Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Transporting a 21AXP22

Hi Just want to get your thoughts on this one.
I will be Picking up as set that has a 21AXP22 CRT and by the time I get it
home it would have traveled about 3000 miles.
Has anyone damaged a metal cone CRT in transit?.
Maybe I got lucky when drove my CTC 5 (NY City to Seattle + another 600 miles), Removing the CRT has crossed my mind and I will probably go that way, What would you do?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just purchased a CTC-5D set, and drove it about 100 miles in my van. I have checked the tube with my CR-70--it is near perfect, both emissions and cutoff on all 3 guns, so it survived intact. The base is badly cracked--but the tube is perfect otherwise (it was cracked when I got it).

( I will speak about this set very soon, and show some pics. it is still in my van for now. It WILL be for sale.)

A 21AXP22 is not NEARLY as fragile as a 15GP22, so as long as it is securely mounted and nothing can "kill it" by falling against the neck or such, and you have a NICE soft environment for the set to "sleep on" during transit--it should not hurt it.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:02 AM
Marco Bacigalupo

Yes, I also don't think that there is some risks to transport a CTC5 or an 21AXP22, it's sufficient a good smooth driving.
RCA2000, show some pictures of your CTC5! I'm very interested to one of them and there isn't problem for me organize a shipment...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

If it's under vacuum, it's really no more dangerous than a glass CRT. I wouldn't worry about it, I had one Greyhound shipped in a ratty cardboard box with no foam once and it's still happily working in my CTC-4. Just don't ding the rim...
Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had one shipped from Florida to Italy with UPS double boxed. It arrived without any problems and working fine
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

The way it's mounted in the cabinet with the plastic shroud cradling it is probably the safest you could imagine, as long as there is nothing loose inside the cabinet to bang on it. Definitely make sure no spare parts are rattling around and no chassis mounting bolts are missing.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for your input, It pays get advise from those who have had experienced getting
and transporting the good stuff.
Most of my collection has 2000+miles of road travel, I wonder if Phil has anything to sell
being only 600 miles away he is really close.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 AM
BigDavesTV

I especially agree with old-tv-nut's suggestions, be sure all chassis bolts are secure, and NOTHING loose, or floating around inside the cabinet. Another thing that has worked well for me, if you have the room to place the set face (screen side) down, on a soft old blanket or two, after removing the knobs, and pad the cabinet so it doesn't move around from side to side or front to back, that has been good for me. About a month ago, I picked up a '60 RCA, CTC 11, in a beautiful maple cabinet, from NW Illinois, and transported to my home in SE Michigan, as described above, in my pick-up truck bed, without any problems! When I get around to it, I'll be posting pictures of the set! :-) Best of luck on your trip, let us know how it goes!
Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Extra caution again on loose stuff - make sure to check any high voltage cage covers, the tuner, etc.- service people have been known to leave off fasteners, and it could look OK until you wiggle it.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

A High Mileage 21AXP22

It made home After 3000 plus miles.
I am happy to say the CRT and the set faired well, I was surprised how good
the purity and convergence looked when if fired it up. I will do some fine adjustments and post some pictures. It is safe to say I may be the only one in town with working 21CT55.
Audiokarma