Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recall seeing color in the early 50s. My recollection is that the set looked like the Zenith field sequential set, but since I was born in 1943 and I would have been only 7 at the time of field sequential I think it is unlikely that my memory is correct. It is more likely that it was one of the 15 inch NTSC sets in 1954.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Administrator

The first color TV I can remember is watching The Brady Bunch at my Sisters house around 1969 or 70, the first movie I saw on TV in color would be The Poseidon Adventure (in it's TV Debut) at a friends house.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:09 PM
60s Throwback

My parents friends had a 1965/66 Magnavox roundie color tv/stereo combo, in a laquered black Oriental style cabinet. I remember watching "Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve" on that set from 1971/72 until 1982. We didn't get our own color tv until 1974. It was a 19" Magnavox table model.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Motorola Minion

I was 3 and visiting my Grandparents in Ft Lauderdale in 1966, they had a new Zenith with a rectangular CRT. when you turned it off, it looked like a kaleidoscope I couldn't wait for my cartoons the next morning on WTVJ-4. That Zenith made it to 1974 when my Grandpa gutted the Italian Provincial cabinet to make a bookcase.
It was replaced with one of the last Hybrids Zenith made before the CCII came out. I suspect the humidity got the best of it in the end as the failure was described as "snap-crackle-pop"

Meanwhile, up in Delray Beach, my Aunt had just gotten the big glorious Magnavox with the grand Tambour doors and excellent sound.
I liked my Gp's Zenith picture better as years went by. That Mag made the move to a farmhouse in Pa in 1969, still sounding great it lasted until a CCII replaced it in 1976. Unfortunately, I was tasked with gutting that Mag for another bookcase

Then it was back home up north and watch the NBC peacock mockingly strut on the BW Motorola (which I still have BTW) until the 1971 23V Zenith arrived one day..and I still have that too!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM
THE A-1 WIRELESS MAN

My parents bought their first color set in the mid-sixties, and I remember they bought it because Lawrence Welk was going to do a color broadcast from Hawaii, and mom wanted to see Hawaii in color.. The neatest thing was watching the peacock on NBC, they would broadcast in black and white and then it would magically turn into color simply magical watching that when you are like 5 or 6. They had that set clear up until the eighties when it finally gave up the ghost it was a zenith.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:47 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

My first Color I watched was in 1965, one year old toddler with an infected hip socket and bursa. 1963 Zenith Roundie leftover. Bonanza on WATE 6. Then followed WBIR-TV 10 (CBS) and WTVK 26 (ABC) from Knoxville, TN. By 1968, I had my own Magnavox roundie color combo (also had external 8 track) and a 1965 leftover. Same bum hip, Magnavox dealer owner wondering where Kent was, mom and grandmother explained. Could not bear weight. Mrs. Hitch came and visited. Next day TOTL Magnavox Stereo Theater was delivered, installed in my bedroom with better antenna. had over 100 new LP discs, 200 45 singles, and 50 new Stereo 8 tracks to keep me from going bonkers. And I got more each week delivered to me. Had FM and TV, was entertained and grinned. The Hitch family and i were friends. They kept me focused on walking, on being my best, and keeping motivated. We stayed close. And me being 4 years old and a gimpy music and life loving preemie kiddo. They, my mother and grandmother, and their fiercelessness belief in me, made me who I am today. I never forget those who helped me along.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 07-15-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:33 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

For you young guys, back in the day there were no other distractions, no computers, no video games, no cell phones, but we did have tv. And for most of us who were kids we really didn't pay any attention to technology. But if per chance you were lucky enough to be somewhere that had a color tv and a color show on, your world suddenly changed. From that time in the late 50's I was hell bent to get one of my own and in 1962 I did.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

The first color set I remember was my aunt's RCA Vista Color roundie. I was born in 1966 so I probably saw it from the time I was 1 on up. We did not get our first color set until 1971, a Zenith Chromacolor. BTW, I was talking to a fellow co-worker about the days gone by we remember and back then, he said, "TV was the internet of the day."