Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I started 1st grade in September, 1983 and my school still had several of those 23" tube type RCA Mural TV's with all the jacks on the back. All program material was on U-Matic videotapes (machines were Sony). They finally got a VHS machine in '87 and we thought we were big time! All of this equipment was housed on roll around metal carts. Then, around '89; all the rooms were outfitted with 20" Magnavox sets connected to an elaborate CCTV system. I think the Magnavox sets are still in use. BTW, we also had a bunch of those old tube type Califone record players. I talked to a friend of mine that works for the school district and all that stuff was trashed years ago, according to him. It's a shame that they'd rather throw good old stuff away instead of offering it to someone who would enjoy it.
I remember those Califone record players too. I started first grade in 1973 and back then, we still had the old Setchell-Carlson 21" B&W school TV sets. I also remember we used the old Bell & Howell 16mm movie projectors wiht the old films from Coronet, IIRC, you can download some of that old stuff at www.archive.org. When I got to juniour high about 1979 or so, we started to see VHS VCR's and the like. As to the old stuff, it is a shame it did get trashed. BTW, anyone remember filmstrips where you turned when you heard the "ding" from the record/cassette?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:10 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Off-topic, but since I brought it up...

My 1949 Kelvinator. Inside is as nice as the outside.

There is a better chance you find David Suzuki inside of it, than of him convincing me to trash it for some Chinese junk!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Carmine, that is a BEAUTY!I still have to get a 50's refrigerator someday ... but everytime I have money to put my hands on one, a 50's TV set appear ... and since 50's TVs are rarer than 50's refrigerators ( where I live ) I keep postponing the acquisition of a vintage refrigerator.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I remember those Califone record players too. I started first grade in 1973 and back then, we still had the old Setchell-Carlson 21" B&W school TV sets. I also remember we used the old Bell & Howell 16mm movie projectors wiht the old films from Coronet, IIRC, you can download some of that old stuff at www.archive.org. When I got to juniour high about 1979 or so, we started to see VHS VCR's and the like. As to the old stuff, it is a shame it did get trashed. BTW, anyone remember filmstrips where you turned when you heard the "ding" from the record/cassette?
Yes, I remember those little filmstrips (and the projectors) that had the soundtrack on a record or cassette. I found one of those little projectors from the '50's or '60's awhile back. I also remember our school watching Rudolph on large movie reels on the last day of school before Christmas vacation. And, I remember seeing a tube type Wollensak reel to reel recorder being used when I was in the 10th grade. My current teacher friends are telling me that most everything is on some sort of digital format. VHS and audio cassette tapes are almost a thing of the past.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
BTW, anyone remember filmstrips where you turned when you heard the "ding" from the record/cassette?
We had those in high school back around 1970. One kid who worked the projector had to advance the filmstrip when the record sounded the beep. Once, in the auditorium, we had to watch some lame presentation about college admissions, and some kids could accurately reproduce the beep and that would cause the kid working the projector to advance the filmstrip too early. Eventually he'd run out of filmstrip...
Audiokarma
Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, we had those same record players-the same "Filmo" filmstrip projectors. U-Matic vcrs until the mid-80s. Locally, at least, that stuff didn't get tossed but was sold at annual surplus auctions. I wish I had taken the time to attend them now. I'm sure all that good old stuff is now gone. I do have one of my high schools old 16mm Kodak projectors-it went through a couple hands between the surplus auction and me. What I really wished I had was the clean Zenith Chromacolor that Mr. Sanders had-or the Panasonic open reel video recorder sitting next to it.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Yep, we had those same record players-the same "Filmo" filmstrip projectors. U-Matic vcrs until the mid-80s. Locally, at least, that stuff didn't get tossed but was sold at annual surplus auctions. I wish I had taken the time to attend them now. I'm sure all that good old stuff is now gone. I do have one of my high schools old 16mm Kodak projectors-it went through a couple hands between the surplus auction and me. What I really wished I had was the clean Zenith Chromacolor that Mr. Sanders had-or the Panasonic open reel video recorder sitting next to it.

We had U-Matics as well. Also, when I was in grade school, 3rd grade (1975/76), I remember the class I was in watched the Peanuts Christmas special that was taped on an old Sony 1 inch reel-to-reel VTR and the TV was black and white. BTW, did you get some old 16mm films too?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 PM
AK Member

Having graduated highschool in 1998, is it sad that I too remember the "turn slide at beep" projectors?
Sansui G-3500 - JVC NR-50; 4VN-990
Kenwood GE-1100
Old 09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one projector with a built-in phonograph; I think it even advances the film automatically when it hears the beep, but I can't remember.

I do have a stash of 16mm stuff. Nothing from my school, but some that came out of a library and some other cool stuff.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
Having graduated highschool in 1998, is it sad that I too remember the "turn slide at beep" projectors?
Not if you were 58 years old!

Sorry, couldn't resist a lame joke...
Audiokarma
Old 11-11-2007, 04:18 AM
VK Member

Hi folks:

from the New York Times:

... At the same time, in the face of an F.C.C. edict that will
terminate all analog broadcasting in 2009 — the so-called
“analog sunset” — a wild bunch of television fans are also
insisting on a retro aesthetic: old color shows on old color
sets. Those who appreciated the turquoise and lipstick red of
the early sets, which used different phosphors than later color
televisions, have clustered online. On YouTube, a poster called
TeslaMaster has gone so far as to upload a video of a restored
1956 RCA television showing an episode of “Bonanza.” One catch:
the online video is, of course, digitized; to catch “Gunsmoke”
or “Bonanza” as they would have appeared in the 1950s, you’ll
need to restore an old RCA set yourself. ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/11/ma...-medium-t.html

- Eckhard