Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Banned

42" Hewlett Packard Plasma TV powers up but doesn't give a picture

Hello Everyone today I bought off the salvage pile at work a 42" Hewlett Packard Plasma HDTV Model Number PL4260N that when I got it home to try it out it would power up like its supposed to except for it wouldn't give a picture. I googled the symptoms and supposedly the Y-Sustain Board or the Z-sustain board was possibly the problem with one person reporting that his TV was brought back to life when he simply replaced the 4A 250V Ceramic fuses in the Y-Sustain Board (which when I tested the fuses on my Y-Sustain Board one of the fuses tested good yet and one of them tested bad using a resistance test) so I went to radio shack to see if they had the fuses I needed and all they had were the glass fuses and no ceramic fuses (apparently this TV will only power up if you have 4A 250V Ceramic Fuses in the circuit, anything else and it refuses to power up) anyways so I check the local Ace Hardware and all they had were the large fuses and not the smaller fuses in the 4A 250V Ceramic type, so I checked out Menard's and they didn't have anything either, and I'm running out of places to source these fuses because it seems that Mouser, and digi-key doesn't carry them either (the original fuse was made by LittelFuse and I checked their website and they still make the fuses) but for some reason no body sells them...

Any information about this TV and this issue or where I might source some fuses for this TV would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Levi
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
If it has an LG panel, there are a pair of voltage regulator ICs under two large heat sinks which tend to fail Check the resistance between both sides of the blown fuse and chassis ground. If it's low, then you probably have a shorted IC.

You can replace the IC, but it's a difficult job due to the heavy circuit board traces. I've also had mixed luck getting good replacement ICs. I would recommend replacing the whole board if you can find one.
Thanks, Although when I looked at the panel (although I wasn't looking for it though either) it didn't seem like it said anything about LG on it, so maybe it is just a bad fuse? Or I guess I could just search on ebay and see if I can find that Y-Sustain Board and see if I can a replacement for cheap enough.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

It's probably an LG PDP42X3 panel. The fuse blows when the IPM shorts - never seen one with a blown fuse that didn't have a shorted IPM. Don't pay too much for a replacement board - they're a $100 (sometimes less) set here.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:38 AM
"Book em Dano!"

If your going to replace the chips yourself, buy them from Coppell TV. His stuff always works when I buy from him. There is also a possibility that once you get a chip or board replaced that you have a worn out panel. There will be lots of colored dots that you cannot adjust away. Coppell TV can also repair the board for you as long as no one has worked on it previously. As far as fuses go yes you can use glass fuses. I'm not sure where that nonsense about it only powering it up with ceramic ones. Thats a bunch of BS. The replacement IPM's come with glass fuses and work just fine
Audiokarma
Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

I second all that has been said above. When I was in the repair business, I also sent my LG YSUS boards to Bobby over at Coppell TV. He's a good guy and he stands behind his stuff. For the price of the ICs and the time it takes to replace them, it was cheaper for me just to have him do it, and it's guaranteed to work.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
If your going to replace the chips yourself, buy them from Coppell TV. His stuff always works when I buy from him. There is also a possibility that once you get a chip or board replaced that you have a worn out panel. There will be lots of colored dots that you cannot adjust away. Coppell TV can also repair the board for you as long as no one has worked on it previously. As far as fuses go yes you can use glass fuses. I'm not sure where that nonsense about it only powering it up with ceramic ones. Thats a bunch of BS. The replacement IPM's come with glass fuses and work just fine
Well as far as the glass fuses not working in this set goes, that was my observation not what someone told me, because I got some fuses from Radio Shack and installed those fuses into the back of the unit and tried to power it on, I would hear the relay kick in like its supposed to when you first plug it in and you have 2 blue lights lighting up on the main board on the back of the TV but then after about a minute the relay would kick out and the second blue light on the main board (the blue light furthest away from the power plug) would then shut off and then the power button won't respond to power the TV on, but when I had the original ceramic fuses installed (even the blown one) the TV would work just like its supposed minus the picture. So I don't know what the deal is with the TV and why it seems to want to prefer the ceramic fuses in the circuit over the glass ones in order for it to power up.

Anyways where abouts on the Y-Sustain Board is the Voltage Regulator ICs? I'm wodering because I'm pretty confident in my soldering/repair skills that I think I could probably to the repair myself, and save myself some money.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
It's probably an LG PDP42X3 panel. The fuse blows when the IPM shorts - never seen one with a blown fuse that didn't have a shorted IPM. Don't pay too much for a replacement board - they're a $100 (sometimes less) set here.
When you say "they're a $100 (sometimes less) set here" are you referring to the resale value of the TV itself? If so I think I would rather do the repair work myself and save me some money so I could still make a little money off the set if and when I get it going again, as I've only got about $4 into the set currently and that was the price I paid to buy the TV off of salvage at work (Goodwill), plus the fuses which were only a couple of bucks.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.ido View Post
Well currently on epay there are some replacement boards up for sale on there but they want over $50 for them but free shipping, which my mom would have a cow if I were to pay over $50 for a part to get an old Plasma TV going that I might be lucky to get $100 out of once its going, and the DIY Repair kit isn't much cheaper. I thought this would be a pretty simple and cheap repair and an easy flip but its turning out that I may have bitten off a bit more than I could chew, if the repair kits would of been say around $20 or so, I could of easily justified that expenditure to my mom, but since the repair kits is nearly $50 I can't as easily justify that expenditure to my mom even if I can still possibly make $50 off the unit reselling it...

Last edited by Captainclock; 06-14-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Banned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-42PC3D-UD...0AAOSwuhhXVZKR

Here's an ebay listing for a functioning YSustain Board that came out of a TV with a busted screen, and was pulled and tested in a functioning unit and it does work, but they want $57 for it and free shipping which like I said my mom would have a fit if I spent this much on a part for a Plasma TV that I'd be lucky to make $30-$40 bucks off of once I got it going and sold it, but of course that being said I guess its not really my mom's business how I choose to make money and $40 is still quite a large profit margin considering that some of the other stuff I've fixed up and sold in the past (mainly old tube powered radios and record players) only had a $10 profit margin for me.
Audiokarma
Old 06-14-2016, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's because reinstalling the original blown fuse is like having no fuse in it at all. A blown fuse is an open circuit. The good glass fuse is probably causing the set to shut down as soon as it detects the overload from the shorted board.

Don't attempt to replace the IC unless you have excellent soldering skills and the right equipment. You won't be able to do it with a Radio Shack soldering iron and some solder wick. Even with a Weller temperature controlled station and desoldering station, it was quite difficult to removed the old part and clean out the holes without damaging the board. It's a heavy multi layer board with plated through holes and thick traces that suck away a LOT of heat.

People are also right about a worn out panel being a real risk. The last one of these I repaired ended up having a worn out panel. There's no way to tell until you get it working.
Well like I said there is a functioning board up for sale on eBay right now for $57 and free shipping, which I could attempt to get that board on thursday when I get paid if its still available that is, although I'll have to worry about my mom trying to question me about buying a $57 part for a 10 year old Plasma TV that I may or may not be able to sell for $100 and make a little over $40 off of it, if I can sell it. So why would the screen be bad on this thing already? I've dealt with plenty of regular non-plasma type LCD TVs that are over 10 years old and are still working just fine with the original screen assembly, so what makes a plasma screen assembly different from an LCD screen assembly that it would have such a short lifespan?
Old 06-14-2016, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most plasma screens seem to hold up well, but LG screens from this time period often don't. Not every one I've seen has been bad, but a lot are. The problem is that the defect is subtle enough that people often keep using them until something else fails.

I've personally dealt with 3 sets like this. A 50" Vizio, a 42" hp, and a 42" Toshiba. The hp was the only one that was good. The other two had the dreaded red speckles. If the panel is bad, you can at least sell the boards since you'll know they're good.
Well My Plasma is a HP just one of the ones you dealt with was and you said that the HP you dealt with still had a good screen which with that in mind, I would tend to lean towards mine more than likely being good yet as well. So like I said on Thursday when I get paid I'll see about getting that board ordered and installed in the TV, and if it works I'll already have a buyer for it which will be my housemate, but as to whether or not he'll want to pay $100 for the thing... well that's another thing, and his loss, considering this is a 42" set and would be perfect for his video games, but if he wouldn't be willing to pay the price for it then like I said its his loss, and I'll just find someone else to buy it who will appreciate the set.

By the way, what causes the voltage regulator chips to go bad on these Y-Sustain boards? And wouldn't a functioning used Y-Sustain board eventually fail the same way as the original one in my unit did eventually (even though it clearly hasn't yet)?
Old 06-14-2016, 08:14 PM
"Book em Dano!"

I've had used boards that failed shortly after installation. I have also gotten boards from ebay that said they were tested and arrived with a blown fuse. And some boards will work for years. They fail because they are run at their limits and get very hot, Best not to try a chip replacement yourself the first time. I took me awhile to get it down without damage. It's not as straight forward as you may think. A bad or partially shorted screen of buffers on the verge of failure can also cause boards to fail. LG made buffers hold up better than Samsung buffers by far. Samsung buffers usually fail first and take out the Y-sus and then it becomes very expensive very fast.
IPM's usually fail with a large bang that immediately blows the fuse but the set will generally stay running. Usually only one goes bad but sometimes both go bad.
Audiokarma