Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

The people that operate these fabs will be all American. According to the article in the paper today, the one in New York will employ 1200. There are also supporting jobs, such as supplying the ultra clean gasses necessary for these fabs, etc. As I live in Austin, I do know people here that are making a living from the Samsung plant.

As far as other electronics jobs, the typical line that builds a cell phone or TV is mostly robots, etc.(+ a few repetitive jobs) This is true no matter where it is located. Open any electronic device today-the heart of it is the integrated circuit. All the rest of it is just support.

I do not know anything about vacuum pumps, but I do know that the company I work for, an American company, builds and supplies ICs to companies in Japan for the Japanese market! In addtion, there are several startup bringing out new chips here all of the time. Just because we do not build TVs any more does not indicate that the US electronics industry is dead.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:40 PM

Can't argue that the AMD fab in NY will add new jobs. It is a green-field project. Something totally new. That's great to read.

Ultra clean gases. Near and dear to my heart. I was project manager for the UHP piping install throughout AMD fabs 10, 14 & 15 in Austin (great city - I miss living there). UHP piping and gases, etc., was brandy-new back in the late '80's. Passe today. Do those fabs even exist today? But, if there is one thing that the industrial gas companies hate more than adding capacity, it is adding personel. Might be a few added technician jobs if they (APCI, BOC, Matheson, etc.) get an on-site operations contract, but not many.

Austin....AMD, Motorola (or what was Motorola MOS 11), Cypress, Samsung, Austin Semi (milspec stuff, mostly), does IBM still exist on the north side of town? Who else is running lines in Austin?

Don't think that the folks operating the Samsung fab will all be American. At the management and engineering level I'll guess it will be about 50/50. The worker-bees will be Americans. And the tool-set might be 50/50. But, better than nothing.

Few U.S. companies invest in their manufacturing operations (with some noted hi-tech companies like Intel, IBM, etc., who do). Ala Zenith, where this thread started. Too busy paying their worthless senior executives multi-tens of millions of dollars to run the company into the ground.

Not unusual that we would be shipping chips to Japan. Is even more expensive to make products there than it is in the U.S. Like us, they only make the highest of their high-tech/high-value-added products at home. If we make chips less expensively than they do for certain products then that is what they will use. Pretty sad. Yamaha doesn't even make a digital player today. Simply buy and rebadge those from folks like Samsung. Oh, the horror.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are three companies that I am aware of running IC fabrication in Austin-Freescale(spun off from Motorola), Spansion(spun off from AMD) and Samsung. IBM is still here. Also here is Intel-design center only. Many other newer small companies are also here. Of course, Dell is still still here, but has stopped growing in Austin. I am not sure what Austin Semi and Cypress are doing these days.

As far as the ratio of workers at the Samsung plant, I cannot imagine it being 50/50. I am sure the plant employs as many as the AMD plant will. That would mean bringing 600 Koreans over. It seems that it would be cheaper then to just keep it in Korea. I think it is more like 90/10.

In addition, Toyota is building a large pickup factory in San Antonio. They want to try to take Ford and GMs market for large pickups. Of course the workers they hire will only replace GM/Ford workers who are losing their jobs with cheaper non-union workers that have no retirement benefits.

As far as the problem with over-paid executives running companys in the ground, that is industry wide, not just in electronics.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peverett
As far as the ratio of workers at the Samsung plant, I cannot imagine it being 50/50. I am sure the plant employs as many as the AMD plant will. That would mean bringing 600 Koreans over. It seems that it would be cheaper then to just keep it in Korea. I think it is more like 90/10.

As far as the problem with over-paid executives running companys in the ground, that is industry wide, not just in electronics.
I stated "at the management and engineering level". That will not be half of the 1200 you mentioned.

And, again, I did not state that over-paid executives was only an electronics manufacturing industry problem. Although it exists there as much as anywhere. Just look at what TJ at Crypress has paid himself over the years.

Thanks for the info on Spansion and Freescale.