Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Right now, the tube is a big unknown. I do not intend to just plug it into a tube checker, because if it is gassy, the heaters will likely blow. I suspect that I will bring up the heater voltage slowly and monitor for excessive heater current... if I get up to 6.3V with normal current and a nice orange-red glow, I will then use a crt checker.

The pinout and voltages of the crt look about the same as a 21AXP22 so I suspect that the guns are very similar.

One thing that has me worried is that the tube does NOT appear to be fritted together... So how was the front panel attached to the funnel?. Indeed, quoting Peter Keller again:
"Corning Glass Works developed the frit-seal process which was first introduced in 1958 for the all-glass 21CY22 color picture tube." I hope that they did not use the same process that was used on the 15GP22s.

When I obtained the set, it produced a fair picture, somewhat dim, and convergence was always a problem. The previous owner left the side control cover off, and said that he often fiddled with the convergence, which changed during operation. Yikes! Hot chassis and all!

jr
Old 09-17-2009, 10:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Many of us have been waiting for this day! I can recall some false hopes when folks found Westinghouse sets that looked identical to this one but were B/W. Very strange that they didn't dress it up. Westinghouse seems to have always been an also-ran; perhaps had their promotional abilities been a little better they would have sold more. I wonder if they ever had Betty Furness selling these on TV?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Very strange that they didn't dress it up. Westinghouse seems to have always been an also-ran; perhaps had their promotional abilities been a little better they would have sold more. I wonder if they ever had Betty Furness selling these on TV?
But remember, at the time most color sets were very plain, my early RCA sets don't have *any* sort of color logo, although it is pretty obvious that they are not "normal monochrome" sets.

That is why I think the Motorola sets were so great... the gorgeous 19" just shouted COLOR! and even my 21" has that nice 3 color treatment of the tuning knob.

jr
Old 09-17-2009, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Many of us have been waiting for this day! I can recall some false hopes when folks found Westinghouse sets that looked identical to this one but were B/W. Very strange that they didn't dress it up. Westinghouse seems to have always been an also-ran; perhaps had their promotional abilities been a little better they would have sold more. I wonder if they ever had Betty Furness selling these on TV?
My dad, his brother, and one of their sisters worked for Westinghouse transformer division. They were extremely loyal to Westinghouse products. Surprisingly they never owned a Westinghouse TV. I was never sure what to make of that.

John
Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Glad to see that one of these sets survives in
outstanding cosmetic condition. Check out the Westinghouse 22" color receiver pictured on my site from a Dec. 1956 Magazine ad.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 09-18-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-18-2009, 12:32 AM
On Land

Steve, your link says HTTP 403 (forbidden) when I click on it

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Steve, your link says HTTP 403 (forbidden) when I click on it
Thanks Charlie, I edited my previous post. The link isn't working. You can go to my site and scroll down to the Westinghouse ad.

-Steve D.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 AM
On Land

Okay... thanks

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Repro Battery Builder

At first sight, I would've never guessed that was a color television.
Audiokarma
Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

There were two 22 inch tubes, one made by CBS and one by Westinghouse. I have had two Westinghouse and one CBS sets reported to me, but these are the first pictures I've seen.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/22_inch_color_tubes.html
Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
That was a bummer, my first TV related posts on Audiokarma were wiped out in the transition to Videokarma.

Here it is again, I will try to get more pictures in the next day or so, I am just getting back into the hobby, and my "TV room" is still piled high with boxes that I need to clear out.

I just took another picture, which includes a Motorola with a 21" round tube, so the difference is quite visible.

jr
My next-door neighbor in my old neighborhood had a Sears Silvertone b&w console TV that looked almost exactly like the one being discussed here. However, I can't imagine Westinghouse making TVs for Sears and Roebuck in the 1950s; most "Sears" branded color sets from the '50s-'60s were RCA CTC-12 through CTC-15 clones.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:54 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Glad to see that one of these sets survives in
outstanding cosmetic condition. Check out the Westinghouse 22" color receiver pictured on my site from a Dec. 1956 Magazine ad.

-Steve D.
Steve D., on your site you show the same model number (22K161) for both the table model and full console. Does this number come from the same ad as the pictures? I notice that the model numbers on jr's set are different (H22T155/H22TU155).

Steve McVoy, did the individuals who reported sets to you give any indication of model number or cabinet type?

jr, many thanks for the wonderful photos - this is certainly among the rarest of the rare! Did you happen to notice if the tube map includes a model number, and if so does it match the one on the model number label?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks again for the comments!

A few answers:

No, the tube layout does not show the model number, my Sams Photofact (#357-1) indicates that it is for "Models H-22T155 H-22T156, H222T157A (Ch.V-2293-11,-31)". Underneath the tube layout chart written on the cabinet is "6-56" ... cabinet mfg date?

Yes, some of the caps look newer... there are also several tubes with date codes in the mid 70s so it appears that some service work was performed before I got the set.

Interesting about the CBS-Hytron 22" crt... I have passed along this info to Peter Keller. Has anybody seen one?

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 09-18-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

JR, I sent you a PM about getting your contact information for our database. Did you get it?
Audiokarma