Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:10 AM
M is for Memory

Messing with a beat up Zenith CCII 25GC50

So just over a week ago I went on a misadventure to pickup what was described as a nice working free CCII and for a friend. The uuuuum entity(?) I picked it up from gave my whole family the dreaded coronabeer virus...Ma's blind in one eye, I'm half deaf in one ear and 90% of the rest is ringing in that ear (it's like someone fired a gun next to my head), and if Dad could just develop a speech impediment we be like the proverbial 3 monkeys they make statues of...
I'm still not well but I no longer feel so hellishly bad that I can be talked into giving up bench time.

Anyhow I didn't care to examine the set or interact(beyond the bare minimum)with the strange entity that had it so after getting the TV home and assessing/reporting it's condition to the person I got it for we came to the conclusion that the plague infested thing (once you are no longer he or she and engage in germ warfare against me you loose the privilege of having me think of you as human) I got this TV from should have left it on the curb they found it on...I should not have wasted the gas either.

So now I'm stuck with the worst example of a CCII cabinet I was eventually hoping to find a better example of... I'm half tempted to scrap it but I'm going to give it a chance at life first.
It's a remote Zoom equipped upright chassis. There's audio and HV but not much else... Screen will light for an instant when power is switched off. I figured out that cathodes are about 50V high, discovered I can get a line if I flip the service switch to service. Then with the switch in normal mode I tried to unplug the cathodes and learned that doing so will give me a horizontal line...so I have both bad gun bias and a dead vertical.

Does anyone know if a known good 9-147 vertical module from a newer 23KC45 parts CCII will sub for the 9-92 in this set? Also would the video modules that feed the CRT interchange?
I'd like to avoid component level work for now, get a picture on it with the bare minimum of work.... I'd prefer to minimize contact with this biohazard until I know for sure I'm not scraping it (= I get a picture on screen).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-08-2024, 08:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes 9-147 good sub & more reliable. Subs all uprights EXCEPT EFL
jug set.
Flash at turn off common. When the vert fails DC on yoke pulls
the line off screen. Dont forget the vert fuse also.

Zeno
Old 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

“Ma's blind in one eye, I'm half deaf in one ear and 90% of the rest is ringing in that ear (it's like someone fired a gun next to my head)”

Yikes! This is caused by the flu?
Hope you and family make a speedy recovery!

jr
Old 01-08-2024, 11:50 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks Zeno. The fuse was the first thing I checked. Subbing the module with the newer known good one(I've seen it work in the parts chassis) yielded no change. I also tried a spare CRT and yoke from a non-zoom CII and that didn't change anything either.
I think my next move is to troubleshoot the main chassis.

Jr tech I believe it's the current strain of COVID but I have no clue what other pestilence that masked thing was carrying. By the time you've read this my ear will have been like this a week. There's been no significant change in me since Thursday when the heavy congestion that messed up my ear ended...ma at least in the last 2 days started not feeling bad enough to be worried aloud about dying so that's a relief...
This reminds me of the last time I had COVID....It hit really hard for a while, mellowed some then wouldn't let go for a long time then faded out. As something of an audiophile having the balance control of the left ear messed up really makes me sick... not to mention dizzy.

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-09-2024 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

“I believe it's the current strain of COVID“

Sounds very nasty!
Again, hope you and family recover soon!

jr
Audiokarma
Old 01-10-2024, 01:15 AM
M is for Memory

Fixed the CCII. Never seen a bad vertical section of the service switch before only heard of it on older sets.