Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:10 AM
I love old stuff

Exclamation Romanian radios for U.S.A.

I heard that Romania (country of "Dracula" & Ceausescu) exported tranzistors radio in U.S.A. (especeally radios with mechanichal alarm clocks) during the '70's and the '80's? Is that true?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

First off, Welcome to AK !! Nice to see there's "TV nuts" everywhere !! How did you find us? Anyhow, to answer your question I don't remember ever seeing radios or ANYTHING else made in Romania for sale over here then-just another lie Ceausescu told you. Too bad that rat bastard could only be killed once. Enjoy yr stay here-this is a GREAT bunch of guys-and gals- & I think you'll like it here. -Sandy G.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:30 AM
AK Member

I think it along with all of the other then communist countries were trade embargoed into the US.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:01 PM
I love old stuff

@Sandy G. Seem you're pretty anti-Comunist. I found you by looking for RCA CTC-11. Well, i hrad a guy (who todays repairs tvs) and who worked at "Electronica" the same thing with the radios.
@Brian well, the glass instalion used at "Intreprinderea de Cinescoape (The Picture Tubes Plant)" from Bucharest was
Made in U.S.A.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I heard that Romania (country of "Dracula" & Ceausescu) exported tranzistors radio in U.S.A.
I don't remember seeing anything from Romania in the 70's and 80's except maybe some wine (and I'm a beer drinker anyway). Most transistor radios sold in the USA came from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Korea.

I've seen Romania spelled "Rumania" years ago.

Quote:
Seem you're pretty anti-Comunist.
We were all told about evil godless communism back in the 50's and 60's.

Especially if you went to a Catholic grammar school (aka elementary or primary school). "Communism is the most evil thing ever to happen in the world", it actually said in a history book I had in 4th grade. Also was told about the evils of bad English grammar. Though various friends and people I know who grew up in various communist countries all said that communism did suck...
Audiokarma
Old 08-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Administrator

The only radios I know that came fromk Romania were under the name Welbilt, mostly those reproduction cathedral radios.....
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 AM
I love old stuff

Oh, ya, a cathedral radio reproduction too. Here in Romania we colled it "radio cuc (coo-coo radios).
Romania was a Communsit country, but in the perido 65-83 was in very good relations with the West (we couldn't support the Soviets).
Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, ol' Nicolai & Nixon were buds, sort of. You'd thought a old cold warrior like Nixon wouldn't have warmed up to Ceaucescu, easily the most despotic of the Comecon despots, but he did. Ceausescu seemed to draw his influence from Hitler & Dracula. Most of the Russians & Comecon leaders had SOMETHING to like about them, albeit small, but Nicolai had absolutely NOTHING to redeem him. Even his wife was hateful. But boy, did they get theirs in the end. Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple....-Sandy G.