Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
Administrator

There is absolutely nothing more disgusting than restoring a vintage vacuum cleaner. I'd rather do another 50s stove.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

My granmaw had a c.1952 Electrolux that weighed a ton & would suck the chrome offa trailer hitch...I remember once, when she was nearly 100, she lived alone, & was vacuuming her house...She'd "slowed down" as a concession to age, & only gave her house a "Spring Cleaning" every other month, instead of every week or so as she was used to doing when she was a callow youth of 70 or so...Anyhoo, she was up at the top of her stairs, got tangled up in her feet & she & the Electrolux took turns ridin' each other down the stairs...Results ? No harm to the old war horse Electrolux, she had a small cut on her forehead, & was kinda stiff the next day...Miss Izzy was tougher than any 3 pine knots you'd care to name..I wish I could remember what happened to that ol' Lux...Her recipes ALL started with-"First, you take a Stick of Butter...." and went from there. She salted her food to where it looked like it snowed on it, broke ALL the health rules, lived to be 104...
Old 04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did anyone check out the automatic washer site "BGADOW" posted a link too?

some of those collectors have entire wings of their homes full of washers and dryers!

These Philco Auto-magics are really cool looking.

http://automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/0...S/UNIMATIC1140

I never knew people collected washers and dryers!

This RCA is pretty neat too!
http://automaticwasher.org/cgi-bin/0...S/UNIMATIC1140
Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unimatic used to pop up on here (well, AK) years ago. I think he has/had a roundie.

Buried on my workbench is a neat piece of test equipment for working on vacuums. One of its features is a vacuum meter-you hold the hose up to a fitting in the front and can get a readout of how strong the suction is. On the back is a list of various popular makes and what they should read. I seem to recall Electrolux having the highest normal reading. Guess I'll have to dig it out and snap a photo to share.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

That suction meter sounds interesting,I'd like to see a photo of it!

Some of those washers and dryers have incredible styling!
I sure wouldn't mind having a pair of Philco Automagics in turquoise.

Have you ever run across the Apex Strato-cleaner?
I've only seen one in old magazine ads.

I'm glad Kamakiri had the idea to start this forum for other interests.

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 04-16-2011 at 11:06 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Administrator

I wonder where you'd even begin to look for one of those. I'd assume that you'd have to know a metal scrap guy really, really well.....

....come to think of it, that's how I got my Norge refrigerator....
Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Norge! Now there's a name you dont hear very often!

Youre right,I doubt to many old washers and dryers would have survived,they aren't exactly the kind of items someone would just put out in the garage like a Philco predicta.

You don't see to many vintage window air conditioners either come to think of it.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Cleaning vacuum cleaners...

When I worked for Sears in the early 1990's, one of the jobs I took on was doing repairs on those incredibly junky Whirlpool built plastic vacuums that they sold as canister models. Sometimes, I would wonder what these people were thinking when they installed the new bag by just laying it in the slot and closing the lid on it. I've even found dead mice in machines before.

Those plastic vacuums sure had crummy motors on them. Look at them wrong, and they would burn out.

Another fetish, er, collection item for me is old Vornado fans. I have 4 of them. They will blow your toupee off at 100 paces on low speed.

My car vacuum is a 1961 International with a cloth bag. When I got it, the hose was rotton. My local vac shop sold me 18' of hose for it, and charged me a total of $20 for the repairs. Now, the vacuum sits in the dry garage and the hose comes out as far as I need it to go.

I've got 8 old Kirby's total, but no rug rejuvinator tools. My G3 rules my house.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I collect old Vornados too,as well as other fans that have futuristic styling.
The blades on the Fresh'nd aires are very sleek and really put out a powerful jetstream of air.

Roto-Beam is another "fan of tomorrow"

What does a 1961 International vacuum cleaner look like?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

The reversible window fan I use in my radio room is a Vornado. Nice piece. I had one of their table fans when I was a teenager. It needed some new rubber bushings; I took it apart to change them and that was the end of that...another project never finished

Odd to see that name brand thrown away on junk. Yesterday we were in a Goodwill store and they had a 12" bw from the 80s or so branded Vornado.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I miss my old 1980s hoover vacuum, had the hand vacuum that attached in the center of the main vacuum. so you could pull out the cord, un-attach the "dust-buster" and then plug the cord into it. and vice versa.

The motor finally smoked on it and off to the dump she went. was a good vacuum.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
The reversible window fan I use in my radio room is a Vornado. Nice piece. I had one of their table fans when I was a teenager. It needed some new rubber bushings; I took it apart to change them and that was the end of that...another project never finished

Odd to see that name brand thrown away on junk. Yesterday we were in a Goodwill store and they had a 12" bw from the 80s or so branded Vornado.
Funny you mention that,I'm not sure when exactly Vornado was sold,but I have also seen box fans from the 1970's labeled "Vornado" with cheap plastic grilles,they used to be sold at the local hardware store under other brand names as well.

I've also seen the Vornado brand plastered on transistor radios,hair dryers and other unusual items from the 60's so I'm guessing they sold out sometime during that era.

You're right though,the fans today are pure junk.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

another area where i would never spend a dime on .except for replacement bags.kirby g4 pulled from the dumpster at my shop 10 years ago.the "house of the reformed prostitute"up front tossed it when the bar jammed on string and burned the belt.they saw me pull it out of the dumpster and asked why i was trashpicking.(its a shared dumpster).i said it must be nice to toss stuff like this and buy new.they are some sort of non profit and their motto is trust no man.our shop water cooler came from them too.thermostat set too cold and it iced up.
and the home unit is a 30's vintage kirby that looks like a turbocharger on a stick.more for a decoration.the tristar canister with powered floor unit does most of the work.another curb find.insurance paid for it after a storm and the folks set it out.broken wire in the plug.and you wonder why insurance is expensive!
and dont get me started on fans.got real tired of plastic junk.now here and at the shop the ones in everyday use are all older than me.some by 2x!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Tubes Are Good

I am going to chime in here also, my Mom gave me their 1952 vintage Kirby when they "upgraded" to a Hoover in the early 80s, I ran that Kirby until the late 90s when it finally gave up. I do still have it tucked away and keep thinking about restoring it back to running condition. When we cleaned out their house a number of years ago I inherited their Kirby G4 with the "tech drive" I really like that vacuum. I honestly don't know if I would pay the price for a new Kirby but they do work well and run forever.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

The O. E. Sutton company that owned Vornado sold out in the early 1960's. I have a 1961 Vornado window fan with a 2 speed motor that is really built on the cheap. The motor is nothing compared to the motor in the 1949 Vornado that I got from my dad. He told me that the big dent in it came when it fell out of a 2nd story window! It still works to this day.

I visited Vacuumland, and the washing machine site for awhile. I tried to become a member, but nobody ever emailed me back after I gave the info they wanted. So, I just quit going there.

Oh, how much do I collect? How much room is there in the house?

GeorgeJetson, the International vacuum you asked about... It's turquoise, and looks like a little rocket. It has a cloth bag. There are a bunch of them on the vacuumland site. I got mine when my grandmother passed, and we found it in the basement. I just couldn't toss it...
Audiokarma