Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Camera 4 where are you !(Whats the LINK)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKhXctr-FkU tell me how this was done .
The studio it was recorded in was Studio 1 at BBC Television Centre in London
and it has concrete floors. Trap doors were not possible.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would say that there is a second camera that is used from the time the door is closed -- swings down from the ceiling. Same lens coverage, etc. The studio camera is an empty shell with another small camera in it, so it looks like it works. When the door is closed, camera guy disassembles camera from tripod, folds tripod, and shuffles it out the back into a compartment in beneath the stairs/riser behind the crate. Note that the host is standing right there during this time. He's done by the time the crate is picked up, while the mini cam is showing the image. During the 3,2,1 countdown, the mini cam is stowed back up in the top of the crate, and the guy gets ready for the reveal.

The host of the show is in on it. He picks the camera, stands in the "magic" zone, etc.

It would be interesting to see unedited footage of it.

There were easily very small broadcast quality cameras available then.
I'm not real keen on Euro cams of the time, but, in fact, all of the cameras may be fakes -- just foldable plastic boxes with fake lens housings. In that case, any camera could be chosen, and the box and tripod disassembled and stowed in the base of the crate. There's room in the height of the fork "pockets" for that.

So enter, take cam 4, close door, take cam 4.alt, disassemble lens, camera body, tripod, stow, pivot, reveal. Note that the top of the crate rises up an inch in the "back" at the reveal -- so it's not an everyday shipping crate.

Chip
Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've told a few people online and on facebook in great detail how it was done, but every time i tell them, it ends up in an argument as they dont believe me, and proceed to tell me how they think it was done...

David Copperfield did a very similair trick, and in that one the dead giveaway to part of it was that the "tube" camera turned into a CCD camera from the cameras view once the box was closed. It also was evident that it was partly a recorded image (arm movements werent exactly the same) later on it was evident the woman moving the box had control of the camera.

Both were done in very similair way, its reasonably complex and rehearsed, but also reasonably simple.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation Link 125 Camera

The Man is from the Live Audience ,Tapeing the whole show & had a Choice of Link 125 Cameras (5).The Camera maybe a Case but the Ped ( Not a Tripod) / Head look real to me ( Alot of Weight) .Is this the Prop Link 125 Camera that is at the Bradford Museum ? Still a Good Trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCXBCD6Ols

Last edited by XDCAM; 08-26-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

So, if the guy behind the crate isn't in on it, and the cameras are real, then my guess is right out. Is there an unedited version available to screen?

Or, y'all could just tell us.

Chip
Audiokarma
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another give away, pause the video when the case is opened and the planks fall, you can see a box or something stuck to them above that little window..possibly part of the mini camera
Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

The riser and stairs behind the box are tall enough for the stairs to lift up (like a hatchback), and then first camera, then folded pedestal to be stowed beneath, along with the helper.

Mere presence of the observer doesn't mean he prevents anything from happening. He could be an instant accomplice, with the magician "counting on" his discretion. And, if the magician himself picks the observer from the audience, it's probably not really an audience member.

You can also see well into the box during its pirouette while on the forklift. My guess is that the box is already empty before the forklift picks it up.

The balloons are not there for no reason. Disguising a winch cable perhaps?

The guy on the mezzanine (piano player?) at the end is pretty unimpressed, inferring he was at the proper vantage point to see all.

But this is all still just conjecture, of course.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bradford Museum

Been talking to ex Link Camera Desinger Engineer & confirmed that they were real Link 125 Cameras on Vinten Ped / Heads . The Camera (Shell) at the Bradford Museum is Most likely One of the last cameras that Link made Link 130 .
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
So, if the guy behind the crate isn't in on it, and the cameras are real, then my guess is right out. Is there an unedited version available to screen?

Or, y'all could just tell us.

Chip
Full Clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCXBCD6Ols