Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
fsjonsey's Avatar
fsjonsey fsjonsey is offline
Living The Draper Ethos
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 539

17" rectangular color tube in 1962, wow.
__________________
This device isn't a spaceship, it's a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards... it takes us to a place where we ache to go again.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-11-2008, 03:36 AM
eberts eberts is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 139
All the picture tubes in the above sets were made in the USA.
Jap made tubes except for the trinitron were not common till the 70's when they started importing 19" and below completed color tv sets. Any thing over 19" even if it was a Jap set had a USA made tube in it till about the late 70's, early 80's.
The 27" Sony Trinitron tube was made and assembled in the USA of USA parts except for the electron gun.
Later on Jap tubes showed up in more sets up to 25".
The poorest quality tubes were made in Tawain. They would lose vacuum after 2 years from the poorly made frit material sealing the panel and funnel.
Tubes made in the netherlands by Phillips were also junk.
The American made tube has never been surpassed in regard to quality, durability, and very long service life.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,595
The 14" set (bw, looks like) sure copies the old 630ts design. Unique.

I remember some discussions here about the 17" Japanese color sets and how they were sold by Sears. Large neck crt like a roundie? I don't believe that particular one could have been sourced from the US, or else our manufacturers would have been all over it.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:46 PM
JohnAdams's Avatar
JohnAdams JohnAdams is offline
AK Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 71
I worked next door to a Sears catalog store from 1963 to 1970. I remember when they got the first 17" color set in. It looked funny on long legs but had a good picture.
__________________
John of Memphis
Currently own 5 working Zeniths Color TV's and one needing repair. PLUS a Zenith Circle of Sound AM-FM radio.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 PM
eberts eberts is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The 14" set (bw, looks like) sure copies the old 630ts design. Unique.

I remember some discussions here about the 17" Japanese color sets and how they were sold by Sears. Large neck crt like a roundie? I don't believe that particular one could have been sourced from the US, or else our manufacturers would have been all over it.
That tube was a 17ENP22, made in the USA, glass componets were from Corning Glass. By today's standards, it would be considered stupid.
back then, that tube was also used in practically every Conrac (brand) Televion Station monitor.
By the time the Japs made a few of those tubes, they were obsolete.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
KentTeffeteller's Avatar
KentTeffeteller KentTeffeteller is offline
Gimpus Stereophilus!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Athens, TN
Posts: 589
Hi,

5 will get ya 10 that this roundie has a CTC series clone chassis in it! This TV is veddy American inspired and sure has American components in it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-12-2008, 07:46 PM
andy's Avatar
andy andy is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 4,003
Most of the Japanese sets I've worked on from the 60's and 70's had Japanese made CRTs in them. It isn't until the late 70's/early 80's that I see a lot of American made CRTs. Even then, they were usually made by a Japanese company in the US. A 17" rectangular set was unheard of in the US in 1962.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Sandy G's Avatar
Sandy G Sandy G is offline
Spiteful Old Cuss
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Rogersville, Tennessee
Posts: 9,077
Yeah, we had one of those funky Sears color sets way, way back.. It was absolute crap...About a year-18 months later my dad got one of the 1st Porta-Colors, & it rarely ever gave any trouble.
__________________
Benevolent Despot
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Kiwick's Avatar
Kiwick Kiwick is offline
slave to 3 equines
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Italy
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberts
Tubes made in the netherlands by Phillips were also junk.
Not in my experience... Philips CRTs made in the 60s-80s time frame are almost immune from wear, i have yet to find a set with a bad Philips CRT, even the extremely high hour ones with severe screen burn i took out of old railway monitors still had strong emission from all 3 guns!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 PM
bgadow's Avatar
bgadow bgadow is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Federalsburg, MD
Posts: 5,595
ebert, did you (do you?) work in the crt business?
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #26  
Old 04-15-2008, 10:07 AM
julianburke julianburke is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee
Posts: 590
It certainly looks like a Japanese clone of the RCA CTC7 WITH a 21CYP22. Patterned after it with all tubes in the same location. This would have to be an extremely rare set because people at that time would have a hard time buying any Japanese products as they were considered cheap copies and inferior. Also having a brand name like "Hitachi" or otherwise in your living room in this country would "brand" you back then even up to the late '60's. I remember acquiring a Hitachi about that time and finally sold it. It was a 19" rectangular console and had a beautiful color picture!
__________________
julian
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-15-2008, 11:29 AM
electroking's Avatar
electroking electroking is offline
a- v- karma member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal (QC), Canada
Posts: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianburke View Post
It certainly looks like a Japanese clone of the RCA CTC7 WITH a 21CYP22. Patterned after it with all tubes in the same location. This would have to be an extremely rare set because people at that time would have a hard time buying any Japanese products as they were considered cheap copies and inferior. Also having a brand name like "Hitachi" or otherwise in your living room in this country would "brand" you back then even up to the late '60's. I remember acquiring a Hitachi about that time and finally sold it. It was a 19" rectangular console and had a beautiful color picture!
Interesting discussion, but these sets are from the domestic Japanese
market, and I don't believe that U.S. made sets were competing with
them, with the well known Japanese nationalism. And as mentioned,
the channel frequencies would not be directly compatible.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 AM
Telecolor 3007's Avatar
Telecolor 3007 Telecolor 3007 is offline
I love old stuff
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Posts: 1,343
Ain't that a "Hitachi" CT-150 with a 21CYP22A picture tube?
It's very simillar to this one: http://audiokarma.org/forums/attachm...0&d=1208504122

Here is the topic: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22009
Where did you spot the tv set?
__________________
OLD, but ORIGINAL, not Made in CHINA.
Sailor Moon
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-23-2008, 09:54 AM
fujifrontier's Avatar
fujifrontier fujifrontier is offline
roundie not so n00b
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by eberts View Post
That tube was a 17ENP22, made in the USA, glass componets were from Corning Glass. By today's standards, it would be considered stupid.

what do you mean?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTeufel


Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
larschr's Avatar
larschr larschr is offline
TeeVee collector
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 106
That cabinet reminds me a lot of the Philips K4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
Not in my experience... Philips CRTs made in the 60s-80s time frame are almost immune from wear, i have yet to find a set with a bad Philips CRT, even the extremely high hour ones with severe screen burn i took out of old railway monitors still had strong emission from all 3 guns!
Second that.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.