Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM
<-- sucker for old sets.

Someone save this zenith tabletop roundie!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cool-Vintage-Zen...=1218733900076

I'm really looking for one of these, but its just a little far. Good opening bid too!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Mark

I pointed this set out to oldstuff78 {Chris} because the one he bought was beyond what it was worth for the repairs, he's trying to get this one. I hope he gets it because of all the bs he's been through on the other one. I am going to part out the one he had. It's in sadder shape than we all expected.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
que trabaja pierde tiempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdylon View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cool-Vintage-Zen...=1218733900076

I'm really looking for one of these, but its just a little far. Good opening bid too!

magnificent TV set, a great pity that import it in Italy is a big problem. mythical the cooling fan on the back of your TV SET

Last edited by firenzeprima; 03-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

My first roundie was a Zenith identical to this one except it had legs and had bass and treble controls just above the control door. I had it for years and it put out a fantastic picture. It finally gave up the ghost when the flyback bit the dust and at the time they werent available anywhere (pre-internet days) around here. I still kick myself for getting rid of it. Dont let the plain jane cabinet fool you as it was still Zenith quality from top to bottom. These have a metal frame that the safety glass and crt sit down into. They were separated by a rubber gasket so no green halo or cataracts and cleaning was easy. Although i prefer the frosted safety glass, this set-up made more sense. I hope someone here gets it so we can hear about it later.
-Tony
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 PM
AK Member

I'm going to try to bid on the set, but the seller posted my question on the ad and now someone else has found out the shipping set up and is going after it too.

If I get it, that's fine, but if not, I hope it goes to a good home.
Audiokarma
Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would strongly advise against UPS shipping this TV (or anything that you want to arrive in one piece). Its worth the extra money to have someone get it to you safely via uship.com.
Interesting that someone put a cooling fan on back. I would remove that thing if I got the set. You dont need to worry about heat problems in zeniths. That fan can't be too old, was probalby put on in the last 15 years Id guess. This is a very rare model too. I say this because it appears that the VHF tuner has UHF tuning strips as I see UHF terminals on back, but it only has a VHF tuner. Ive been wanting to see a UHF channel strip zenith for the longest time. I figured it was an option that nobody ever wanted. Then again, it might not have the strips. If you look closely at the back you can see "UHF STRIPS" and there are no terminals in that spot. the tabs could have been placed in the wrong spot by the shop that but them in. Im curious if the channel indicator has different channel tabs for the UHF freq's as well. Has anyone ever seen UHF strips in any kind of zenith set? Very neat set though.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

wow! Right in my back yard. My wife would kill me
Old 08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
AK Member

I'm surprised how good of shape it is in. Working too. That cooling fan looks like one from a PC.

I saw that someone has already placed a bid on it. It will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

The seller suggested UPS as a shipper, but I can't stand them. They have damaged several things of mine over the years and it's always looks like it's been up a stove pipe when it arrives......if it gets here in one piece.

Doug, don't you have a table model similar to this on your site, but a different color ?
Old 08-15-2008, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Doug, I have both an Emerson and a Philco with UHF strips, but not a Zenith (as far as I know)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Doug, my Zenith had the uhf strips in it. They were just a shade shorter but otherwise looked like the vhf strips. They were also a different color. They had the fine tuning cores on them too like the vhf strips but only had very little adjusting range compared to the vhf ones. Numbers were stamped on the strips for whatever frequency you had installed. Mine had the matching numbers installed into the dial but were of a different font and smaller than the vhf numbers.
-Tony
Audiokarma
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
AK Member

I looked at my 1965 Zenith model brochure and this set is in it. This is what it says.

The Newton * 6306YU
Compact styled table television in textured Ebony color metal cabinet 5 x 3. Zenith quality speaker. Tone Control. VHF Spotlite Panel. Cabinet size: 24 1/2 high, 30 wide, 19 5/8 deep.

It also say's it is a space command, but this one on ebay is not.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
I would strongly advise against UPS shipping this TV (or anything that you want to arrive in one piece). Its worth the extra money to have someone get it to you safely via uship.com.
Interesting that someone put a cooling fan on back. I would remove that thing if I got the set. You dont need to worry about heat problems in zeniths. That fan can't be too old, was probalby put on in the last 15 years Id guess. This is a very rare model too. I say this because it appears that the VHF tuner has UHF tuning strips as I see UHF terminals on back, but it only has a VHF tuner. Ive been wanting to see a UHF channel strip zenith for the longest time. I figured it was an option that nobody ever wanted. Then again, it might not have the strips. If you look closely at the back you can see "UHF STRIPS" and there are no terminals in that spot. the tabs could have been placed in the wrong spot by the shop that but them in. Im curious if the channel indicator has different channel tabs for the UHF freq's as well. Has anyone ever seen UHF strips in any kind of zenith set? Very neat set though.
you are not the first person who complains of service UPS. the last who complained suggested sending only cubic iron with UPS.
Clearly, the fan was mounted then, because of the effect electric stove, TV SET
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
zenith mad

Zenith roundies in Florence

Hello Firenzeprima. do you perhaps know we had in florence the official Zenith importer for italy. I visited him several times and up to two/three years ago an entire warehouse in via Jacopo da Diacceto full of those early Zenith color tvs most of them still in their original boxes and never sold! I bought several tvs from this man. Unfortunately last time I spoke to this man he told me the warehouse was emptied and then sold and all gone to the dump...
I was lucky enough to save some of these pieces of tv history but not so much as compared to everything that got trashed
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM

in Florence there was the "Electronics Montagni Mauro, in viale cadorna. assemblava that the Zenith TV for Italy, a genuine small factory with a canteen inside. in the benches had found the shop rla retail in its name. This deposit Street jacopo from diacceto are aware of only now. but it was not the case for the customs of Florence? Montagni still had some TV SET to assemble, old inventories, but after the overflowing of the river mugnone went all lost .'ll Let you know why you say I worked for some years,