlay I had to get it. The cream-colored bold cabinet with the caramel knobs, brass accents, and bright gold perforated inset grill give it a very classy post-war modern look. The only let down for me is they eliminated the dial lamp on this model. The absolute virgin chassis is on the bench now getting a recap. Looking forward to hearing how this one performs.

The model is listed in Nostalgia Air. The models, 114 & 115 never had a dial light.
It's a higher-end model and it seems strange, but GE did some strange things at times.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The model is listed in Nostalgia Air. The models, 114 & 115 never had a dial light.
It's a higher-end model and it seems strange, but GE did some strange things at times.
Other than an early battery set, a nice radio playing without the nice glow of a dial lamp just seems wrong.