Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

it was the lineraity that was off, touched it up and vert height and center ok now but...

Vert is a little jumpy, not rolling but just shaky, seems to collape a bit and then back, fairly rapidly too.

I am going to set it up and see if just running it for a while will fix. I did try a different 6LU8. No change.

if that does not do it then I will look into some of the vert osc caps, there is a .0082 1000v that I is a brown dip, 5%. that will be a special order, my tester can't go that high to check for leakage.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

another thing I will try is to just clean the vert ht and vert lin adj pots.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

that helped, a little spritz of tuner cleaner and wipe them thru a few times.

Its a little on the fuzzy side, not sure how sharp it should be. I have an extra focus rectifier I may try with it.

Need to hook the speaker up, I had to cut the wires as the old plugs were hopelessly stuck to the tranny. I wil just put on some new plugs to make it removable. then I will button it up for an extended play, after that I will try the dot/cross hatch for a convertgence touch up. Purity looks fine.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

A hint: A soldering gun with the big transformer works well as a degausser, if you have one.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Convergence freak!

I cannot recall having these high voltage low mfd caps go bad, but guess it's possible. I have however seen the usual 50v 100mfd lytic go bad on RCA's. Not sure if this has similat charactristics or not.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

this is the one that I started the blue flashes thread, figured I would bring it back to the orig.

Got it in the office, rainbow starts up, swap a few 6GH8's in to th osc tube spot and that fixed that up.

only thing left is the darn control panel door. I think I got a fix. I need to make the little pegs that hold it in wider, then file a flat on it is a way that makes it want to stay up.

Pics coming later.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

dupe post

Last edited by DaveWM; 06-07-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

hmm says to use a high voltage prob and a vtvm. I only have a reg hv prob with the built in meter. this is to set the HV to 25.5kv

I wonder if the VTVM would load it less and therefore get a different reading than my HV prob with the built in meter.

I assume this is pretty critical since it does not have any HV regulation built into the circuit.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
hmm says to use a high voltage prob and a vtvm. I only have a reg hv prob with the built in meter. this is to set the HV to 25.5kv

I wonder if the VTVM would load it less and therefore get a different reading than my HV prob with the built in meter.

I assume this is pretty critical since it does not have any HV regulation built into the circuit.
My guess is not SO critical, and the HV meter is probably more accurate, although the number in the manual may be fudged to correspond to the VTVM reading in case that might be a little off. But remember, the serviceman would not have a VTVM traceable to national standards and wouldn't be expected to, so I say either way should be fine.
25.5 kV sounds like a case of too many decimal places to me.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I will get some screen shots later. looking good. I was watching rockford on it last nite, fun stuff. I need to touch up the purity a bit (dragnet red was a bit yellow down on the bottom) if a manual degausse does not do it.
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

screen shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dragon tales1.jpg (30.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (26.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (29.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (34.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow !! That set looks phenomenal.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Pretty dern good, I'd say...
Old 06-18-2010, 02:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

yes, and I did not even touch up the convergence static or dynamic. only needed a couple new tubes, and I replaced a couple caps, but I don't think they really needed it, they just tested a bit less than like a brand new cap, and I had already taken them out of circuit to test. Has the orig can cap.

its a real plain jane, I found an add for it touting the low cost practical cabinet, I am sure they were going for the hard core color tv holdouts.

Last edited by DaveWM; 06-18-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
sampson159

good looking pics!my family had one of those sets.sharp picture.dad bought it because it was a philco ford and spanky mcfarland was at the store promoting them.we watched hollywood palace and mannix the first night we got it.didnt work the next day,(6kd6 went south),but on monday it was working solid again.we got about 8 years out of it before it was retired for a d-16 sylvania with slide controls.the philco was sold to a neighbor and they watched it for years.i jolted the crt a few times in 10 or so years for them and had a cap go in the audio once.good set and glad to see your looking so well
Audiokarma