Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:43 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

Utah Scientific AVS1B Matrix

Hi
I have one of these over here in the UK, it does still work, I fixed a s/c tant. today in the output buffer amp! However I have a question.

These Matrices were in use in the 1990s, not many in the UK but there must have been a lot installed in the States. Mine is quite small 40x20 and it has two master control cards, main and reserve one is a PL-160 and the other a later PL-320. They are quite similar and do work together, the '320 able to control a much bigger matrix. They have 6502 micros in them.

Now you can re-programme the selection stations and a lot of other things via a serial terminal. All this works fine with the 320 card, but I can't get past the welcome page on the PL-160 control card.

The welcome page says "inactive" and according to the handbook you are meant to enter the password at this point which I don't have. I would really like to have access to this spare card.

Has anyone worked on these and maybe can offer advice. I have tried a number of likely options, 111 000, 123 etc. there is a number scratched on the card but this does not work either.??

Regards

Brian www.tvcameramuseum.org

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum
Old 07-27-2020, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is it supposed to be only three digits? Shouldn't take too long, or too many beers to discover what it is.

There may also be a 'reset' or factory back door available via the service manual, if you can find one. Pretty sure the mfg. would tell you if there is one, since the possibility of physical access to a composite video matrix causing an uproar are pretty slim these days.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:06 PM
TV Camera Museum Curator

I don't know how many digits are in the password? It could even be alphanumeric! I do have the handbook but it is no help re lost password.

I too think there should be a backdoor master password sort of thing.

I was hoping the number on the card would work and I did wonder if I had missed something as to how to enter it??

regards

Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum