Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking at the schematic in msg #41, it looks like the voltage on the +370 line would vary according to the setting of the focus control. Also, it looks like the +360 line might vary some as well. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:43 AM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9589 View Post
Looking at the schematic in msg #41, it looks like the voltage on the +370 line would vary according to the setting of the focus control. Also, it looks like the +360 line might vary some as well. Am I missing something here?
It will change, but considering the focus control is in parallel with the 250 ohm focus coil it's overall effect is negligible. Sams will often say to the set the control to one extreme when taking voltage or resistance measurements.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll be on the lookout for the SAMS note.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK so question, How do I go about measuring the B+ Voltage (the voltages on the 5U4G Tube) with the tube in place arcing while the TV is powered up? Wouldn't running the TV that long with the 5U4G tube arcing like that ruin that tube?
Old 09-26-2019, 01:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, looking forward to seeing a schematic!
I would disconnect all connection off the 5U4 that were suppling and voltages and see if it was arcing after that.
Beyond that I would avoid any more power ups with that much load put on the transformer otherwise it's going to cook out a winding in short order, if that is not already a issue.
Look for defective 5U4 tube socket, also a filter choke with a short to chassis. I can't imagine the 5 volt cap would not cause that much of a problem.
As someone else mention the focus, check that the focus control is not shorting to chassis.
What is the current draw on the input of the transformer with all the tubes out?

Last edited by Tube TV; 09-26-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-01-2019, 12:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Posted below for everyone's information is the power supply section of the Schematic for this TV.

Hope this helps everyone help me figure out why my TV's power supply is drawing over 8 Amps of current and causing my 5U4 tube to arc and nearly redplate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power Supply Schematic for Philharmonic Model 8200 TV.jpg (39.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-01-2019, 09:17 AM
M is for Memory

Disclaimer: the component designators in the attachment are fuzzy and I may not have read them correctly.

Procedure: disconnect C1a positive and L1 from pin 2 of 5U4. Measure resistance to ground at pin 2 if the resistance is that specified in the service literature or higher then the shot is not in the tube or power transformer (but if it meaures well below spec resistance spec the tube socket and or power transformer are prime suspects).

If you cleared the power transformer of suspicion next disconnect L1, R95, C2b, focus control, and focus coil from each other. Check resistance of C1a, C1b, and both wires of L1 to ground...if any of them measures less than 1M to ground replace the part that has low resistance.

Check R95, focus pot, and focus coil to ground. If R95 checks lower than 100k to ground you may need to check the circus it feeds off the image you attached. If focus coil checks under 100k to ground unhook the other focus coil lead and measure each lead to ground if still low replace focus coil. If focus pot tests under 100k to ground disconnect it's terminals from circuit and measure from each to ground. If still too low pot is defective.
Also disconnect the positive of C1c and measure it's resistance to ground. Do the same for R94...if you still haven't found the short check the items off the attached image that the B+ drives.

Methodically divide and conquer...er um I mean measure till you find your shorted part(s). Replace culprit part(s) remeasure, reconnect all disconnected connections, remeasure to be sure the short is gone, and then power up if all now checks good (use a variac and or dim bulb tester if you have one just in case something is still wrong).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-01-2019, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Disclaimer: the component designators in the attachment are fuzzy and I may not have read them correctly.

Procedure: disconnect C1a positive and L1 from pin 2 of 5U4. Measure resistance to ground at pin 2 if the resistance is that specified in the service literature or higher then the shot is not in the tube or power transformer (but if it meaures well below spec resistance spec the tube socket and or power transformer are prime suspects).

If you cleared the power transformer of suspicion next disconnect L1, R95, C2b, focus control, and focus coil from each other. Check resistance of C1a, C1b, and both wires of L1 to ground...if any of them measures less than 1M to ground replace the part that has low resistance.

Check R95, focus pot, and focus coil to ground. If R95 checks lower than 100k to ground you may need to check the circus it feeds off the image you attached. If focus coil checks under 100k to ground unhook the other focus coil lead and measure each lead to ground if still low replace focus coil. If focus pot tests under 100k to ground disconnect it's terminals from circuit and measure from each to ground. If still too low pot is defective.
Also disconnect the positive of C1c and measure it's resistance to ground. Do the same for R94...if you still haven't found the short check the items off the attached image that the B+ drives.

Methodically divide and conquer...er um I mean measure till you find your shorted part(s). Replace culprit part(s) remeasure, reconnect all disconnected connections, remeasure to be sure the short is gone, and then power up if all now checks good (use a variac and or dim bulb tester if you have one just in case something is still wrong).
Sorry about the fuzzy diagram the Sam's Folder came to me that way when I downloaded it from the Sam's website.

I'll definitely check those things out for sure.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
I'll definitely check those things out for sure.
But by all means start with this from Electronic M:

Quote:
With C1a+ and L1 disconnected from pin 2, you should read infinite resistance (open circuit) from pin 2 to ground. If so, that eliminates 5U4 socket and xfmr as suspects. Then proceed 'downstream' per Electronic M's directions.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM
THE A-1 WIRELESS MAN

Wow there are more posts about this set than there are Parts in it LOL
Old 10-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison64 View Post
Wow there are more posts about this set than there are Parts in it LOL
Whomever said it was easy to teach troubleshooting skills via the internet was mistaken.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Whomever said it was easy to teach troubleshooting skills via the internet was mistaken.
Yeah, I wish there was someone nearby that could help me with this but unfortunately none of you here live nearby where I live.

I really do want to get this set going because it is such a rare set and also this would be the oldest tv I've ever owned.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Vortalexfan, how are you doing with this, are you making any headway?
Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube TV View Post
Vortalexfan, how are you doing with this, are you making any headway?
Unfortunately no, I'm no closer to figuring out what's causing my 5U4 tube to arc and red plate than I was a couple of weeks ago.

I've been testing various components and replacing suspect capacitors in the power supply and I'm not getting anywhere.

Last edited by vortalexfan; 10-02-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Unfortunately no, I'm no closer to figuring out what's causing my 5U4 tube to arc and red plate than I was a couple of weeks ago.

I've been testing various components and replacing suspect capacitors in the power supply and I'm not getting anywhere.
So what did you find out when you followed Electronic M's below procedure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Procedure: disconnect C1a positive and L1 from pin 2 of 5U4. Measure resistance to ground at pin 2 if the resistance is that specified in the service literature or higher then the short is not in the tube or power transformer (but if it meaures well below spec resistance spec the tube socket and or power transformer are prime suspects).
Audiokarma